Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

And chose Wes Fletcher ahead of him.

Seemed to realise the error of his ways quite quickly. Although given Fletcher scored on his debut then got injured the following week, I often wonder what might have been for Fletcher and Moult but for that injury...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Seemed to realise the error of his ways quite quickly. Although given Fletcher scored on his debut then got injured the following week, I often wonder what might have been for Fletcher and Moult but for that injury...

The Fletcher injury which kept him out for a few weeks made that particular decision for him I think and when Moult started scoring he never looked back.  But Bara had McDonald there signed Clarkson, Moult and Fletcher and then within a couple of weeks of the season starting signed Robinson too.  There comes a point when having options becomes throwing mud at a wall and seeing if something sticks.

But yeah the Fletcher/Moult thing is a bit of your sliding doors type moment isn't it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Seemed to realise the error of his ways quite quickly. Although given Fletcher scored on his debut then got injured the following week, I often wonder what might have been for Fletcher and Moult but for that injury...

Fletcher was not a bad footballer, saw him play for York a good few times and he was quick but injuries did for him. Not convinced about his attitude though, he was always pretty sullen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

And chose Wes Fletcher ahead of him.

Wes Fletcher made a decent start scoring in the first game away at ICT. Moult's debut was not as impressive.  I am sure if you asked many Well fans in the month of August who was going to be the better of the two, many would have gone with Fletcher. Hindsight ofcourse makes a mockery of that. 

You made the point about the East Fife game and yes he did suffer abuse that night. To me it backs up the opinion that some Well fans were never going to give him time. It is no crime to not know your best 11 in the month of August. Baraclough was not given the time to get it right maybe rightly so maybe not. 

I don't remember McCall receiving the same flack for losing to Icelandic part-timers in the early part of the season. Infact many Well fans used it as an example of why you cannot expect consistency when bedding in new players and getting up to speed physically. 

I would not hang my hat on the argument that sacking Baraclough was wrong (it may have been) but I am confident in my view that there were a good proportion of the support that were not keen to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCall picked up 7 points in the season he left us. I loved having him at Fir Park, but that was a disaster.

A rot like that setting in has condemned many a team to relegation (see Hibs, Hearts, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Partick Thistle) and by turning that around for us I'll happily forgive Baraclough's dodgy start to the following season.

The current gaffer was brought in to assist him that season too, so it all worked out in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, star sail said:

Wes Fletcher made a decent start scoring in the first game away at ICT. Moult's debut was not as impressive.  I am sure if you asked many Well fans in the month of August who was going to be the better of the two, many would have gone with Fletcher. Hindsight ofcourse makes a mockery of that. 

You made the point about the East Fife game and yes he did suffer abuse that night. To me it backs up the opinion that some Well fans were never going to give him time. It is no crime to not know your best 11 in the month of August. Baraclough was not given the time to get it right maybe rightly so maybe not. 

I don't remember McCall receiving the same flack for losing to Icelandic part-timers in the early part of the season. Infact many Well fans used it as an example of why you cannot expect consistency when bedding in new players and getting up to speed physically. 

I would not hang my hat on the argument that sacking Baraclough was wrong (it may have been) but I am confident in my view that there were a good proportion of the support that were not keen to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

 

Very true, Moult did not look that fantastic when he first joined us, Fletcher looked the better prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, star sail said:

Wes Fletcher made a decent start scoring in the first game away at ICT. Moult's debut was not as impressive.  I am sure if you asked many Well fans in the month of August who was going to be the better of the two, many would have gone with Fletcher. Hindsight ofcourse makes a mockery of that. 

You made the point about the East Fife game and yes he did suffer abuse that night. To me it backs up the opinion that some Well fans were never going to give him time. It is no crime to not know your best 11 in the month of August. Baraclough was not given the time to get it right maybe rightly so maybe not. 

I don't remember McCall receiving the same flack for losing to Icelandic part-timers in the early part of the season. Infact many Well fans used it as an example of why you cannot expect consistency when bedding in new players and getting up to speed physically. 

I would not hang my hat on the argument that sacking Baraclough was wrong (it may have been) but I am confident in my view that there were a good proportion of the support that were not keen to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

 

The Fletcher reference is a statement of fact rather than any slight on his abilities.  As Melvin has alluded to, but for the injury who knows how their respective Motherwell careers may have turned out.

I would personally disagree with you on the selection element for Inverness. Of course I can only speak for myself but having seen neither of them before the pre-season games I took in (Livingston rings a bell) to me even then Moult looked the more impressive of the two.

On fans refusing to give him a chance and the comparison with McCall that's an interest point to consider but by the same token we should remember there was a lot of goodwill and admiration for him as we went into the new season for managing to keep us up and the manner of those play-off victories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official twitter confirming Dunne has signed a new short term deal

@MotherwellFC: Charles Dunne has signed a new short-term deal with the club, as he continues his recovery from injury.

Unsure if this means SR thinks he has a longer term future with us when / if he gets fit or we are just doing the decent thing and not releasing him when  he is injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Sky now reporting he has been offered job. 

Here’s hoping......

To be fair to Bara his record at under 21 level is almost 1 win in 2 so he probably deserves a shot at the job.  Good luck to him.

What’s the chances of Robbo being his assistant during International Breaks ?  Something similar as McCall with Scotland 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing two Well managers interveiwed for same international managers job. Then one actually getting it. That reflects well on our club. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

The Fletcher reference is a statement of fact rather than any slight on his abilities.  As Melvin has alluded to, but for the injury who knows how their respective Motherwell careers may have turned out.

I would personally disagree with you on the selection element for Inverness. Of course I can only speak for myself but having seen neither of them before the pre-season games I took in (Livingston rings a bell) to me even then Moult looked the more impressive of the two.

On fans refusing to give him a chance and the comparison with McCall that's an interest point to consider but by the same token we should remember there was a lot of goodwill and admiration for him as we went into the new season for managing to keep us up and the manner of those play-off victories. 

As with you Andy P I attended the Livi game and from these eyes there was little doubt that for application, determination and a nose for goal Louis was far in away the brighter prospect. 

Add to this was his modesty in not asking to be the number 9. Fletcher meanwhile let his mouth run ahead of him insisting on being the number 9 .

Rest was history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was weird watching  Norwich v Man Unt and the commentator mentions that Barra got the Ireland job. I wasn't aware that he'd got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, postiejim said:

that was weird watching  Norwich v Man Unt and the commentator mentions that Barra got the Ireland job. I wasn't aware that he'd got it. 

Confirmed here. (on the Beeb)

Always thought he was the front runner given the success he's had in his current role.

Quote

Ian Baraclough has been confirmed as the new Northern Ireland manager following talks over the past 24 hours involving his agent and the Irish FA.

The 49-year-old's appointment was ratified at an IFA Board meeting on Saturday after terms had been agreed.

It is believed that his contract will be until the end of the 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Baraclough will succeed Michael O'Neill, who appointed the Englishman as his Under-21 manager in 2017.

The appointment will provide the Irish FA with the continuity they said they were looking for following O'Neill's departure to Championship club Stoke City.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we can get another couple of seasons out of Robinson now before he moves on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Hopefully we can get another couple of seasons out of Robinson now before he moves on.

Yes. Was never 100% sure he’d stay until the official announcement was made. This will give us more continuity going forward and will help our preparations for the new season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Hopefully we can get another couple of seasons out of Robinson now before he moves on.

What do you mean, first defeat and it will be “Robinson out“

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barraclough must give a hell of an interview.

Last I looked NI U21s hadn't won in 6 games and were second bottom of the group on 0 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Barraclough must give a hell of an interview.

Last I looked NI U21s hadn't won in 6 games and were second bottom of the group on 0 wins.

Over all record: Played 19, Won 9, Lost 4. Not a bad record at all for a diddy nation. That, the continuity factor and his record at Sligo Rovers have obviously done it for him. Happy days for us really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Over all record: Played 19, Won 9, Lost 4. Not a bad record at all for a diddy nation. That, the continuity factor and his record at Sligo Rovers have obviously done it for him. Happy days for us really. 

And includes results like beating Spain in Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that he didnt incur any compensation fee being paid cannot be overlooked.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson probably put in a word for him, keep the seat warm mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson said in an interview a while back when this came up, perhaps partly tongue in cheek, that he didnt fancy  the man who followed Michael O'Neill given his success. 

Whilst I'm sure Robinson would have taken the job if offered this could be better for him in the long run regards the national job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Andy_P said:

It was dire in the few months of that new season.  He was backed and was allowed to bring in a number of players in January and he was similarly backed in the summer and signed player after player after player but with seemingly no idea what his strongest team was.  Results and performances were largely awful. Getting out of jail at East Fife on a night he endured some of the most stinging abuse at close quarters I've heard a Motherwell manager receive at a game suggested he'd lost some of the support even then.  Meekly losing a third successive derby at Hamilton.  And the Cappielow result and subsequent events in the dressing room was obviously the final straw.  It wasn't a surprise at all that corrective action was taken.

Excuse my ignorance, can you expand on this? Some might call it luck, but I lived abroad for the Playoff season and the beginning of the following year and so was fairly out the loop on things other than what the score on a Saturday was.

The only vivid memory I have from those seasons was listening to commentary of the first leg of the play-off final in an airport departure lounge. It was still 0-0 when we took off, spent the duration of the flight fearing the worst - you can only imagine the relief at turning my phone on and seeing we'd skelped them 3-1 at Ibrox! :D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

Excuse my ignorance, can you expand on this? Some might call it luck, but I lived abroad for the Playoff season and the beginning of the following year and so was fairly out the loop on things other than what the score on a Saturday was.

The only vivid memory I have from those seasons was listening to commentary of the first leg of the play-off final in an airport departure lounge. It was still 0-0 when we took off, spent the duration of the flight fearing the worst - you can only imagine the relief at turning my phone on and seeing we'd skelped them 3-1 at Ibrox! :D:D

Sure,  things hadn't been great in the run up to the League Cup game. Only wins since the opening day were a 1-0 win over Killie from a penalty and scraping past East Fife in the previous round of the Cup.  We'd also lost to Hamilton on the Saturday.

For the Morton game Moult, McDonald, Lasley and Ainsworth were all on the bench and only a 90th minute equaliser took it to extra-time. We still managed to blow it and lost 3-2.  There was a side story of the police and stewards being completely OTT whilst all this was going on but that's another story.

Barraclough was dismissed pretty quickly  in the days following the game and it emerged that there had an altercation in the dressing room which was mooted to have been a factor with punches having said to have been thrown.  I don't know if names were actually confirmed but Lionel Ainsworth and Stephen Robinson were speculated to have been two of those involved. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Sure,  things hadn't been great in the run up to the League Cup game. Only wins since the opening day were a 1-0 win over Killie from a penalty and scraping past East Fife in the previous round of the Cup.  We'd also lost to Hamilton on the Saturday.

For the Morton game Moult, McDonald, Lasley and Ainsworth were all on the bench and only a 90th minute equaliser took it to extra-time. We still managed to blow it and lost 3-2.  There was a side story of the police and stewards being completely OTT whilst all this was going on but that's another story.

Barraclough was dismissed pretty quickly  in the days following the game and it emerged that there had an altercation in the dressing room which was mooted to have been a factor with punches having said to have been thrown.  I don't know if names were actually confirmed but Lionel Ainsworth and Stephen Robinson were speculated to have been two of those involved. 

I’m always amazed at your memory. I’m lucky if I can  remember what happened last week.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×