Mark McGhee

jazz

We've done pretty well in manipulating the Bosman rules to good effect too. Christ Porter and Giles Coke spring to mind. Plus Ojamaa and Anier were clever pieces of business that people tend to overlook.

Of course, for years people said we should follow the Dundee Utd model. Maybe not so much now.

We've done pretty well in manipulating the Bosman rules to good effect too. Christ Porter and Giles Coke spring to mind. Plus Ojamaa and Anier were clever pieces of business that people tend to overlook.

Of course, for years people said we should follow the Dundee Utd model. Maybe not so much now.

Oh yes, fantastic - we took in about £500K for the two latter players you mentioned - how much do you think the club has paid ut in wages to loanees in the past few years that have returned us zilch?

We can't afford it.

Oh yes, fantastic - we took in about £500K for the two latter players you mentioned - how much do you think the club has paid ut in wages to loanees in the past few years that have returned us zilch?

We can't afford it.

I don't know. How much has the club paid out in wages to loanees? Do you have the figures? I know that, typically, the parent club pays a portion.

Given that some of our loanees ensured 2nd and 3rd place prize money for a number of years, plus some Europa Cup earnings, can you offset that against their pro-rated wages and let me know the results. I'll be happy to discuss your figures.

What was the option? Chalmers? It was an unenviable choice he had to make and if you cast your mind back a week Johnson did better at left back than he did in an attacking role.

Hammell apart we are weak in the full back positions. I like Kennedy, a bit raw but I think there is something to work with there, but not at right back.

I agree that it was a difficult choice and I'm not impressed with Chalmers at left back - is he not a centre back? However, Marvin Johnson didn't play that well at left back against St Johnstone. He had a few impressive marauding runs in the first half but defensively wasn't great. We really do need two new full backs on both sides.

I think he came as a left back who said he could also play centre back if required. The writing is on the wall for him if we aren't even considering him second choice left-back.

Say what you like about Baraclough, he definitely has an eye for a left back.

• Like 1

I think he came as a left back who said he could also play centre back if required. The writing is on the wall for him if we aren't even considering him second choice left-back.

Say what you like about Baraclough, he definitely has an eye for a left back.

You're right about Chalmers and it seems obvious that Mark McGhee doesn't rate him. I doubt very much though that Ian Baraclough scouted the likes of Straker and Chalmers on his own. Someone else must have recommended them.

No idea about Straker, but Chalmers had a decent CV coming through the youth ranks but was released because some injuries hampered his progress. Seemed like a decent chance to take, but obviously didn't work out.

No idea about Straker, but Chalmers had a decent CV coming through the youth ranks but was released because some injuries hampered his progress. Seemed like a decent chance to take, but obviously didn't work out.

I speak to a Premier League manager fairly regularly, and he almost pissed himself laughing when he heard we had signed Chalmers. Highly rated as a kid maybe, but his spell at Falkirk by all accounts was shite

Aye the reports on Chalmers from Falkirk were poor. Seemed strange to me that we rushed into a signing a boy that trained with us in run-up to Rangers games.

I can mind coming away from the Bradford friendly at Grangemouth with 2 thoughts. Moult had potential to be quality with a bit of experience alongside him.

Chalmers looked like a fish out of water.

What injury do you get that makes you unable to tackle?

What injury do you get that makes you unable to tackle?

An injury that means you are a yard of the pace now and don't get into position to tackle? A leg injury that you worry about hurting again and pause for a second before you commit? An injury that means you didn't train for a while and you lost your timing?

Like I said, he might not have turned into a SPFL player, but I doubt he came all the way through Celtic's youth set up without being able to tackle, do you? Maybe we were just unlucky and he played a few blinders when he was on trial with us.

Like I said, he might not have turned into a SPFL player, but I doubt he came all the way through Celtic's youth set up without being able to tackle, do you?

Maybe some truth in that. When I saw him at first he seemed to have a bit of talent and skill about him although woefully short of pace.

An injury that means you are a yard of the pace now and don't get into position to tackle? A leg injury that you worry about hurting again and pause for a second before you commit? An injury that means you didn't train for a while and you lost your timing?

Like I said, he might not have turned into a SPFL player, but I doubt he came all the way through Celtic's youth set up without being able to tackle, do you? Maybe we were just unlucky and he played a few blinders when he was on trial with us.

Ach, apologies, I was being somewhat facetious. He came to us as a left-back that could cover centre half, and his best game has been as a left winger. I just can't see him making it with us.

Chalmers is slower than glacial erosion. I can't see him hanging about. When we opt to play our most dangerous attacking player over him at left back then the writing is surely on the wall.

Chalmers has the body language of someone who doesn't want to be here.

It may just be unfortunate he gives off that vibe?

I've got the impression having not "made it" at Celtic he's lost interest a bit.

Sounded a decent signing at the time too...

Always thought Chalmers had the look of someone supremely lacking in confidence. Maybe not surprising given his injuries lack of gametime and the poor form we were in at start of the season. However, if he hasnt been able to impress the manager enough in training to get a start on front of Marvin then I think its fair to say his days are numbered. Anyone know when his contract is up?

Always thought Chalmers had the look of someone supremely lacking in confidence. Maybe not surprising given his injuries lack of gametime and the poor form we were in at start of the season. However, if he hasnt been able to impress the manager enough in training to get a start on front of Marvin then I think its fair to say his days are numbered. Anyone know when his contract is up?

It was a two year deal he signed. So end of next season. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/06/03/joe-chalmers-signs-on-at-well/

As far as Johnson playing at left back ahead of him goes, I tended to read that as being an indication of what McGhee's looking for in his full backs (ie: pace, athleticism rather than someone who can't play the position obviously) it was also telling that he highlighted the same aspects of Laing's game when he was getting a run at right back too.

With that in mind it'd be fair to say that either a) McGhee doesn't rate him so would rather play a left winger/forward at left back ahead of him or b) He doesn't have the attributes that McGhee's looking for in that position since pace isn't something that Chalmers seems to be blessed with. In either scenario it's not really that positive for him.

To be honest the most obvious option for him/the club would be to try and sort a season-long loan somewhere and get his wages covered.