Baraclough Out

Bop

He did try and sign Jackson Irvine, who would have performed that role, just couldn't get the deal done. Bolger was another one he went for who also seemed to be as capable at tackling as scoring long range goals. For whatever reason, he hasn't managed to get another strong midfielder in, but I reckon one will come in before the deadline.

Irrespective of cost or whether we could offer Irvine what County were offering him, could this be part of the reason he went there? If we wanted him to be backup to Pearson, and they were offering a greater chance of regular football?

The players are there, but are the players there that are willing to sit on the bench? Lasley is captain and Pearson, when fit, is and should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Not much scope for any new midfielder being a regular starter. Be interested to see the lineup when Pearson, Taylor and Lasley are all available...

Jackson Irvine would have been a nailed on starter for Motherwell.

If we were in for him then fair play to Ross County for offering a more attractive package, he'll go on to be one of the best players in the league.

Regarding Cadden MB, I like him a lot but he plays further up the park than Pearson.

Seems like we are tippy-toeing around the issue in midfield. For seasons supporters have been bemoaning how soft our engine room is. We all know who the common denominator is in those midfields but only one or two here actually come out and say it. THAT is the guy I'd replace, to be honest. Perhaps a discussion for another thread though.

• Like 2

For me, we have better personnel in place than we did last season. However we've failed to click with potential we have on the park and also failed in capitalising on our opportunities in front of goal. I do feel that will happen in time as familiarity and joint confidence grows.

As for why I'm prepared to give him more time ..... His record from late January when he had an influence on players he could play was among the top 4 in the league from memory. However there's been a few occasions where we've both won and lost ugly. Also few occasions where an opportunity to close in on those above us or a lead was squandered with no sense of urgency or fight.

When the fixtures were released I thought 4-6 from the first 5 games. We've got 3.

I also can recall a lot of the players in recent years who were consigned to the scrapheap by fans early in their C&A careers who went on to be integral. Even this season, in the past two weeks I've seen people demanding Taylor's inclusion against Hearts with immediate effect with the assurances I can only imagine of those who had witnessed him recently and had a good working knowledge of his career and game. Now, 3 games under his belt, he's an imposter to some.

It's just knee jerky and I find often on a board such as this people putting down their markers so they can claim a cyber "I told you so" in the future.

I can't dispute some of his tactical decisions have left us exposed after it is made, mainly because substitutions are an easily visible and tangible change for all to see. However, many won't give any credit to in-game tinkering that has increased our performances because they are too busy watching the ball.

If he does go then the club is facing a significant bill to replace him and the background team he's put in place.

Jackson Irvine would have been a nailed on starter for Motherwell.

If we were in for him then fair play to Ross County for offering a more attractive package, he'll go on to be one of the best players in the league.

Regarding Cadden MB, I like him a lot but he plays further up the park than Pearson.

Given Baraclough's obvious decision to go with two wingers, I'd be interested to see who Irvine would have come in for. Lasley, for all his advancing years, has been performing pretty well this season. Pearson is your first choice centre midfielder. Obviously, we need to be looking for a replacement for Lasley but he shows little willingness to give up his place in the side without a fight.

Cadden has the physical attributes to do Pearson's job. Game smarts and tactical awareness may be lacking but we have to, as a club, take the approach that Accies, Falkirk and Dundee United take. Best place to learn is in the first team.

More concerning to me than results (and they're worrying), is the lack of game time seen by our young players. Watt and McLean have been injured but Thomas, Cadden and Leitch have been marginalised...

More concerning to me than results (and they're worrying), is the lack of game time seen by our young players. Watt and McLean have been injured but Thomas, Cadden and Leitch have been marginalised...

East Fife game tailor made for those guys and Kieran Kennedy to stake a claim? Certainly, I think it is worth giving the starting line-up a shake anyway

East Fife game tailor made for those guys and Kieran Kennedy to stake a claim? Certainly, I think it is worth giving the starting line-up a shake anyway

You'd think so but given how badly we need a win, my feeling is Baraclough will play the first team and hope for a morale boosting victory. Injury might mean we get to see Chalmers have a full game at left back. Not sure if Taylor's suspension will count for the league cup. If not, might see him paired with Leitch in order to make sure we're not missing Lasley and Taylor next Saturday. Thomas may feature. Don't know how far away Watt and McLean are. Hoping to see them both in the first team soon...
  • Like 1

It looks worrying that the players are already Downing tools, despite his calm and collected persona, he isn't a popular figure in the dressing room. The team isn't behind him and the fans are turning. He won't be sacked under any circumstances however, so get a comfy place to watch our season disintegrate In front of you.

Seems like we are tippy-toeing around the issue in midfield. For seasons supporters have been bemoaning how soft our engine room is. We all know who the common denominator is in those midfields but only one or two here actually come out and say it. THAT is the guy I'd replace, to be honest. Perhaps a discussion for another thread though.

Absolutely Andy. We often complain that our midfield disappears when we're under pressure or opposition players can run straight at our central defence or we're too soft. As captain and our holding midfielder thats Keith Lasley's responsibility. Unlike others I don't think he's he's played well this season (I wasn't at Tynecastle or Inverness). He's played well in patches but thats about it. On Saturday he couldn't compete with younger, fitter, more aggressive and physical Saints opponents. After 30 minutes or so yesterday he just disappeared along with others of course. In his defence, it doesn't help that he's partnered with either a young player who is unlikely to make the grade or a new acquisition who has been anonymous.

It looks worrying that the players are already Downing tools, despite his calm and collected persona, he isn't a popular figure in the dressing room. The team isn't behind him and the fans are turning.

Do you have inside info on this?

I'd heard the same last season, but the players who weren't on board have been punted as far as I can tell.

For the first time on Saturday I thought he isn't the man, his substitutions all season have been awful.

Despite losing 4 in a row the starting 11 remains unchanged, we have an obvious weakness at right back but he can't seem to see this.

The board have been vocal in backing him as the man for the future of the club but I fear all he can do is talk a good game

It looks worrying that the players are already Downing tools, despite his calm and collected persona, he isn't a popular figure in the dressing room. The team isn't behind him and the fans are turning. He won't be sacked under any circumstances however, so get a comfy place to watch our season disintegrate In front of you.

Some of the best managers of all time haven't been "popular in the dressing room".....As for the players who were supposedly having a pop at him last, i don't expect to see any of them in next Scotland squad

If what you say is true, about players , it Sounds too convenient , when results are poor to say team isn't behind him.

Too many defeats for me , but some of the performances have been o.k, we need to turn single goal defeats into draws

My main concern is that when we don't play well we cannot grind out a result. Even when we do play well in periods in a game we cant put it to bed or defend a lead. It is either all or nothing and I cant remember the last draw we had!! I will give him until end October before I start shouting for his departure but I am getting more concerned at each game and my early optimism is starting to disappear. I look to a team like Ross County and see what an apparently good manager can achieve with not much better players than we have.

I am encouraged by the changes that are happening at the club but results are needed and needed soon or else this investment is wasted and we end up with a good, relatively expensive infrastructure but playing in the championship.

Another big week (how long have we been saying this?)

• Like 1

Maybe. Or maybe it's just too difficult to play 4 in midfield if two of them are wingers.

Or maybe, it's both.

Fixed.

The problem with wingers tracking back is when the defence wins the ball, their only option is to square it to someone in the left or right back slot. That's why maybe 2 wingers doesn't work - as much as I wish it did.

3 mid to defend, and one winger for the out ball.

• Like 1

To me Saturdays game against Kilmarnock is a must win for baraclough i honestly believe if we don't beat kilmarnock he has to go and a replacement manager who knows the scottish game has to be brought in the players are there i don't know why were as bad as we've been results wise

I don't want to come across as the grammar polis but please use commas, full stops or take a new line when you start a new sentence. Reading that gave me a sore head...
  • Like 3

Aye, let's sack our manager before the end of August.

Makes perfect sense. Let him build a squad and then bring in a new gaffer to run it - while losing the assistant too (who seems to be incredibly highly rated).

That wouldn't cause any problems after a pre-season where the team has been learning Baraclough's preferred options. Would just take a few more weeks to bring in a new face. Then a few more weeks to have the new boss get his tactics into the players' heads.

I say go for it.

Or maybe let's have at least one full round of fixtures before sacking people.

Far too many on here thought we'd just stroll back up the league and be pushing for a top half finish this year. It's like they forgot how bad we were last season and how deep the rot had become. This is not a 4 week recovery programme, people - it's going to take 2 or 3 years. That's why the new owner has a 3 year plan.

• Like 7

Aye, let's sack our manager before the end of August.

Makes perfect sense.

It makes perfect sense if we lose to a piss poor Kilmarnock side or get papped out another competition by a so called diddy team.We are already halfway to equaling the shit start of last season and look where that took us.I hope we win the next twenty games but if Barra cannot guide us by these two teams and you add in our recent results then naw, it just isn't good enough .

• Like 1