Mark McGhee

jazz

We have brought in 2 youth players who established themselves as first team regulars, and guys like Thomas on the fringe. We have also recruited younger players like Kennedy (22), Moult (23) and Laing (23) with an expectation of selling them. If we can do that every season we will be in decent shape.

From what McGhee said in his Manager of the Month interview, it certainly sounds like he wants us to still invest in small transfer fees to complement the youth programme.

• 1 month later...

5th in the league is absolutely fantastic, over course it is, especially after where we all we feared we could be again but McGhee has now presided over a 6-0 and a 7-0 to Hearts and Celtic in what must be our heaviest defeats to these, or any team, in easily 35/40 years.

That isn't an enviable stat.

5th in the league is absolutely fantastic, over course it is, especially after where we all we feared we could be again but McGhee has now presided over a 6-0 and a 7-0 to Hearts and Celtic in what must be our heaviest defeats to these, or any team, in easily 35/40 years.

I'll take a 6-0 and 7-0 defeat every season if we consistently finish 6th or above year after year.

• Like 4

While overall I am very much in the pro-McGhee camp, there are certainly games where I think he has lost the plot. Certainly, he tries to be too clever sometimes and overthinks himself. His quote today about Marvin being fine at left back because his is a good athlete, is one example given that left back is all about tackling and, more importantly, positioning.

For all that, however, I don't care who the manager is, every player is responsible for their own professionalism, effort and performance. Far too many today had chucked it before kick off, and that is basically cheating the paying fans.

I'm still satisfied with 5th place, but as others have said, a weak capitulation leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the summer.

• Like 1

While overall I am very much in the pro-McGhee camp, there are certainly games where I think he has lost the plot. Certainly, he tries to be too clever sometimes and overthinks himself. His quote today about Marvin being fine at left back because his is a good athlete, is one example given that left back is all about tackling and, more importantly, positioning.

See to be fair, I thought Marvin did fine at left back. We lost three goals in the first half with him there and he wasn't particularly culpable for any of them. He at the very least kept Roberts at bay, I thought.

I have to say I'd see that differently, I thought Roberts had him on toast. He'll do that to much better and more natural full-backs though...so it's not really a criticism of Marvin. Roberts is a fantastic footballer.

stat? fuck off

I have to say I'd see that differently, I thought Roberts had him on toast. He'll do that to much better and more natural full-backs though...so it's not really a criticism of Marvin. Roberts is a fantastic footballer.

Is fair enough, like. I'd never want Marvin to play there, obviously, but he certainly didn't disgrace himself. Given that Watt, allegedly a defender, was getting a roasting off a guy who's barely kicked a ball all season, he did fine for me.

Our level of professionalism sky rocketed when the previous manager was released and McGhee came in culminating on a great run towards the end of the season. I think what has happened has McGhee has probably allowed a sort of 'last day of school' atmosphere creep in when there was nothing to play for.

However this team has proved time and time again that it needs to be kept on a short leash.

I don't think McGhee will make that mistake again.

• Like 1

Needs to stop experimenting with players out of position, multiple games lost when he has sent teams out this way.

The Celtic game was the ideal game to experiment, last of the season, nothing at stake so why not, however I am sure that McGhee did not think for a minute that the players would have caved in so easily.

I'm fine with bringing in some fringe players or U20s. But experimenting with our best attacking threat at left back was pointless.

What was the option? Chalmers? It was an unenviable choice he had to make and if you cast your mind back a week Johnson did better at left back than he did in an attacking role.

Hammell apart we are weak in the full back positions. I like Kennedy, a bit raw but I think there is something to work with there, but not at right back.

• Like 1

The option was any one of our available defenders.

I know we are weak in the full back positions - especially left back, but given that this was a meaningless game, at least let our creative players have a chance of a goal or two.

Of course we are weak in the left back position, but give me a defender back there any time. Any time we have been hammered in recent seasons it's been when managers tried to shuffle players into unnatural positions.

Given the meaningless nature of the game, I'd just have set us up to attack and see if we could add a few more goals to our strikers' stats. Let them go out and enjoy themselves for 90 minutes. We won there the last time because we took the game to them.

Of course we are weak in the left back position, but give me a defender back there any time. Any time we have been hammered in recent seasons it's been when managers tried to shuffle players into unnatural positions.

Is Chalmers even a defender? If I was being charitable to him I'd say he's looked a lot more comfortable early season when he was playing in a wide midfield role than latterly at left back. Anyway Chalmers took such a hounding at Cappielow it's quite reasonable position to never play him at left back again. Ever.

Is Chalmers even a defender? If I was being charitable to him I'd say he's looked a lot more comfortable early season when he was playing in a wide midfield role than latterly at left back. Anyway Chalmers took such a hounding at Cappielow it's quite reasonable position to never play him at left back again. Ever.

I never mentioned Chalmers anywhere.

But if you think it was a good idea to play Marvin at left back in a meaningless game where the best we could take away was maybe playing some pressure free football and scoring a few goals, then fair enough.

I prefer my creative players in areas they can do some damage.

One thing that stood out from McGhee's first spell was how he managed to transform a few of the players over the summer by working hard on their fitness. Do we have anyone that could fit in at left back with a bit of work the way Jim Paterson did? Johnson or Chalmers? I would be disappointed if we take one of our most threatening players and limit that threat by putting him in defence.

• Like 1

One thing that stood out from McGhee's first spell was how he managed to transform a few of the players over the summer by working hard on their fitness. Do we have anyone that could fit in at left back with a bit of work the way Jim Paterson did? Johnson or Chalmers? I would be disappointed if we take one of our most threatening players and limit that threat by putting him in defence.

I reckon Chalmers will come good next season, then we'll lose him as he's out of contract at season's end.

Losing players for nothing is something we excel at - world class, in fact.