Motherwell V Dundee Utd Fri 11 Mar 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Managed to record the game and whizz through it on Sky+. We fully deserved to win and some of the football we played was really good at times. When we went in front it looked as if we could've gone on and won by a few if we wanted. I thought Gomis and in particular McDonald were excellent in the middle, and didn't realise Moult had a wee turn of pace about him as well.

Dundee Utd were an absolute disgrace tonight, Paton (I think) should've walked at the end and the WWE takedown on Cadden as well amongst many others. Didn't think it was a free kick for the goal but if the ref deems that a foul then surely the one that did Lasley has to be a penalty...

• Like 1

Morris rugby tackle on cadden and that prick Paton sums them up.

Apparently there goalie was injured with a robust challenge from Paton in training during the week, must be the way mixu wants them to play. Hard to believe the challenges that went unpunished. Even Anier having a swipe at Johnson in front of the ref never even merited a talking. Time wasting and blootering the ball into the stands in a number of occasions, United were one team I didn't really mind but after that performance wouldn't be gutted to see them go down. I was told today before the game we had tried to sign that Edward Ofere in January but were outbid by United. Looked decent for Inverness but not been up to much at Tannadice. Great three points.

• Like 1

Not pretty from United, but it's been working for them recently and sometimes you need to try and battle your way out from their position. Glad to see, like against Accies, we stood up to it well.

Enjoyed the game tonight. Under the floodlights, greasy pitch with the ball zipping around, crunching tackles, open play and some quality in the second half.

You wouldn't see a game like that on plastic in the summer (or the winter).

Enjoyed that last night.

As someone said earlier, reminiscent of McGee's last tenure with the trident counter-attack.

Quite a few good performances.

Johnson seems to be getting back to his best - Just needs to work on his finishing.

Cadden again doing everything asked of him.

Been critical of McDonald on the odd occassion, but linked and held the ball up well again.

Thought Lasley was decent for the time he was on.

United were a bit robust, but not going to criticise that - I'd expect us to be scrapping for our lives in their position as well.

McGhee has us going in the right direction.

Without being presumptuous, pretty excited to see if there's another gruelling pre-season and if we come out all guns blazing like his first season last time round.

First and foremost, I'm really glad that of the two, the club chose McGhee over Mixu. I dread to think where we'd be right now with Mixu at the helm. He's had a lot more financial resource than McGhee and still can't find a solid 11.

To the game, Utd are a team fighting for their lives and were always gonna have a period of dominance and kitchen sink and typically of them, it came early and collapsed with a sucker punch defensive lapse. Whilst we weren't really at it in the first half, we could easily have scored twice through McDonald and Marvin.

By the same measure, Ripley deserves some kudos for some vital saves in the first half and kept us in the game.

As an exile, this was my first opportunity to see Gomis and once playing in his natural position, he did a good job of breaking up play and starting some good counter attacking moves.

The teams work rate in the second half cannot be faulted but the front three in particular, just by their work rate, tracking back and rotation throughout, they really did drag Utds defence all over the place. Moults goal typifies this.

The ref had a bit of a shocker but how often can we say that his shocker was in our favour? We were due some fortune, I just hope the three injuries aren't the counter balance to that.

And finally, BT.....I dunno about anyone else, but the constant focus on the 'was it a red? Was it a foul?' Was really fuckin tiresome !!!

Not one replay of the many good pieces of play or goal opportunities by either team. How Chris Sutton got that gig is an absolute puzzle and after many years of not seeing nor hearing from him, my opinion that Darren Jackson is a greeting weasel faced wee bastard bastard that makes my skin itch has once again been reinforced.

Chris Sutton is a bawbag. Last night''s game was about seeing off a recently resurgent Dundee Utd and although it wasn't pretty at times the win is priceless. A real and credible chance now of avoiding the dreaded bottom 2 and we go into the next 3 very difficult games with nowt to fear.

A massive massive 3 points and a win that surely means we won't at least finish bottom! With us now 10 points ahead of 11th spot, even I believe we have a great chance of avoiding 11th! It's Motherwell though so I won't be counting any chickens just yet!

I thought it was a game of 2 halves last night. McDonald really should've have scored from a yard out though. I thought that was an incredible miss Utd looked much sharper and found lots of space in the first half and it was no real surprise to see them take the lead. Typical of Anier scoring against us after doing virtually noting his entire Utd career so far. Hammell should've played to the whistle though and got a block in. Someone of his experience should know that. I thought that we were a bit fortunate to go in at half time level, not that I was complaining. At the time I thought Dow had went in studs up and it was a foul. The replays show that he took the ball clean as a whistle and his food never left the ground; with his momentum felling Gomis. Ah well…. Great floated delivery from Law meaning it only needed a flick. Law once again was not getting close to their wide left player or putting any pressure on the ball. This has cost us goals ever since he came into the team and it's really basic stuff. The other other talking point of the first half would be McDonalds elbow. I missed it at the game and neither the BBC nor the youtube highlights show it so I've no idea how bad/blatant it was.

2nd was much better and I thought we could've/should've won by more. Marvs effort that hit the bar was going in until it took that deflection. The keeper was quite far off his line and it was a very clever effort.

Paton, Morris and Anier should've been off in my opinion for a mixture of thuggery, rugby tackle/WWF style move and a couple of wee kick out off the ball. The ref seen all of them and shat it on all 3 accounts. They also left the boot in on nearly every tackle and for a team who were time wasting from the instant they scored to then be moaning when we were slowing the game down in the dying minutes was incredible.

I was neither up nor doon about Utd going down but after watching them last night in which they are hands down the dirtiest team I can remember seeing in ages, it's a "fuck them" from me, essentially.

Pretty decent support down for Utd, our crowd was really poor again. Hope Lasley and Pearo are ok.

• Like 1

Listening to McDonald after the game, it sounds like the referee has seen the incident. I was under the impression that retrospective punishment could only be applied to incidents that the referee didn't see...

I don't think so - remember Darren Randolph's challenge on Callum Paterson - upgraded from a yellow to a red. However I seem to recall that the ref changed his mind in his written report and said he'd made an error in letting Randolph lightly.

An important and indeed deserved win for us last night. For me, Moult, MacDonald, Johnson stood out although Thomas, Gomis, Cadden, Lasley, Hall, McManus and Ripley all performed well. Hammell and Law had an off night and gave their opponents far too much space. It was an exciting and open game and perhaps United just deserved to be head at half time. Fortunately we scored the equaliser just before the break and were the better side in the second half. I didn't like the way we sat back in the late stages but we did see our the added time very well.

United were brutal and deserved what they got and more. Anier and Morris should have walked before half time for sly and totally unnecessary off the ball assaults on Johnson. MacDonald was out of order for his elbow admittedly but Paton should have been red carded for his efforts. The bottom line is that the referee lost control of the game. No two guesses what United's pre match meal comprised - raw meat. Although not a major incident, the foul given against Dom Thomas was of for the worst decisions I've seen in years. Thomas took the ball cleanly in an innocuous 50/50 challenge, with no physical contact whatsoever and was deemed to have behaved unfairly.

All in all though a good performance and an excellent fightback. This will do the squad's confidence no harm at all. Credit to the management and players. Things are looking up.

Talk that the foul leading to the goal was not a foul but for me it was a foul any day of the week and should have been a booking. Studs showing, two footed, reckless, dangerous. In European football that could have been a sending off.

I know that people pine for the days of Peter Grant/ Colin O Neill type players and challenges but those days are gone and rightly so. Nothing better than seeing strong robust challenges but that one was dangerous.

Good result. Great to see some fight. Also now seen two great goals from former players at FP this season, Vigurs and Anier. Vigurs one hurt because we lost, Anier one we can enjoy because in the end it did not matter.

Talk that the foul leading to the goal was not a foul but for me it was a foul any day of the week and should have been a booking. Studs showing, two footed, reckless, dangerous. In European football that could have been a sending off.

I know that people pine for the days of Peter Grant/ Colin O Neill type players and challenges but those days are gone and rightly so. Nothing better than seeing strong robust challenges but that one was dangerous.

Good result. Great to see some fight. Also now seen two great goals from former players at FP this season, Vigurs and Anier. Vigurs one hurt because we lost, Anier one we can enjoy because in the end it did not matter.

I think you could argue it was a foul due to the force, for me I'd rather it wasn't, but hey ho I'll go with that. But for the same referee to give that and then not penalise Morris on Lasley which was much more forceful is plain baffling. With my football fan hat on rather than my Motherwell fan hat, I'd rather both were not given.

I won't be enjoying Anier's goal or any other goal against us especially when we have four defenders doing an impression of a wind turbine claiming for offside

I don't think so - remember Darren Randolph's challenge on Callum Paterson - upgraded from a yellow to a red. However I seem to recall that the ref changed his mind in his written report and said he'd made an error in letting Randolph lightly.

Crawford Allan didn't even give a foul for Randolph's challenge on Paterson never mind a yellow card.