2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Pretty depressing for Scottish football. Good luck to the boy but you can't expect Motherwell to pay over the odds for a player who is at least a season away from 1st team action.

What's irritating is the fact that while we will get compensation, if he's that promising we could have been looking at a decent fee in a couple of seasons time...

It's all about balance though. Some will stay some will move on. It's kind of how it works. It's obviously disappointing if players with potential move on but equally if they're moving to clubs that are viewed as a step up it's a positive as long as we're being compensated (and a club in the English Premier League is exactly that). OK it may be disappointing if Robbie Leitch and Ben Hall move under freedom of contract but the balance is surely that we get the development fee and we've kept Cadden, Campbell's signed a new deal as has MacLean.

We've heard all the chat about how the club is trying to position itself as a platform for youth development and most folk are on board with that, some players moving on earlier than expected is something people will have to get used to. Some will stay, some will go and if those moving on are stepping up to clubs such as Leeds (in the case of Erwin) and Burnley then it's placing MFC as a decent platform and pathway.

Thistle moved Jack Hendry on to Wigan last season having only played 8 games and brought in a couple of hundred grand, Falkirk moved Ryan Blair to Swansea on a 3.5 year deal and he had only played 7 games for them. In that respect it's by no means a Motherwell thing that a young player with little first team experience might be profited on, especially if an English club at a certain level is willing to take a punt. It's not a case of the players not being viewed as good enough or not rated, it's about both club and player taking an opportunity when it presents itself.

• Like 6

It's all about balance though. Some will stay some will move on. It's kind of how it works. It's obviously disappointing if players with potential move on but equally if they're moving to clubs that are viewed as a step up it's a positive as long as we're being compensated (and a club in the English Premier League is exactly that). OK it may be disappointing if Robbie Leitch and Ben Hall move under freedom of contract but the balance is surely that we get the development fee and we've kept Cadden, Campbell's signed a new deal as has MacLean.

We've heard all the chat about how the club is trying to position itself as a platform for youth development and most folk are on board with that, some players moving on earlier than expected is something people will have to get used to. Some will stay, some will go and if those moving on are stepping up to clubs such as Leeds (in the case of Erwin) and Burnley then it's placing MFC as a decent platform and pathway.

Thistle moved Jack Hendry on to Wigan last season having only played 8 games and brought in a couple of hundred grand, Falkirk moved Ryan Blair to Swansea on a 3.5 year deal and he had only played 7 games for them. In that respect it's by no means a Motherwell thing that a young player with little first team experience might be profited on, especially if an English club at a certain level is willing to take a punt. It's not a case of the players not being viewed as good enough or not rated, it's about both club and player taking an opportunity when it presents its

Spot on. We can't pay players what we can't afford, and if they move on and we get compensation (or a transfer fee), then that's fine.

Going from our development squad to one in England, which will have so much moire resources behind it, and getting paid a fair bit more for the trouble seems like a no brainier. Surely if you're good enough you'll make it through the ranks?

Going from our development squad to one in England, which will have so much moire resources behind it, and getting paid a fair bit more for the trouble seems like a no brainier. Surely if you're good enough you'll make it through the ranks?

And if they aren't good enough, they will make there way back to SPFL anyway.

Hi MJW, did you know some people on here post 'pash', absolute 'pash'.

You heard it here first. ;-)

Maybe you'd rather folk didn't post what they'd heard but id rather be aware of what people are hearing and then make my own mind up if it's true or not.

Worst thing I've heard since I found out santa wasn't real.

Well i know that is pure shite with no foundation whatso ever. I can prove it , he left me presents on 25th of December last year.So if it only a rumour or untrue please dont post it

I take your point, but do we need another centre half unless we are getting rid of Laing or Kennedy?

I'm inclined to agree.

Even if Hall goes I got the impression that Ferguson would likely take his space. Playing devil's advocate you could make an arguement that Laing might be earmarked for the right back berth and flag up the point McGhee made after the absolute shoeing we got in Dingwall without McManus at centre half that we were exposed without an experienced player in and the fact that we had to go with Laing and Kennedy. Hutchinson might be a very decent fit in that respect, though I'd imagine it'd be difficult to fit his wage into the budget given the other areas of the park we're having to address.

Either way, I doubt centre half is a priority for us.

Weirdly, a Thistle fan at my work was talking about an ex Motherwell player but had no name.

If he's available at our level of wages, we should be all out to get him. He's worth 10/15 points a season. Laing could go to right back and Kennedy would provide strong competition.

I still think bigger clubs will be interested in him though.

I was told today (no idea if its true), that Thistle have offered Hutchy a contract. If we can't match Thistles wages then it must be bad.

Have to say I'm a bit skeptical about this.

For me Hutchison could easily step into an Aberdeen side, a Hearts side, a Rangers side, a Hibs side. It's well known Thistle have one of the lowest budgets in the league and there are other provincial sides that will pay higher wages - Dundee or Ross County for example.

If Hutchison was available and considering coming back to Scottish football I'm sure there would be a lot more interest from better financed teams.

Hutchie has made massive improvement in his 2 years at Fulham, but I can guarantee he wants to play football week in and out. I do think he will look at options at home and abroad, but don't also rule out coming back to Scotland.

Wish we could take him back on a 2 year deal, but think our present cover wouldn't warrant this.

Can see an Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts return as possible!

£100k for Pearson is a terrible offer.

The signing bonus and agents fee of brining in a replacement would eat up a fair chunk of that we lose one of the few quality players we have.

I agree with this.

£100k is also the difference for each league placing, isn't it? I'd be happy to take the chance and be confident we'd finish at least one place higher with Pearson in the team than we would without.

Things will surely start happening this week as players return from their family holidays. I hope McDonald makes a quick decision. Last year he delayed until well into pre season training before signing. His form at the start of the season was poor for the first few weeks because he had missed the pre season.

When are the players due to start pre season?

Hopefully we will find out who the four new players are soon.

I agree with this.

£100k is also the difference for each league placing, isn't it? I'd be happy to take the chance and be confident we'd finish at least one place higher with Pearson in the team than we would without.

That is precisely my view in this. Despite his age his importance to the team is such that you'd need to be offered daft money, say £250k, in order to accept it.

If Hall and Robbie Leitch are both moving on and we're getting compensation for both, then hopefully it reduces the need for us to take derisory offers for any of our first team players.

As disappointing as it is to lose good young players from our U20 side, if we can bring in transfer revenue without weakening the first team then this can only be a good thing for the club.

Whether it aids the likes of Hall and Leitch in their development. That's their concern...

That is precisely my view in this. Despite his age his importance to the team is such that you'd need to be offered daft money, say £250k, in order to accept it.

Exactly. No one will pay the money that Pearson is worth to us so I'd keep him at all costs.

£100k for Pearson is a terrible offer.

The signing bonus and agents fee of brining in a replacement would eat up a fair chunk of that we lose one of the few quality players we have.

Yep agreed.

I would be very surprised if 100k took him away from us.