• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

I've kept out of a lot of the detailed debate Melvin, although it has been fascinating to track. Several reasons for that I guess. Firstly almost all of the names mentioned don't excite me, petrify me or are simply unrealistic (a few other folk have said this to me) and secondly there's a fair chance, like you've said, that the eventual successful candidate will be someone unexpected; a dark horse if you will.

I'm along similar lines.

Was on holiday when McGhee departed. Only caught snippets on Sky Sports News and trying to catch up with the boards now - though I don't know if I've the stomach to wade through all 49 pages of speculated or proposed gaffers.

I have to say its more trepidation than excitement that I'm filled with at the moment. I've been pretty underwhelmed with a lot of the names mentioned. Don't get me wrong I know the likliehood is that we'll end up one of the names mentioned but the likes of John Robertson, Lawrie Sanchez and Steve Staunton do absolutely nothing for me despite some of their

Even the two with 'Well connections in Nijholt and McAllister don't fill me with any great enthusiasm either. I've never quite understood the rush to push Nijholt's name forward every time the job has come up and if McAllister had doubts about the club's ability to match his ambitions two years ago I really don't see what the difference is now.

Not bored of the process, just a bit concerned at the moment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're probably just working our way down the list until someone eventually decides to accept the job. I'm sure it'll be someone that isn't in a job at the moment, who has no ambitions and can apparently work miracles with the budget of a young school kids pocket money!

Has Sanchez not distanced himself from the job? I've not seen anything official to say that he has but a couple of posters on here have stated it.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing who gets it and as long as it's not some ex-SPL diddy or lower league manager (Blobby Williamson, John Robertson, Gordon Chisolm etc) they'll get my support. Even if it is one of them they'll get my support initially but I'll be far quicker to let them know if I think they're shite!

Not being interested in International or English football I didn't know very much about the managerial careers of either Gary MacAllister or Steve Staunton. Admittedly both are big names and consequently easy to admire. On close scrutiny however I was a bit shocked. Gary MacAllister has managed 2 clubs Coventry City and Leeds United. His record with both was indifferent and he was sacked from the latter after less than 2 years in charge. Steve Staunton had an indifferent spell as manager of the Irish Republic and was sacked. He has NEVER, not ever, managed a club side. I'm afraid its the old adage if that someone has played at the highest level in England then he must make a great manager. Absolute nonsense.

Now it might be that media reports of these two individuals interest in our vacancy is utter tosh but if it isn't neither really inspires me at all.

I don't think McAllister's record at Leeds was that bad. Expectations are unrealistic at that club. taunton, to me, seems a bad idea. Nothing against the guy and not necessarily due to his lack of club management experience, just my gut instinct telling me that it would be a bad move. Sanchez, I don't know if he's even interested. If he is, he's worth a look. Having managed at Wycombe he would be used to working on a reasonably small budget.

But given the general feeling that the club will not have much to work with, my instincts are leaning towards either Craig Brown or Luc Nijholt. Brown's best days were with Scotland when he had to work with what he had, which is what might be the case at Motherwell. He would make us hard to beat and while it would not be pretty, he would probably keep us up. Nijholt has 3 years experience of managing a very small club who had to rely upon youth and very little resources. This counts in his favour.

I'm a gambler. I'd go with Nijholt...

I'm a gambler. I'd go with Nijholt...

maybe too big a gamble for boyle.

i've got a feeling that the reason luke isn't in with much of a chance is that boyle doesn't know anything about him as a manager or a person and there is no one over here who can give him a reference.

Colin Calderwood has also expressed an interest in the hot seat too apparently.

I think we all know that there is a good chance that Colin Calderwood would be the least popular appointment possible. Including John Robertson. Not for footballing reasons, but fans have long memories and I think John Boyle would surely know better than to alienate a large chunk of the support on such an emotive issue...

I think we all know that there is a good chance that Colin Calderwood would be the least popular appointment possible. Including John Robertson. Not for footballing reasons, but fans have long memories and I think John Boyle would surely know better than to alienate a large chunk of the support on such an emotive issue...

If Colin Calderwood got the job it could be the shortest reign in professional football history as the backlash would be phenominal.

Well, the Sun have it wrong :P His interview is today... in London.

Source? If he's being interviewed tomorrow, I would hope he isn't the first to be seen. I would have hoped that the process had started already. And do we take from this that anyone who has been interviewed so far hasn't been up to scratch or has knocked the job back? Or is John Boyle pushing the boat out to find the very best man for the job...?

When McGhee got the job, nobody really new he was in the frame. With all the unsourced rumours doing the rounds this week, it sounds like he is doing another good job at keeping things quiet.

While I wouldn't be surprised if one of the quoted names ends up with the post, I also wouldn't be surprised if he fills it with a name that hasn't been mentioned to date.

On close scrutiny however I was a bit shocked. Gary MacAllister has managed 2 clubs Coventry City and Leeds United. His record with both was indifferent and he was sacked from the latter after less than 2 years in charge.

My view is that Gary M did OK at Leeds - he got them one match away (play-off final) from the Championship. He was only sacked because of the enormous expectations on managers at that club.

Compare with Sanchez, who never achieved anything at Wycombe and was useless at Fulham.

Colin Calderwood actually has acheived more in club management than both those two put together and would not be a terrible choice. He acheived with low expectations and no money at Northamption and (eventually!) acheived with high expectations and some money at Forest.

Source? If he's being interviewed tomorrow, I would hope he isn't the first to be seen. I would have hoped that the process had started already. And do we take from this that anyone who has been interviewed so far hasn't been up to scratch or has knocked the job back? Or is John Boyle pushing the boat out to find the very best man for the job...?

You'd be right. Source? More than one, probably no better than some others, but, hey, I wasn't posting an "I know more than you" shout.

You'd be right. Source? More than one, probably no better than some others, but, hey, I wasn't posting an "I know more than you" shout.

Sorry if it sounded like I was having a go. Not at all, just sounded like you knew what you were on about. Some of the "definite, 100%" folk, I wouldn't give two cents for their posts...

Compare with Sanchez, who never achieved anything at Wycombe and was useless at Fulham.
Sanchez came in to Fulham and did exactly what was asked to do. There was a month of the season left and his job was to keep them in the EPL. Something Shearer couldn't do with Newcastle, and something the new Celtic manager failed to do with WBA.

He did the same with Wycombe when he took over there (i.e. saved them from relegation) and got them to the FA Cup semis. So he appears to have some skills. He did a decent job with Norn Iron too.