2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

28 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that it was Motherwell that took care of the boys rehab, I would hope that Celtic have absolutely no guarantees in place to get first bite at the cherry. 

Like others I would love us to get at least to the New Year out of DT just to enjoy him a little longer. If he is to go, it would be better for all concerned if he went south. With both Newcastle and Leeds now interested Im sure the chances of Celtic getting him on the cheap are diminishing rapidly.

Well you would hope the club would use the interest as leverage with Celtic, as long as nothing has been agreed in advance which was my worry. If we have the big premiership clubs fighting it out we could gain more than the 3 millions. We all know he won’t be here next season so we  might as well get the maximum we can. We should certainly not be accepting any less than the original offer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, well_said said:

Why were Celtic allowed to have a Representative at a closed door game?

Why not, Its no secret Turnbull is up for sale so the more clubs interested in his services the better for Motherwell,  I suspect the Celtic scout was not the only one watching him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, well_said said:

Why were Celtic allowed to have a Representative at a closed door game?

It's a Celtic scout, no doubt looking through the bins at Fir Park for his dinner and watching the game over the wall from the houses up the Fir Park Street..puddle drinking vermin. 

You know the £1.5m bid is incoming with Lawwell doing an impression of a dodgy East End mechanic sucking in his breath, rubbing his chin and mentioning a 'risk' about a knee and some pandemic...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why not, Its no secret Turnbull is up for sale so the more clubs interested in his services the better for Motherwell,  I suspect the Celtic scout was not the only one watching him.

It's also professional courtesy. Seems a fairly common practice to give scouts/managers from other teams access to games - and the same teams allow our scouts into their games.

Sometimes they want to go unnoticed so they pay their gate money, but that seems to be less common these days. I remember one game where David Pleat was on the Fir Park terrace (so the unnoticed thing didn't go too well).

1 minute ago, Suprawell said:

You know the £1.5m bid is incoming with Lawwell doing an impression of a dodgy East End mechanic sucking in his breath, rubbing his chin and mentioning a 'risk' about a knee and some pandemic...

He can say what he likes. DT is under contract with us for the next 2 seasons.

Its quite funny, people talking about "bidding wars". Clubs know our price, and after him signing a contract extension Id be amazed if there wasnt some kind of release clause inserted. NOBODY is bidding more than £3m for him. Any interested club will match the first bid accepted and look to win him on the sales pitch. Its imperative the club shows a backbone and accepts nothing less than the £3m we accepted last time

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

It's a Celtic scout, no doubt looking through the bins at Fir Park for his dinner and watching the game over the wall from the houses up the Fir Park Street..puddle drinking vermin. 

Got it in one.

59 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

:doh:  have a look at yourself ffs, thats the sort of BS you find on the ugly sisters forums, not on this one.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

No real rush to sell so I hope it's not a case of Celtic make an offer we accept and deal is done.  Wherever he ends up eventually I will wish him the best as he has stood by the club and been very loyal.  COYW

I agree with all of that. But the club stood by DT as well, so loyalty works both ways. We have done very well by injured players in the last few seasons. That wont go un-noticed by any prospective new signings.

59 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree with all of that. But the club stood by DT as well, so loyalty works both ways. We have done very well by injured players in the last few seasons. That wont go un-noticed by any prospective new signings.

Yep totally agree as well with what you say. I just wouldn't want to see him getting a hard time from fans if he signed for Celtic.  If we get good money then it will really help the club on a sound financial footing

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep totally agree as well with what you say. I just wouldn't want to see him getting a hard time from fans if he signed for Celtic.  If we get good money then it will really help the club on a sound financial footing

You would hope that the supporters would understand he did the right thing by the club by extending his contract, many would have refused. He’s moving on regardless, just need to get the best price we can for him, hopefully that’s from a club down south but I still think it will be Celtic for 3 million.

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You would hope that the supporters would understand he did the right thing by the club by extending his contract, many would have refused. He’s moving on regardless, just need to get the best price we can for him, hopefully that’s from a club down south but I still think it will be Celtic for 3 million.

Its never a good idea to sell your best assets to a rival team in the same league, and ideally a move to the EPL or Championship would be best.

But if the Celtic bid  ends up as the only one on the table and it is £3 million with add ons etc then so be it, it becomes a no brainer for the club.

If I was DT, I'd be most concerned about where I was going to get game time at this point in my career. Celtic don't have the best track record for fielding young players they buy (Ryan Christie and Lewis Morgan spring to mind), but I'm not sure Newcastle would be much better in that regard.

However, I'm not DT, and expect he'll make the decision that suits him best (as he should). In the meantime, I just hope we get at least another 6 months from him.

For a “behind closed doors game” it’s pretty disappointing the club are allowing other clubs officials in to watch the games but not our own supporters.

Bit of a difference between a couple of scouts and thousands of fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk