Jump to content

Kmcalpin

2019-20 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

That article has the usual whiff of made up shite. However, 500k would be lowball for our best player at the moment, who also has a year and a half on his deal and is a Scotland international. 

We’re in a position that we don’t need to accept a bid unless it meets our valuation (which I’m sure has gone up since July), but I’m at peace with us selling him if that valuation is met. To get 750k for someone we just signed for free half a season ago would be some business. 

We seem to have some promising prospects in Hussein and Devine, with Hartley, Dunne, Mugabi and Maguire in the meantime. We also don’t seem to have a problem signing good defenders. 

 And that’s Manzinga in the photie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be looking for nearer one million for Gallagher. We definitely need to be signing a centre forward if we want to looking at Europe next season, we simply have no one to fill that position that’s going to get the goals we need to stay in the top three. Is European football actually worth much financially ? not sure but we certainly gain financially by finishing higher up the league and it would surely also attracts better players for next season, certainly if we are playing in Europe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Cole and Main both demonstrated we don't need a world beater who bangs in goals  up front just someone who can do the basics of forward play to bring the other attacking players into the game and get us up the park.

If we can't find a player who clears that low bar then it's a black mark against our recruitment team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

As Cole and Main both demonstrated we don't need a world beater who bangs in goals  up front just someone who can do the basics of forward play to bring the other attacking players into the game and get us up the park.

If we can't find a player who clears that low bar then it's a black mark against our recruitment team. 

Cole showed signs he could score kind of consistently. Main wasn’t except his first 6 months, after that he pretty much had forgot how to score a goal. 
 

I actually really like Long when he gets the ball and gets going at people he’s very good or when played in behind but the problem with him is he tends to go in and out of games. He has proved that he brings something to the team and can score goals but the same thing is consistency in front of goal.
 

However, ideally we’d like someone who will be like a higdon or moult for us. Be able to terrorise defences and chip in with goals and play well in our style. First and foremost for a striker is they take their chances in front of goal and we need someone to score 15-20 a season. Where as Long can score but seems more of someone who’ll hit maybe 10 a season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uberbernie said:

If true he could prove to be an excellent signing. Same kind of mould as Ariyibi with flair and lightning quick that creates loads of chances. Would add that more quality  I spoke about earlier with our wingers I think. Won’t get too overly excited but we aren’t linked with players usually so never know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wingers are my favourite kind of player, I love them, I am one too. No one is happier seeing a good winger than me.

We don't need more wingers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Wingers are my favourite kind of player, I love them, I am one too. No one is happier seeing a good winger than me.

We don't need more wingers.

Of the wingers we currently have the only one to produce on a consistent basis is Hylton. James Scott is a good young player but still has a lot to learn, Seedorf the same, Ilic we don’t know much about and hope he can bring something. Long can play there if needs must and we bring in a better striker. Cole is away and he played quite a few games there as well. 

I’d say we need one with some added quality in that area if we are to push for 3rd spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure in theory we could improve every single position, but our limited resources should be aimed at the holes we have. We'd be as well not signing anyone if we can't get a striker.

We desperately need someone that can keep defenders occupied and bring the wingers into the game, and make doubling up on them a more difficult proposition. We already have 5 players for 2 wide spots, and arguably no one for centre forward.  This also makes changing our system pretty difficult.

Manzinga is a wild card because he just can't stay fit,  and there isn't much to judge McIver on, which means we will have to keep going with Scott or long centrally. Scott doesnt want to play there and long can't hold the ball up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I'm sure in theory we could improve every single position, but our limited resources should be aimed at the holes we have. We'd be as well not signing anyone if we can't get a striker.

I agree that a striker should be our number 1 priority but I'm still concerned at at our lack of cover in central midfield. Yes, we have plenty of bodies who can play in central midfield but how many of them can play well in a defensive role? I'm not 100% convinced of Donnelly but he's the best we have and there's no-one to fill in for him when he's out as we've discovered to our cost several times.  its quite a large squad that we have but slightly unbalanced in some areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree that a striker should be our number 1 priority but I'm still concerned at at our lack of cover in central midfield. Yes, we have plenty of bodies who can play in central midfield but how many of them can play well in a defensive role? I'm not 100% convinced of Donnelly but he's the best we have and there's no-one to fill in for him when he's out as we've discovered to our cost several times.  its quite a large squad that we have but slightly unbalanced in some areas.

O’Hara, Sloth and Maguire can all play in Donnely’s position.  Out of those three I would say Maguire is the best backup option, O Hara I am not sure about and well Sloth - does he play football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, johnstone said:

O’Hara, Sloth and Maguire can all play in Donnely’s position.  Out of those three I would say Maguire is the best backup option, O Hara I am not sure about and well Sloth - does he play football.

I think we’ll see a lot more of Sloth in the 2nd half of the season. I don’t think O’Hara is as bad as everyone had made out and thought he had an OK game against accies. Not against Maguire playing there either but feel in the run in if Donnelly isn’t fit then O’Hara would be his back-up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I think we’ll see a lot more of Sloth in the 2nd half of the season. I don’t think O’Hara is as bad as everyone had made out and thought he had an OK game against accies. Not against Maguire playing there either but feel in the run in if Donnelly isn’t fit then O’Hara would be his back-up. 

Sloth? Seeing him based on what? The manager stated he has youngsters ahead of him.

O’Hara? Defensive midfielder he isn’t. As much as the midfield unit failed he was the weakest link against Accies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Sloth? Seeing him based on what? The manager stated he has youngsters ahead of him.

O’Hara? Defensive midfielder he isn’t. As much as the midfield unit failed he was the weakest link against Accies.

Clearly had problems in the first half of the season so maybe the training camp away has giving him so new life like Gorrin last season. 

O’Hara had a good solid game against Killie and at Accies every player on the park played their part in that loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

So Leigh Griffiths on loan seems to be doing the rounds, thoughts?

Could do a very good job for us if we were able to get him for the rest of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Could do a very good job for us if we were able to get him for the rest of the season

I know he has returned for Celtic but is he actually mentally stable and in the right frame of mind to play football similarly to McCormack. Of course on paper he should be an excellent addition for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

So Leigh Griffiths on loan seems to be doing the rounds, thoughts?

This the 1st time I have seen this rumour. 
Fanciful at least until Celtic sign another striker and even then I doubt it.
Be a gamble but you can imagine the furore if he scores v h**s and we get a result :-)

He would certainly split opinion but a fit and able Griffith’s would be better than anything we could afford.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first noticed the rumour on twitter, seen a celtic page post it, and another celtic fan followed it up by saying he had been offered to us, whether or not there is any truth in it, who knows.

Seems to be gathering momentum with some well fans on twitter/facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

So Leigh Griffiths on loan seems to be doing the rounds, thoughts?

I think that would be a great bit of business,  he needs games and he wont be starting  for Celtic,  so why not, would he come to Fir Park though, heard earlier chat of a return to Hibs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few Celtic fans I know were talking about this a while ago.

Given his off field issues I'd pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely one that would split opinion, i would take the chance, off field issues or not, if he can get the half player he was at Celtic for 6 months then we have got a player on our hands, Can be no worse than Mccormack surely haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Green from Barnsley is a goer so I’ve heard, could be useful for us in the second half of the season. See what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fit and healthy Griffiths would be an excellent signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×