Hall of Fame returns

SteelmaninOZ

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Could do with Craggs back working with the youth set up,   no sign of any youths breaking through to first team which I find very  sad

The youths haven't had games for about 2 seasons now thanks to Covid. And the last time there was a league it was Reserves rather than youngsters - which was one of the reasons Craggs stepped away from the set-up.

32 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The youths haven't had games for about 2 seasons now thanks to Covid. And the last time there was a league it was Reserves rather than youngsters - which was one of the reasons Craggs stepped away from the set-up.

Fair do's and understand.  Hopefully we will go back to producing our own instead of thinking every English lower league player is the next louis moult,

2 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Another legend 

Seems fair enough. He has probably done as much for the club, in a key role, as anyone in the forty p,us years I have been a  'Well fan.

With regard to some of the current criticism of the style of football being played, it should be noted that some of his teams were less than attractive on the eye for us football purists. They were obviously different times, where a manager was given time to develop a squad and build for the longer term. Not sure if that s possible in the here and now.

4 hours ago, The African said:

With regard to some of the current criticism of the style of football being played, it should be noted that some of his teams were less than attractive on the eye for us football purists. They were obviously different times, where a manager was given time to develop a squad and build for the longer term. Not sure if that s possible in the here and now.

Absolutely. Some of his early teams would have been chronically dire to watch for many modern generations fans. Expectations were far lower in those days and for most fans a win was sufficient entertainment. Promotion of the English Premeir League has changed all of that.

• Like 1

The difference with McLeans teams were that he was bringing us up from the old First Division and had to play a certain way to keep us in the league. His teams were always set up first and foremost to be hard to beat,  and sometimes it wasnt pretty, but over time that changed. The team that finished 3rd and nearly won the league were great to watch. Of course that was pre Bosman so you didnt have the same turnover of players every season and building a team over time was still a thing you could do.  

We all have to accept that, whether we like our current style of play or not, GA has us sitting comfortably mid table and unless that changes he is not going anywhere.  That said, Im not sure any of Wee Tommys teams gave away 65% possession of the ball to St Mirren at home.  He would have went ballistic!

35 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The difference with McLeans teams were that he was bringing us up from the old First Division and had to play a certain way to keep us in the league.

They were - but he only got away with it in his first SPL season thanks to reconstruction, as we finished  in a relegation spot despite parking the bus and winning only 7 games. The league structure didn't encourage risk taking football of course, with 2 from 10 being relegated every season.

As you say, though, he slowly changed that over time and when players like Russell and Cooper were introduced our focus and tactics changed for the better.

2 hours ago, well_said said:

Big kirkie used to endure some amount of stick. 

I never understood that. Stevie was one of my favourite players from Day 1. He wasn't always brilliant, but he was usually entertaining.

Mair and Murray on the other hand...

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

I never understood that. Stevie was one of my favourite players from Day 1. He wasn't always brilliant, but he was usually entertaining.

Mair and Murray on the other hand...

Kirkie was my favourite player back in the day as well. Particularly against Hearts- he and Walter Kidd would really go at it.

That said he could be a bit lazy. Mclean knew when to drop him to get the best from him.  

30 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Kirkie was my favourite player back in the day as well. Particularly against Hearts- he and Walter Kidd would really go at it.

That said he could be a bit lazy. Mclean knew when to drop him to get the best from him.  

He was some goalkeeper as well! ;)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

There was also the famous altercation at Love St where he went at it with Billy Abercromby. He was sent off  after a scuffle with Abercromby in the box and Abercromby managed to pick up 3 red cards for the same incident (and a 12 match ban).

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

There was also the famous altercation at Love St where he went at it with Billy Abercromby. He was sent off  after a scuffle with Abercromby in the box and Abercromby managed to pick up 3 red cards for the same incident (and a 12 match ban).

That was a great game!

Abercrombie was incandescent with rage!