The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

They are nowhere near the team because the people with experience running the team IE the coaching team/ manager obviously think they are not ready to step up, if and when they are they will get a chance,

Not sure I agree. We have all seen enough of MacLean in a first team environment to acknowledge he deserves more opportunities than the current management team provide.

• Like 1

That pretty much describes Utd! They sold GMS/Armstrong/Ciftci/Robertson and thought theyd be fine, now 3 seasons in the championship. And the players they had left were A LOT better than ours!

I'll only really start panicking when we try and sign someone with a famous surname, tbh.

Surely we would all chose the McCall (or McGhee 2007/08) approach? I would far rather one Michael Higdon to Bowman/Fisher/Dimi and one Nicky Law to Grimshaw/Rose/Bigi. In the last month we have regularly went without 4/5 key players but havent came close to giving an academy prospect their debut, for me that suggests our squad is bloated and results imply the competition for places mantra for a club our size is flawed.

Fair point.

One of the reasons I want us to move to a standard back 4 in 2018. Is that the back 3 format we've been running with, and was successful to a point, really restricted certain players from either being selected or playing to their best.

Frear, for example, has done his best in the wingback role. But he's not brilliant at defending and was getting lost in games back there sometimes.

Cadden, another example, is most useful in the wing moving forward. Not as a wing back defending or in the middle. He does fine there. But not his most influential.

Definately! Its a bit sad the likes of McLean or Turnbull are nowhere near the team. Even the lad Livingstone who is a proper left back! But we have guys like Rose & Dunne who seem bulletproof even tho some matches youd struggle to believe theyd ever seen a football

McLean came off the bench against Accies, so i wouldn't say he's "nowhere near the team".

Poor analogy. Im in no way a keyboard manager - privy to information that discounts your claim though...

A crystal ball that lets you see the other timelines where they're playing?

tenor.gif

Surely we would all chose the McCall (or McGhee 2007/08) approach? I would far rather one Michael Higdon to Bowman/Fisher/Dimi and one Nicky Law to Grimshaw/Rose/Bigi. In the last month we have regularly went without 4/5 key players but havent came close to giving an academy prospect their debut, for me that suggests our squad is bloated and results imply the competition for places mantra for a club our size is flawed.

Just look at the home grown players in the Accies squad that beat us last time out.

Scott McMann, 21 years old, 56 appearances

Greg Docherty, 21 years old, 108 appearances

Darren Lyon, 22 years old, 51 appearances

Ali Crawford, 26 years old, 268 appearances

Grant Gillespie, 26 years old, 236 apperances

Ross Cunningham, 19 years old, 9 appearances

Shaun Want, 20 years old, 3 appearances

And our team

Ross MacLean, 20 years old, 15 appearances

Allan Campbell, 19 years old, 25 appearances

Adam Livingston, 19 years old, 2 apperances

In the last 4 seasons, Accies have finished - 7th, 10th, 11th and are currently 9th.

We have finished - 11th, 5th, 9th and are currently 8th.

It's not as if our policy of completely ignoring youth development in favour of 'finding the English lower league gem' has us playing at some stellar level way beyond Accies. We are essentially playing at the same level with very little between the teams (4 points last season, this season currently 1 point) with one play off appearance each in the last four seasons and 7 out of 8 bottom six finishes combined.

What our club policy has done is overload the club with an awful standard of pro footballer, on higher wages than U20s kids would get, for absolutely no gain. Sure you can argue that we have sold Johnson, Heneghan, Moult but what cost? Terrible season after terrible season? For every player sold, we've been landed with 5 or 6 awful players who, over the course of a season drag the actually football we all watch down to an unacceptable level. I used the phrase yesterday but it sums us up to a tee, Motherwell FC has become a revolving door of utter dross since the appointment of Barraclough.

It's almost as if Motherwell football club has forgotten what it is supposed to be. To hell with football, up with human commodity dealing. Finish 10th, play poor football with the worst standard of footballer we've ever had and make £500,000 in transfers. Job done. That's our mentality these days. It stinks.

Now whether academy players should come through the ranks and then be exposed to Robinson's dinosaur football is another question.....anyway in the meantime, managers last a year and every season is a Great Rebuild season.

• Like 5

Just look at the home grown players in the Accies squad that beat us last time out.

And our team

In the last 4 seasons, Accies have finished - 7th, 10th, 11th and are currently 9th.

It's not as if our policy of completely ignoring youth development in favour of 'finding the English lower league gem' has us playing at some stellar level way beyond Accies. We are essentially playing at the same level with very little between the teams (4 points last season, this season currently 1 point) with one play off appearance each in the last four seasons and 7 out of 8 bottom six finishes combined.

What our club policy has done is overload the club with an awful standard of pro footballer, on higher wages than U20s kids would get, for absolutely no gain. Sure you can argue that we have sold Johnson, Heneghan, Moult but what cost? Terrible season after terrible season? For every player sold, we've been landed with 5 or 6 awful players who, over the course of a season drag the actually football we all watch down to an unacceptable level. I used the phrase yesterday but it sums us up to a tee, Motherwell FC has become a revolving door of utter dross since the appointment of Barraclough.

It's almost as if Motherwell football club has forgotten what it is supposed to be. To hell with football, up with human commodity dealing. Finish 10th, play poor football with the worst standard of footballer we've ever had and make £500,000 in transfers. Job done. That's our mentality these days. It stinks.

Now whether academy players should come through the ranks and then be exposed to Robinson's dinosaur football is another question.....anyway in the meantime, managers last a year and every season is a Great Rebuild season.

Thought provoking post!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

If you think this is the worse standard of football we've ever had, you're younger than I thought. More to the point, recent Accies teams have been brutal to watch - especially on the plastic pitch. More brutal than even us in recent years.

I agree the Board lost their way with squad management and bringing through the youth. It's pointless comparing us with Accies, though, as their model has required selling the stadium, putting down a terrible 3G pitch to rent out and directors chipping in on a regular basis. All while their crowds have fallen quite significantly.

And our team

That makes horrendous reading when its laid out like that. Never thought of it like that before.

If you think this is the worse standard of football we've ever had, you're younger than I thought. More to the point, recent Accies teams have been brutal to watch - especially on the plastic pitch. More brutal than even us in recent years.

I agree the Board lost their way with squad management and bringing through the youth. It's pointless comparing us with Accies, though, as their model has required selling the stadium, putting down a terrible 3G pitch to rent out and directors chipping in on a regular basis. All while their crowds have fallen quite significantly.

Most of the players in our team cannot pass a ball.

What annoys me more than anything else is how some fans defend the level of football played.

I've watched some struggling Motherwell teams and sure you can pick out individuals from the past but as a whole they were playing far better opposition and the general standard of player was higher than it is now. They had basic skills at the very least. We have a lot of players who don't.

Nothing will change until higher standards are demanded and I don't see how anyone can say our standards are adequate when it's clear that standards have dropped HUGELY.

• Like 1

So what exactly should Motherwell football club be, in your perfect world we would develop our own players from a young age, they would all make the grade and we would be playing silky soccer at all times and doing well, the crowds would be fantastic lots of revenue streams so we would not need the transfer cash.

Meanwhile back in the real world, very few of the young players we have will make the step up, crowds are down therefore revenue is down so we need to wheel and deal in the transfer market to generate some much needed income that will be used to buy players to make up for the lack of homegrown talent. This is Motherwell in 2018, this is how we operate, and so far this season we had a great start and a trio to a major cup final so we are not doing too bad, granted we are on a feckin poor run currently but that will end and we will push on for a top 6 finish.

Most of the players in our team cannot pass a ball.

What annoys me more than anything else is how some fans defend the level of football played.

I've watched some struggling Motherwell teams and sure you can pick out individuals from the past but as a whole they were playing far better opposition and the general standard of player was higher than it is now. They had basic skills at the very least. We have a lot of players who don't.

Nothing will change until higher standards are demanded and I don't see how anyone can say our standards are adequate when it's clear that standards have dropped HUGELY.

I'm not defending the lack of quality in recent times.

I have seen a few full games at Accies - in person and on Alba etc. and that's keep it in the air as long as possible and kick their opponents. It's physically painful to watch.

The team that Ally MacLeod took over was far worse than out current one, as it's 6th place finish in the First Division confirmed (then jumping to 5th the next season).

That's pretty much Robinson's tactics.

At least he likes crossing the ball too.

However, like I said in a previous thread, if his plan is to get rid of the few ball players we have, I'll not be rushing back 3000 miles to see my next game.

That makes horrendous reading when its laid out like that. Never thought of it like that before.

In this case 2 negatives do not sadly make a positive.

You can address this season (so far) in a hundred different ways. Some posters (without naming names) dwell on the negative each and every post virtually. Whilst there is always truisms and merit in their posts and valid points they are simply far too negative.

I am amazed at what certain fans expect from a player budget which if recent media articles are to be be believed put us as the 2nd lowest payers in the league and only above Accies by £1000 PA. For me I do not expect a squad full of players that are fantastic footballers in each and every game.

Ya Bezzer may not like our current model, but we have been far more successful of late than virtually every other club in the top flight (barring Celtic) at bringing in transfer money. Which for a fan owned club is vitally important to survive.

If I was offered a cup final and 2 points off 6th place come the winter break I would have grabbed at that with both hands. I am quite sure 95% of fans would have too. I fully accept the form of late has been poor and if not corrected will yet again risk our top flight presence, but we will only know that as we come towards end of Feb and into March.

I have been watching the Well since 1974 - albeit not every week until the 90s but to say the football played this season is up with the worst is in my humble opinion nonsense. Up until we were missing the best part of half our team we were a match for everyone bar Celtic. Moult will be a huge loss and unlikely we will manage to replace him. Let see what the transfer window brings and try to stay positive even if that concept is beyond a few posters.......

• Like 1

And our team

You could add Chris Cadden to that list. Stick Hammell on it too for a laugh. That's us up to 5.

We could have just kept Dom Thomas, Craig Moore, David Ferguson, Fraser Kerr and Jack Leitch and we'd be in youth team heaven with 10. It would be shite though.

Las in nets.

My point is a lot of players from the youth teams have had games and not been good enough over the piece.

They need to be good enough to play.

• Like 2

• Andy_P locked this topic