Scottish Premiership Inverness Caledonian Thistle V Motherwell Wed 28 Dec 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Bit of a mugging but we took our chances. First goal looked a fair bit wind assisted. The Caley lad Cole was lucky not to see Red for a studs up,2 footed leg breaker.

Caley had a lot of play but we defended the box pretty well. Blocked a lot of shots and got heads on a lot of crosses.

Overall great to win and great to see McHugh back. Hopefully that means we see the last of Lasley in a Well shirt

On a side note, I was in the main stand wi the 4 for 40 quid deal, and Caley have some real roasters for fans including such classics as Clueless Screaming Lady ,Mr Tactics, Mr GET IT UP THE PARK and Angry Sweary Old Guy

• Like 3

Our second goal tonight oozed quality. Great control and pass from Clay, Moult holding it up and playing a great ball over the top for McDonald who did what he's done so well his whole career and got his body in between the man and the ball and finished excellently. Moult battled and battled tonight, really wanted him to score. As said at HT, Heneghan was quality tonight, and McHugh fair put himself about considering the injury he had. Great to see Faddy in that big raincoat embracing the players and clapping the 'Well fans at the end, definitely a future gaffer.

Also special mention to our fans, absolutely superb all night and didn't stop singing.

• Like 1

Sounds like we were lucky......Inverness had most of the chances and hit the bar and the post.

Still take it though.

Yes, we'll take it. By all accounts though Inverness had some good fortune too. Did Ainsworth not hit woodwork and Cole was seemingly lucky to remain on the park. A very important result for us which will ensure we're not bottom at Hogmanay irrespective of the result at Hamilton. Credit to the management and players. Great to see Carl McHugh return and last a full game. A huge sigh of relief from me. Safe journey home for our fans.

Listened to the commentators talk for long periods about many things, so that shows how interesting the game was. Sounded dreadful! But the points are ours. Think the club should give free tickets to all those poor souls who went up the A9. I know how windy it can be around the ground up there, and that wind dominated the game by the sounds of it. So let's hope there is a plan to beat the Accies as they are still a team that can beat us. Nice chance to build a buffet.

Two good goals. Clay's is definitely a shot but may have got a wee boost by the wind. Not sure.. Still a stoater though. The second was great. Brilliant pass from Lucas, good run then cross from Moult and Skippy still had a lot to do but tucked it away well after holding off the big defender.

Unconvincing defending and keeping for the Inverness goal.

Hopefully should breed some confidence for Saturday and boost the fan numbers a little. A win could provide a very nice end to a frustrating 2016.

EDIT: Just watched the 2nd goal again. The outside of the boot pass by Lucas is smashing. More of the please!

Clay's is definitely a shot but may have got a wee boost by the wind. Not sure.. Still a stoater though.

From the way it was portrayed in the media I thought Fon Williams had Clay's shot well covered until the wind gave it a horrific swerve or dip. Neither set of highlights show this although the angles weren't good. From the admittedly limited evidence I tend to give Clay a bit more credit - however significant the swerve or dip was, it was a damn fine shot.

Problem with Samson is always rooted to line if ball in 6 yard box which will more often than not leak goals. Watched Leeds game last night and Rob Green must have punched ball out half a dozen times and it ended 20/25 yards away. This to me gives defence confidence if near goal he's coming for it which is the opposite of Samson as shown with caley goal should have came and punched that away as in 6 yard box but rooted as usual.

I would never point to Rob Green as an example of good goalkeeping as that guy is liable to implode at any time.

However, the defence is a unit, and if Samson isn't going to come off his line, others need to deal with that. I mentioned in another thread that Jim Leighton made a career out of never leaving his 6 yard box or catching a cross. His defenders knew that, and Big Eck and Willie Miller took care of it instead.

Of course, that was a particularly high quality defence, and I'm not pretending ours is as good, but there is no reason we can't adopt the same approach. I suspect it's easier to teach a defender to sit deeper and clear those balls than to teach Samson to catch them.