Coincidence?

livivoice

1 minute ago, livivoice said:

Since the new management team have arrived ( both of whom were defenders) the improvement in Mugabi and it's fair to say Lamie has been marked.

Really pleased for the two boys who as we all know had been the target of some serious slagging.

Agree with that, sometimes some fresh ideas about how  to approach the games are all that's needed for players to improve,  plus  a few wins, and not losing any goals improves confidence and performance. 

4 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Can you honestly say both are long term options?

If they continue to improve along with the team I don't see, why not, SoD and Gallagher will probably be away in the summer, so they have the chance to convince GA they are worth a longer deal.

Mugabi has improved significantly as the as the season has progressed - the more game time the better he has become.  For me he lacks the guile to know where to be and get's caught in the wrong position/wrong side of the attacker - Im not sold he will be the solution long term but a decent squad player for sure.

Lamie has improved but he too has many brain farts  -  I just don't see him being a first team regular.  

Lamie was never a terrible player - not a superstar, but never terrible. He was put at a disadvantage by the fact that almost every time he played, he was being put in a different starting position. It's certainly no coincidence that giving a player a few starts in their best position sees them settle in and improve.

Alexander has, largely, had to play the hand he's been dealt at this point in the season so it's good to see he's starting to get the best out of the players we have. He talks about how well we deal with crosses and how he's happy to let opponents have possession in areas where it doesn't hurt us. Whether that is his general philosophy, or whether it's just how he sees the strengths of the current squad, it's working out OK for now.

Personally I don’t see either as long term options but happy to see improvements. Players are certainly written off too early at times, McGinn being another of the latest but even in my time Donnelly and Gorrin are another two  that spring to mind. I think Lamie may be just below Premiership level and does have his moments simply because he’s probably batting above his weight, a good championship level player. Mugabi I’ve never been a huge fan of, a mistake waiting to happen most games but he’s improved no end, just don’t think he’s going to end up keeping his place but hope to be proven wrong because he’s strong and quick at times. For me though if Gallagher goes we need two new centre halves for next season with Mugabi as a back up.

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Can you honestly say both are long term options?

What is a long term option at Motherwell? If they are really good then they will get moved on like Kipre and probably Dec. If they are really shite they will get punted like Straker. Does a long term option mean we have to accept some kind of mediocrity such as Grimy or Dunne had he not got injured?

Both have improved markedly.

I think Mugabi has the potential to he a long term option as he is young, strong and quick. You can see potential there. 

Lamie is doing well at present. But he is a squad player and we shouldnt be relying on him as a first team starter.

Mugabi has the potential to be a long term fixture in the team the longer he gets to play and work with a decent defensive coach. I've said before he is in the same boat as Kipre was when he arrived,  In the game he played as a triallist there was another defender playing as well and anybody who saw them that night thought we had signed the wrong player but the longer he played and got some experience the better he became. I think Mugabi could be the same. He is raw and has rough edges but he is improving week on week so give him a chance.

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Both have improved markedly.

I think Mugabi has the potential to he a long term option as he is young, strong and quick. You can see potential there. 

Lamie is doing well at present. But he is a squad player and we shouldnt be relying on him as a first team starter.

I haven’t checked but from memory Lamie is here for another year, the question is whether we keep Bevis beyond this season.  The evidence suggests we need a whole bunch of central defenders to get us through a season.

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

Irrelevant really. The original post was regarding how they had both improved in recent weeks/months, which I don’t think many would argue with. 

Irrelevant? Really? Nobody questioned nor argued against any perceived improvement. Question was on the next step as a regular pairing - certainly not for me, mediocrity though is nailed on by some.

38 minutes ago, ropy said:

I haven’t checked but from memory Lamie is here for another year, the question is whether we keep Bevis beyond this season.  The evidence suggests we need a whole bunch of central defenders to get us through a season.

I see from FPC (115 AGM) that the word is Gallacher is only contracted to end of season.

No word of any extension triggered by appearances. Maybe that was just guff. Either that or they are keeping schtum.....

50 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I see from FPC (115 AGM) that the word is Gallacher is only contracted to end of season.

No word of any extension triggered by appearances. Maybe that was just guff. Either that or they are keeping schtum.....

You can say anything when you are holding the gun

It helps aswell when the manager isn't constantly coming out slating the players after every game thinking its going have them playing fantastic in the next game.

One thing i have learned since Robinson left when it was going well for him his man management  was good when it wasn't he had no idea who to actually handle it and actually get the team playing again.

10 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Flow understandably wouldn't go into contractual specifics in the meeting.  Doesn't mean the clause doesn't exist.  Presumably signing a PCA elsewhere ahead of playing the extra game would render it null and void though.

10 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Irrelevant? Really? Nobody questioned nor argued against any perceived improvement. Question was on the next step as a regular pairing - certainly not for me, mediocrity though is nailed on by some.

You miss read my point.

I made no reference to the future. You did.

Fwiw I have my doubts that they will be our first pick central defence for next season and beyond. But this is very different from the point I made namely that the two lads had improved and that there was a likely link to the arrival of the new management team.

7 hours ago, rinkydink said:

Flow understandably wouldn't go into contractual specifics in the meeting.  Doesn't mean the clause doesn't exist.  Presumably signing a PCA elsewhere ahead of playing the extra game would render it null and void though.

The clause has apparently been removed.