Where Do We Go From Here ?

gilmour

I would also like to add that I would include every single person that booed the announcement of Vigurs being sponsors man of the match.

That proves to me they're a vindictive bunch that form a skewed opinion and stick to it.

Fraser Kerr was my MOTM today followed by Vigurs who at least attempted to find a way through a tremendous Utd side.

There was absolutely no need for that today. he was by no way the worst on show.

Only heard a small amount of booing, reaction around us was mostly incredulous laughter. Doubled when Angol got the other MOTM. I daresay it wouldn't have mattered what names were read out though there would have been a touch of irony around it.

Got to agree with Steve Diggle re Angol.

In the first half he was the only player in a Well jersey on the left hand side of the park. Sure he didn't have the best of games but FFS what the F**k is he supposed to do with nobody within 30 yards of him to give the ball to.

Even with our normal back four we were in for a cuffing from Utd today.

As Jaffa said after the game it was 4 nothing and we were lucky to get nothing.

Mon the Dossers

ZFA is lost without Hammell .INHO

We hit the transfer window in six / seven weeks and the club will have the opportunity to adjust and add more balance to the squad.

They, and us, will have to make decisions (as if they're not already in the process of) on how that will go, with consequences short and long term dependent on how that goes.

Do we want to take some blows to the chin and move forward from here promoting some of the youngsters? I

That's not something that our support - even though some of them say they want it - will stomach for any more than 3 consecutive bad results. It's something yesterday's visitors can give us a lesson on. Not only does their youth programme yield more, their protégés get way more game time, experience far more patience from the managers office and the stands and overall receive much more all round protection / support.

In this window we could, if the mood took him, see McCall move Ainsworth, Anier and Hutchinson. Potentially move one or two 'different' players on loan while recalling Erwin. There's not a lot of scope, but there is scope.

More immediately there's an international break coming up, providing (between Scotland duties) an opportunity to scribble down some alternative approaches to games / formations etc.

The future's awright, the future's claret and amber. It's just no gonny be orgasmic 'every' week of the year.

Agreed that Zane was struggling on the left yesterday everyone could see it and could sympathise with that.

But if your not playing that well and your team is toiling a bit, play safe and put the ball out of play. Rather than that he gets the ball mid way in his own half pisses about with it while retreating back towards his own goal under pressure rather that kick it out of the park. He put himself and the team in an awful position just after losing a bad first goal. The inevitable happened he ended up on his arse just outside of the box lost the ball and we lost another awful goal.

He is young, and I would like to think that he will learn from yesterday and the Aberdeen game.

Mostly laughter around me when they announced the MOTM and YMOTM. Thought Vigurs played one of his better games yesterday but not MOTM.

We seem to be a team with very little or any movement at the moment. Utd and most of the better teams pass the ball then try to put themselves in a position to receive it again. We pass it to guys like Angol, McFadden etc then sit back and have a "on you go mate" attitude while two or three defenders snuff them out and the ball is lost.

Frustrating stuff at the moment but have real confidence that McCall and his team can turn it around, no other option really.

Far from trolling. McCall has done a fantastic job beyond all expectations but his success has primarily been based on quality players as opposed to tactical awareness. After a very poor attempt at rebuilding the squad in the summer, we are a mediocre team in a very poor league.

Can't imagine he enjoys heading into training to work with the current squad in comparison to the quality we had last season. And something clearly isn't right with training given how unfit we look.

So has it really come as a surprise. Some of our performances including yesterdays?

Not to me it hasn't. We lost 7-8 key players from our 1st team which in itself is a tad unfortunate. For all the players who spoke highly of their time at Motherwell each and every one of them did a runner. McCall has struggled to replace these players and that also is not surprising. Our wage bill will have been cut back by a 6 figure sum.

Whatever you say or believe both Lawson and Vigurs played well in an SPL team that finished top 6 last year. With their fans saying that they were their 2 best and standout players. Hardly a huge gamble, but one that is yet to pay off..

McManus - a solid addition and on the whole I have been happy with his performances.

Neilson - never going to replace either Ruddy or Randolph, but despite some good saves is not proving as an able a goalie as we had all hoped.

Sutton - No better or worse than Higdon. In a way that is a compliment - but he is not getting the service Higgy got last season so hard to compare.

Anier - hit the ground running, but has struggled of late and we are now seeing why he was not geeting a game for Viking. His pace and runs can cause trouble, but cannot hold the ball up and is inept when required to defend from up front!

Faddy - delighted when we signed him for this season and on the basis of last season - not surprising. Has not come close to alst seasons form. It is easier to come into a team that are winning and have pace and flair players such as OJamma, Humphrey and Law. When the onus is on him he has struggled. Does not appear fit.

Ainsworth - shows flashes of a decent player. but fades away when the going gets tough, which it is at the moment.

ZFA - Attacking wise he can perform well and has a few very good games. But is young and VERY inconsistent. He was isolated yesterday, but that was an appalling performance summarised by the second goal. Dribbling back the way from half way line only to lose the ball when the easier option (and one I don't doubt Hammell would have taken) was to simply pass the ball out the par for a throw in.

For the most part we are/will be a solid if uninspiring side this season. Aberdeen, Dundee United have strengthened whilst we have been weakened. St Johnstone and ICT have mostly the same 1st team from last season with a few decent additions.

I think we are better than the bottom 6, but not as good as the other teams in the top 6. Certainly not Aberdeen and Dundee United. So Europe is probably out of the equation but still think we will make Top 6. Unless Butcher can inspire the Hibees.

Yesterday was a sore one and shows we cannot cope with losing 3 of the 1st team back 4. United would still have won, but I doubt it would have been so comfortable.

Hopefully we can get a favourable draw in the Cup if we get through v Albion. take our minds of the league :nod:

The MOTM and YMOTM are picked by folk and friends of folk who work with sponsors who are at the game for their dinner and a glass of wine. We're hardly disagreeing with the wisdom of Alan Hansen

I thought they had picked the award without leaving the bar, mostly laughter and puzzlement from around me when it was announced and more than a couple of Whit the Fs

Not much reaction to the 4th goal possibly because most people were away by then,I was pretty numb by then and just wanted to go back to the pub

Far from trolling. McCall has done a fantastic job beyond all expectations but his success has primarily been based on quality players as opposed to tactical awareness. After a very poor attempt at rebuilding the squad in the summer, we are a mediocre team in a very poor league.

Absolute bollocks. If you can't give Mccall credit for getting the best out of last years players then he's as well giving up just now. Law and Randolph were the only two who arrived as close to the 'finished article', even they improved under Mccall. Higdon, Ojamaa and Ramsden came in with some potential and turned into absolute quality players. Hammell, Humphrey and Lasley all had arguably their best seasons of their careers under Mccall.

Believe it or not there is more to management than 90 minutes on a Saturday. Those players would not have performed last season if it wasn't for Mccall's input every single day.

The man has proved that he can pull players out of a slump (we went on a run of 2 wins in 9 at one point last season). Yes, a harder task this season given the new-ness of the squad, but give him a chance. 3 points off second and 7 clear of the bottom six, if you think we should be doing better under the circumstances than maybe you should support a different team.

Sack Mccall? :laugh:

well the match sponsors gallowway and mcleod were all sitting in front of me pished ! they came in at 6 mins past 3 then 11 mins after 1/2 time and they were not watching the game cause they were all sheep sha___ing fermers talking one load aof minure no wonder they picked the wrong mom /ymom and that is facts !!!!

well the match sponsors gallowway and mcleod were all sitting in front of me pished ! they came in at 6 mins past 3 then 11 mins after 1/2 time and they were not watching the game cause they were all sheep sha___ing fermers talking one load aof minure no wonder they picked the wrong mom /ymom and that is facts !!!!

Farmers and manure experts eh...sounds like the perfect qualifications for judging the

Shite we had on display on Saturday

I have absolutely no problem with them doing so. They've put a bit of money the club's way and I hope they enjoyed the club's hospitality so much they'll do it again and again.

I do however continue to question the savvy of the person/people at the club who thought it appropriate to go ahead with that Man of the Match announcements given the scoreline as it was. Those two players were hung out to dry.

But where do we go from here? To Kilmarnock, hopefully with a defence that will have about 800 games in claret and amber worth of experience restored to it.

Short short term we should send Anier and ainsworth back to their clubs in January and have a serious discussion with Faddy about his future and contract. After that try and bring in a bit of creative quality on loan in January with any money freed up and blood erwin, Moore, Thomas and leitch to get an idea of what they can contribute to the first team.

Next season we have Nielsen, Ramsden, cummins, Kerr, Angol, carswell, lawson, vigurs, Sutton and mchugh signed up. It's unrealistic to see us moving any of them on so there might be hard decisions to be made about renewing lasley, hammell, McManus and Hollis. Hutchy will be off.

We've got a big rebuilding job and not a lot of scope to do it. The opportunity was there in the summer to reload the squad with young, hungry players but McCall chose to go the other way probably expecting a bit of short term success with experienced players winning him a move down south. With the contracts we've got it'll probably be summer 2015 before we can properly rebuild and I would be shocked if anybody in this squad other than hammell, carswell and a few of the younger ones are still here in two years time.

• Like 2

Whether we can match the skills or professionalism of our European opponents, we should at least adopt some of their policies.

• Every team plays to a system where players know exactly what they are doing and are are comfortable in that system.

• All feeder teams play to the same system (from boys club level all the way up to 1st team.)

• The balance of the team doesn't get drastically altered due to an injury or suspension. Someone fills into that vacant position and knows his role.

This season we have been unbalanced in formations and personnel and are constantly changing things because this squad of players can't play to the style of last season. So far any tinkering has not worked!

The next transfer window is going to be crucial if we are going to push into the top 6 and keep any momentum we have had. If not, further cuts will bite and we'll be back to the dog fighting.

S.McCall needs to make the right changes in this window.