Dundee United v Motherwell 09/02/2022

SteelmaninOZ

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We're a better team than results suggest just now. Not great, but better. Several players are underperforming for reasons I don't know ie Slattery.

We're not playing well right now or getting results but I've seen worse Well sides as I suspect you have. The relegated 1968-69 side for example finished secind bottom in a league of 18 and won just 6 games out of 34.  Possibly the worst side I've seen was Alex McLeish's in 1995-96 when we scored far less than a goal game average. I almost gave up at that point.

Bad, but I've seen worse.

There’s a common denominator… Liam Donnelly

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

We're a better team than results suggest just now. Not great, but better. Several players are underperforming for reasons I don't know ie Slattery.

We're not playing well right now or getting results but I've seen worse Well sides as I suspect you have. The relegated 1968-69 side for example finished secind bottom in a league of 18 and won just 6 games out of 34.  Possibly the worst side I've seen was Alex McLeish's in 1995-96 when we scored far less than a goal game average. I almost gave up at that point.

Yours is the entirely rational response, and I remember that 60s side (painfully). After that we discovered Dixie Deans, Keith MacRae, Peter McCloy and many others and have only been relegated once since then (albeit for three long seasons, like Hearts around that time).  We have no chance of unearthing similar talent from within our borders now and we need to ask why Scottish football is in such a state (as if we didn't know).

I completely accept mine is an emotional one but I suspect our lack of ability to compete at all against The Cheeks and our paucity of creativity or even a basic ability to organise a team effectively is the main factor in my pissedoffidity. I rarely post negatively (hence my silly handle) but two defeats from The Sheep and a spineless display and ritual evisceration by the Hens will probably do me for this season.

At my age it really is the false hope which "kills", as well as a sense of shame at our lack of ability to compete with the arrogant and gloating Uglies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

We have no chance of unearthing similar talent from within our borders now and we need to ask why Scottish football is in such a state (as if we didn't know).

There are many reasons for this but a fundemental one is that we, and by that I mean most clubs, are losing our brightest talent to English predators before they even make the first team.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

There are many reasons for this but a fundemental one is that we, and by that I mean most clubs, are losing our brightest talent to English predators before they even make the first team.

Quite so: we lost one to Leeds and the whole financial basis of fitba here is shot, compared to the obscenely bloated Sky-financed game down south, largely based on a corrosive and damaging advertising campaign to part desperate working-class people from their money. But "play responsibly" suckers! I loathe the rich  Sky panelists who advocate such gambling. I had actually hoped the whole Premiership  house of cards based on massive debt would collapse and restore a reset to more sensible values but perversely the opposite seems to be the case.

Incidentally, thinking back to the '68 relegation, I think our last home game was against Clyde, and we were narrowly beaten (we seemed to lose by the odd goal so often that season). My abiding memory was seeing some of our "fans" laughing at out attempts to score that day, while I was almost reduced to tears. Silly perhaps, but I have always had a rather dim view of a section of our so-called followers, like the ones who have brandished the union flag in our games against Celtic in the past.

I have thrashed myself with birch twigs in an effort to motivate me for tomorrow so maybe I'll pitch up at Firpers in a  more positive frame of mind :).

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 11:54 AM, Kmcalpin said:

We're not playing well right now or getting results but I've seen worse Well sides as I suspect you have. The relegated 1968-69 side for example finished second bottom in a league of 18 and won just 6 games out of 34.  Possibly the worst side I've seen was Alex McLeish's in 1995-96 when we scored far less than a goal game average. I almost gave up at that point.

That McLeish side was very poor.....yet it had some excellent players in it.  Essentially it underperformed because the manager made poor decisions.  This team just doesn't have any good players.  Outside of Kelly I don't think we have a player who could step up a level.  I'm sure we'd all be more enthusiastic about going to the football if Dougie Arnott, Tommy Coyne and Brian Martin were playing.  

The worst football in my opinion that I've ever seen at Fir Park was the post Moult, pre Turnbull era under Robinson.  I made my feeling clear at the time and a lot of people fell out with me but we were DIRE.