2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I wouldn't be :whistling:

Quite possibly our best player on his day, but, we are talking about a soon to be 34 year old who is injury prone. Let that sink in...

Despite his many injuries, in his first year back we actually only one league game he missed, 1-0 over Kilmarnock, through a penalty. When he returns from said injuries, he always seems to look match fit and has some engine for a nearly 34 year old. His goalscoring ratio last season would be envied by many strikers as well.

Even if he does miss ten games next season, the contribution I predict he would give us in the other thirty is worth more than £100k in my opinion.

I can't see it being Hutchy. We could probably only offer less than he was on the last time he was here. I still think he'll end up at Rangers and if not Ibrox then Hearts or Aberdeen.

Good luck to Hall it's a great move. Losing guys like him and Erwin after them showing so little highlights how far we have slipped down the food chain.

I'm not fussed that much at all to be honest, about Hall departing. It differs from the Paul Slane situation as he was a creative attacking player and those aren't that easy to come by. Ben Hall was a decent centre back but he doesn't have any attributes that I don't think we can replace in due course, or even may already have within our squad. Kennedy, Laing and McManus are there as well as Ferguson, who despite me previously not rating him, looked far more accomplished than Hall did in the youth cup final.

If the compensation of £60k a year is to be believed then we would be due £180k for him. That's a decent deal when you consider he isn't the finished article and we got less for Reynolds when he had played over 200 games for us. If that money can either eradicate the need to sell players to an extent or boost the budget a bit then I actually think we might be better off for him leaving.

As for the lad himself, leaving first team football at his age to openly go back to playing under 21s football may be questioned. However, if the move works out for him then fair enough.

• Like 1

I make that the most money we've got for a defender since we sold Stephen McMillan to Wigan for 550k, fifteen years ago.

Didn't we sell Jim Paterson to Plymouth for £250k? On the same day we brought Hammell back.

I guess a positive is its further publicity for us producing players.

Leeds, Fulham, Brighton (x2) and if the Leitch rumours correct Burnley all in for or players.

Whilst it's frustrating losing players cheaply, we appear to be on the radar abd you'd hope sooner or later we get lucky with a decent transfer fee.

I guess a positive is its further publicity for us producing players.

Leeds, Fulham, Brighton (x2) and if the Leitch rumours correct Burnley all in for or players.

Whilst it's frustrating losing players cheaply, we appear to be on the radar abd you'd hope sooner or later we get lucky with a decent transfer fee.

Actually on that score I noticed from the BBC's selective use of quotes from Motherwell website that they elected not to use the line.....

‘Well boss Mark McGhee added: “We are obviously disappointed Ben has chosen Brighton, but this is further vindication of our policy at the club of developing young talent and should give hope to the youngsters currently at the club and in the Academy.

Would it really have hurt them to include that?

Sales backed up by as much publicity and discussion about sales and the next batch of players on the conveyor belt went some way to maximising the sums accrued at NDP and Tannadice in the last half a dozen years or so. I mean the BBC must have single handedly earned United a few grand the way just about anybody from United's youth team that looked at a first team jersey was talked up on their programmes and website.

Bye Ben, enjoy your time at Brighton in the Youth Development squad with the other young Scottish prodigy Jack Harper. Will see you back in Scotland in about 3 years time!!

A 19 year old boy changing his job seems to really upset you.

He came here from N.I and is making a similar step up now. I don't see how we can complain.

• Like 3

He came here from N.I and is making a similar step up now. I don't see how we can complain.

Yeah, I don't really get the issue. People complain about not selling players, then also complain when a young prospect, who has only played a handful of first team games, is poached for a decent development fee.

As I've said previously, Hall has done well this season, rarely looked out of place, but had some howlers in the U20's still. Sure he could become a superstar, but he could equally not kick on and end up playing at a similar level for years.

Sure, I'd have preferred to have the additional competition and watch how he progresses here, but that's football.

I thought Hall did very well last season and was fully worthy of his first team place. Obviously Brighton thought so too.

Difficult for any player to turn down that opportunity, I would have been more upset about it if he had gone to Hibs or another Scottish club as was rumoured. Whether it works out for him remains to be seen but I know he'll be getting paid a lot more than me!

Our youth set up should be there to generate cash for the club so I don't really have a problem with the club selling although its a blow for the first team if we are losing good players but that's something we'll just have to get used to if we want to remain in business.

Chris Cadden will be next so if this is the kind of thing that upsets you you better prepare yourself.

I thought Hall did very well last season and was fully worthy of his first team place. Obviously Brighton thought so too.

Dare say McGhee had a few words in a few ears down there at his old club too, might have been able to talk him up and push the price up a bit...

My thoughts, too. He didn't come into the club until he was 16, and we get a few quid in the bank for moving him on.

He may have done better to follow the Jamie Murphy route and end up at Brighton as a first team choice, or he may kick on to great things sooner. I don't think we did too badly from the deal, though.

EDIT: And I know I broke my commitment of not reading this thread until August, but when I saw the deal confirmed on twitter, I thought I'd jump in.