El googol translatos?

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

El googol translatos?

Nah as STV says just a good education, but Google helps out sometimes :D

39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah as STV says just a good education, but Google helps out sometimes :D

What's French for "touché"?

• Like 1

Daily Mail carrying a story that both Motherwell and St. Mirren want to talk to 37 year old Steven Davis with a view to signing him if he decides to leave Rangers!

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Daily Mail carrying a story that both Motherwell and St. Mirren want to talk to 37 year old Steven Davis with a view to signing him if he decides to leave Rangers!

His best days are behind him but we said that when we signed Davie Cooper and that turned out OK. He would be a big upgrade on most of our current midfield and if his wage demands are not too excessive I think he would be worth a punt, all depends what other offers he has from bigger and wealthier clubs than us.

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

His best days are behind him but we said that when we signed Davie Cooper and that turned out OK. He would be a big upgrade on most of our current midfield and if his wage demands are not too excessive I think he would be worth a punt, all depends what other offers he has from bigger and wealthier clubs than us.

I agree. If we can get him, do it.

Even at 37 he is still head and shoulders above any of our current midfield options. If there is even the remotest possibility that we could sign Steven Davis then we should jump at it.

Not a long term signing, but going into a European campaign, he would certainly add a level of quality and experience we dont currently have. Be surprised if he would take the drop in wages, but if you dont ask, you dont get.

He's been involved in there recent finals so he obviously still has enough left in the tank,we don't need to be bringing in more jersey fillers,it's a bit of quality that were needing and he would bring that.

Steven Davis I feel would be a great signing. Exactly what we need and would no doubt drive standards up. He does not have the baggage of other players from either of them i.e brown,griffiths ,boyd etc and he has also been used to playing as an underdog with northern ireland.  I can not see any downside other than hes 37 and may get injured but he has looked fit enough any time ive saw him this season. Him and one other similar stature defender and striker and you have leaders and organisers in every area of pitch which we have not had this season. Even just being in for him is a serious upgrade in transfer gossip than there has been for a while.

Davis played about an hour of football in 4 months this season because of injury. At 37, it's surely more likely than not something similar might happen again. Last thing we need is a good player who's hardly ever fit.

23 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Davis played about an hour of football in 4 months this season because of injury. At 37, it's surely more likely than not something similar might happen again. Last thing we need is a good player who's hardly ever fit.

You just love to be different dont you.  

14 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

You just love to be different dont you.  

Sorry, I didnae realise I had to agree with you. I thought voicing different opinions was half the point of a fans forum.

Anyway, if Davis stayed fit he'd be a great signing. But a 37 year old, who was basically out for 4 months, is a big risk. How much football would you be expecting to get out of him if he did come here?

Give St Mirren's current transfer policy it's more likely the Daily Mail heard Robinson was interested in Davis just assumed that meant we must be interested too.

I'd be more interested in McAlear, tbh, but of course it all depends on who else will be joining/leaving and who's available.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Sorry, I didnae realise I had to agree with you. I thought voicing different opinions was half the point of a fans forum.

Anyway, if Davis stayed fit he'd be a great signing. But a 37 year old, who was basically out for 4 months, is a big risk. How much football would you be expecting to get out of him if he did come here?

He has just played in two cup finals so he cant be too bad!

No you dont have to agree with me that is for sure, but even you must admit you are a bit of a wind up merchant.

• Confused 1

Steven Davis played 41 games this season, including the Europa League final, The Scottish Cup Final which he won, and multiple Internationals where he's captain of his country, and the record cap holder with over 130 caps. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's no surprise that's it's been called out as a wild one...

Also, just checked - not sure where you're getting this 4 months thing from, the only month he didn't play in was January when the league was shut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winning by Name said:

No you dont have to agree with me that is for sure, but even you must admit you are a bit of a wind up merchant.

No I'm not :D

On 5/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, texanwellfan said:

So 10 players out. Do we turn that into 3 or 4 higher level players at more competitive salary? 

I’m hoping that another 2 or 3 more can be moved - hopefully getting rid of 12 players should mean freeing up around £450 to £500K minimum - then add to that money some of the extra for our higher league position - possibly £400K - and invest some of our  future income from European games - say £300K - ( Hibs got £640K for getting knocked out at Q3 last season so we should be looking to at least aiming get that far with a decent squad), giving a potential £1M to £1.1M to spend on 5 or 6 players and increase KVV & Kelly wages to extend their contracts. 
If better players gets us to the knock out round in Europe or a decent cup run and a higher than 10th league position then the club would make more money that can be used to pay these players wages the next season. 
I’d happily pay S.Davis £2500 to £3000 a week along with £3000 for McAlear  then add the same or up to £4000 for 2 defenders and a striker that have a good chance of being sold on at a profit.

£1m in wages that should see us, the fans, watching a better team that could secure us a decent season and possibly a good cup run - if only the board could be so adventurous. 

3 minutes ago, Al B said:

Steven Davis played 41 games this season, including the Europa League final, The Scottish Cup Final which he won, and multiple Internationals where he's captain of his country, and the record cap holder with over 130 caps. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's no surprise that's it's been called out as a wild one...

Yeah, it's just my opinion. Might be utter shit, but I don't think being concerned about the ongoing fitness of a guy approaching 38 makes it a wild one. He's undoubtedly got a fantastic record behind him, and 41 appearances is some going for a guy that age - though I don't think that stat tells the full story.

He's had a strong finish to the season, but here's my worry - since playing against us in September, he only featured in 6 SPL games until the split, and only 4 of those were for more than an hour. Europa League, very similar. Played in the group games until September, then didn't kick another ball till 75 mins into the Final.

I've seen some great players do a real turn for us in their mid 30s, but we've seen what happens when they suddenly hit that brick wall (McClair). If Rangers think he can still play a bit part role, he'll undoubtedly stay there. He's got nothing left to prove, and I wonder if he'll fancy going somewhere else and being expected to play a major role, week in, week out. But if he signs for us, I'll be delighted to be proved utterly wrong.

58 minutes ago, Al B said:

Also, just checked - not sure where you're getting this 4 months thing from, the only month he didn't play in was January when the league was shut.

The 4 months thing was in an interview, so I assumed they knew what they were talking about. These stats show he wasn't out injured for that entire time, it was a mixture of injuries, being on the bench and not being in the squad.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-davis/leistungsdaten/spieler/28973

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Give St Mirren's current transfer policy it's more likely the Daily Mail heard Robinson was interested in Davis just assumed that meant we must be interested too.

I'd be more interested in McAlear, tbh, but of course it all depends on who else will be joining/leaving and who's available.

I'm with you on mcalear,I've watched the caley thistle games in the playoffs and I've been impressed,he's definitely one i wouldn't mind us signing,I think he would be an upgrade on the midfielders we have just released.

3 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

I’m hoping that another 2 or 3 more can be moved - hopefully getting rid of 12 players should mean freeing up around £450 to £500K minimum - then add to that money some of the extra for our higher league position - possibly £400K - and invest some of our  future income from European games - say £300K - ( Hibs got £640K for getting knocked out at Q3 last season so we should be looking to at least aiming get that far with a decent squad), giving a potential £1M to £1.1M to spend on 5 or 6 players and increase KVV & Kelly wages to extend their contracts. 
If better players gets us to the knock out round in Europe or a decent cup run and a higher than 10th league position then the club would make more money that can be used to pay these players wages the next season. 
I’d happily pay S.Davis £2500 to £3000 a week along with £3000 for McAtear  then add the same or up to £4000 for 2 defenders and a striker that have a good chance of being sold on at a profit.

£1m in wages that should see us, the fans, watching a better team that could secure us a decent season and possibly a good cup run - if only the board could be so adventurous. 

All sounds well and good but I’d rather be a lot more optimistic in our signings players from 19-27 ex prem youth players or top talents in Scot championship and maybe left field abroad signings. Davis would be good for a season but he’s probably leaving rangers for a reason to wind down and may just be taking a wage but he’s obviously quality but sounds done deal with St Mirren and Robbo link. With McAlear we aren’t paying a 20 year old boy £3000 a week that’s fact especially when we have Cornelius who’s probably as good if not better.

Not saying McAlear isn’t a good signing he’s a cracking player but not worth to Chuck 3k a week at, he’s only kicked on at ICT last few months.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, Yassin said:

I genuinely can't wrap my head around folk not rating Slattery. You can see from his technical ability why he was so highly rated in the Southampton/England setups but he doesn't seem to have came up with any pretensions either and does more than his fair share of the unglamorous stuff. I think he's been an upgrade on Allan Campbell. 

Personally I’d be asking Slattery do you have any Southampton mates who want to join us to keep him happy the guy is class.