2019/2020 Game 3: Hamilton (A) August 24th 3pm Kick off

David

2019/2020 Game 3: Hamilton (A) August 24th 3pm Kick off  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will we get on against Accies?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/24/2019 at 01:55 PM

So, Accies up next as we come into the game with two losses in our last two games, conceding seven goals. 

With Hibs at home after this game, and Hearts away following that, I think we really need to get something here as it could be the case that we get fuck all from the next two games, which would turn what looked like a positive start to the season with our League Cup games into a bit of a nightmare.

Anyone think we should make some changes? I've been back and forth over the idea of bringing Carson back in, and even Hartley to try and add some "oomph" to the defence. Not sure Robbo will make those kinds of changes though.

I'm presuming at least one winger will be dispensed with for a "batten down the hatches and hope to sneak a goal" shitfest strategy on a crap surface. Without a Moult, it's difficult to see where the goals will come from, apart from a set piece (cue easy 0-3 victory, knowing us?). It would seem harsh to drop Gillespie but his giving away of that crazy penalty (and his defence of Griffiths' spot-kick) shows he's shaky at the moment, so Robbo has a big decision to make there.

It will be very interesting to see how the players respond to the public gralloching they got from their manager. Another feeble, disjointed performance would set some alarm bells ringing (especially on here), so this is a big, big game for us.

Can't possibly play Hylton or Seedorf or Illic in this game even this early we badly need a win so I'd go for physical players all over the pitch so I would go with 

Gillespie Tait Hartley Gallagher Dunne Cole Grimshaw Campbell Mcguire Carroll Scott. 4-5-1 it ain't going to be pretty never is over there but we need players who will give their all 

A change is definitely needed for this one. For me, we need to start to become hard to beat once again. 

-----------------Gillespie 

-----Gallagher-----Hartley----Dunne 

Tait---------Maguire---Campbell-------Carroll 

---------------------Sloth------------------

--------Scott-----------Cole---------

2-1 Well. 

3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Long was among the less shit performers on Friday, for me he deserves a start before Cole, Seedorf or Hylton.

Accies centre backs will put him in their back pockets he is just not big enough to play through the middle himself  and he can't hold the ball up 

• Like 1

Glad everyone is back on form with their dismissing of every player we signed after 3 league games. 

While it's inevitable not all of them will make the grade, it's also inevitable that if you come from a lower league it will take more than 3 games to get up to speed,

I believe the medical term is "Chris Porter Syndrome" (not be confused with "Bob Malcom Syndrome" where people insist how good a player is going to be before he's kicked a ball).

It is going to be a terrible game, though. In the history of the SP(F)L, there has never been a good game on plastic between any two teams.

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It is going to be a terrible game, though. In the history of the SP(F)L, there has never been a good game on plastic between any two teams.

While I agree, there have been occasional outbreaks of football on the Rugby park surface. I think part of the problem at NDP is that Hamilton have a great ability to drag teams down to their level, particularly on that surface.

Whilst I love seeing a healthy Motherwell travelling support as I’m sure do the team. I hope the Motherwell fans vote with their feet and there’s a noticeable drop in the attendance as a result of trying to squeeze a few extra quid out of us.

At least it will avoid the farcical queues to get in and folk spending the first 20 minutes being ushered into a full stand before the gazebo opens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Glad everyone is back on form with their dismissing of every player we signed after 3 league games. 

While it's inevitable not all of them will make the grade, it's also inevitable that if you come from a lower league it will take more than 3 games to get up to speed,

While I agree with you, there are some instances where there are both tell-tale signs that a player is out of his depth and a history of him not cutting the mustard at similar levels in the past.

I personally know a Bradford season ticket holder who told me the day after we signed Seedorf that he was a terrible footballer. I think he played something like 10 games for them, and my friend said he was "incredibly quick over distance, can get off the mark like a bullet, but isn't a footballer." His opinion is that Seedorf is more of a runner than a footballer, saying that "his control is terrible, his crossing is shambolic, and he isn't made for the physical aspect of the British game."

Those quotes come from a text that I was sent the day after he signed.

He also said he wasn't all that impressed by Devante Cole at Bradford either, claiming that he's "rubbish." 

Now, I know we can't really look solely at what a player has done in the past to make up an opinion on them, but I have to ask, what exactly is Robinson and his management team basing their assessments on before they sign these guys? Do they have them watched by our scouts? Cole played something like 16 games for Burton Albion last season, while Seedorf played nine games in the Spanish 3rd tier. 

At least Hylton and Sloth have been playing games regularly, so theoretically our management team could have actually seen them. But the other two? Especially Seedorf? I don't know where the information could come from to sign them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David said:

While I agree with you, there are some instances where there are both tell-tale signs that a player is out of his depth and a history of him not cutting the mustard at similar levels in the past.

I personally know a Bradford season ticket holder who told me the day after we signed Seedorf that he was a terrible footballer. I think he played something like 10 games for them, and my friend said he was "incredibly quick over distance, can get off the mark like a bullet, but isn't a footballer." His opinion is that Seedorf is more of a runner than a footballer, saying that "his control is terrible, his crossing is shambolic, and he isn't made for the physical aspect of the British game."

And yet Seedorf was signed by Wolves - so there must have been some professional football coaches who thought he could contribute to that level of English football. So you have to assume they saw some basics there they thought they could work with.

As I said, there are definitely signings that won't make it - that is a given at any club. But there are countless examples of players who just didn't fit a team or a style that have developed into good players, even at our club. (Skippy is the classic one).

When we sign most players we're taking a punt that we can make them better - that is our model now, and will continue to be our model for the forseeable future. If the expectation among the fans is they are all going to be playing at their peak in August, they are going to be disappointed every season. 

1 minute ago, Haggischomper said:

Early days, obviously, but Seedorf seems like the second coming of Petravicius. Hopefully that changes and Robinson and Lasley somehow are able to get something out of him, although I don't have too much faith in their capabilities.

They managed OK with Ariyibi. He couldn't pass, shoot, cross or hit a dead ball when he joined us.

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And yet Seedorf was signed by Wolves - so there must have been some professional football coaches who thought he could contribute to that level of English football. So you have to assume they saw some basics there they thought they could work with.

It's worth remembering that the Wolves Seedorf signed for isn't the Wolves we know today.

Paul Lambert was the manager, and he was the 4th manager they'd had in the dugout that season in one capacity or another. They were six points above the relegation zone in the Championship when Seedorf signed, and they eventually finished 15th.

He never kicked a ball for Wolves at senior level, and managed 10 games for Bradford in League One down south, before nine games for Jumilla in the Spanish 3rd tier. Again I ask, what has he done over that period of time, in the two and a half years since he signed for Wolves, that would make our management team think "Yup, he's the guy for us down the left."

37 minutes ago, weeyin said:

They managed OK with Ariyibi. He couldn't pass, shoot, cross or hit a dead ball when he joined us.

Ariyibi had played almost 140 games at League One level when he arrived at Fir Park, and by the time he'd just turned 22 and signed for Forest he had played 98 or so League One games. 

Seedorf signed for us at 21 and had seemingly played less than 20 games in his entire career at senior level.

There's a huge difference, and I don't think you get to 140 odd League One games if you're a winger who can't pass, shoot, cross or hit a dead ball.

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

When we sign most players we're taking a punt that we can make them better - that is our model now, and will continue to be our model for the forseeable future. If the expectation among the fans is they are all going to be playing at their peak in August, they are going to be disappointed every season. 

No, I agree that we sign players looking to make them better. But there surely has to be something there to begin with? Something to improve upon to make them better? I see none of that with Seedorf in particular. He's done absolutely nothing in his career to suggest he's a footballer. I'm baffled as to how he even found his way onto our radar to be honest.

I always head over for the derby and haven’t missed one since Accies return to the top flight.

However I am seriously considering giving this a miss due to cost, the fact we are shite and the plastic pitch.  

The only reason I will potentially attend is the fact I might not make another game until early October due to holidays and weddings. 

I also can’t believe people are actually wanting us to go back to 3-5-2. The football we played in the formation was utterly abysmal and I don’t think we have the personnel to change. 

If anything a 4-4-2 with two strikers up top. Scott and Long for me at the moment.  But would leave us short in midfield.

• Like 1

Part of our model is signing players with raw attributes that can’t be coached (in this case pace) and hoping we can coach the rest. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t.

Saturday is going to be a terrible game, and it’s probably a good thing that it won’t be on the live stream. Despite all the chat after the hearts game, the only change will be Carroll in for Grimshaw.

Did sloth enter fir park via the Holm Kraska door?

3 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Not much to add in terms of team selection but definitely need more fight. 

£40 for me and the boy though. 

I’ll pass. Shower of *****

Quite telling how many people I know who have said the same thing. It will be interesting to see what the away attendance is on Saturday

15 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

I always head over for the derby and haven’t missed one since Accies return to the top flight.

However I am seriously considering giving this a miss due to cost, the fact we are shite and the plastic pitch.  

The only reason I will potentially attend is the fact I might not make another game until early October due to holidays and weddings. 

I also can’t believe people are actually wanting us to go back to 3-5-2. The football we played in the formation was utterly abysmal and I don’t think we have the personnel to change. 

If anything a 4-4-2 with two strikers up top. Scott and Long for me at the moment.  But would leave us short in midfield.

We won’t be attending, don’t agree with the increase in pricing so Hamilton won’t be getting a penny out of us until they have a rethink.