2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I'd settle for Gavin Gunning coming back. Thought wee looked our best wi him and Hutchison as our centre halfs last season.

Mental, absolutely mental. We looked good with them for one game.

We had a packed defence in that game against Celtic and they dealt comfortably with aimless crosses which they could go and attack. The next game ICT tried to play the ball around in a more open game and we got ripped apart. Gunning struggles with his positional sense for left back never mind centre half.

Hutch and Gunning were also tremendous in the 3-0 demolition of Dundee United at Fir Park. There will be a few bombscares along the way but I'd settle for that duo.

If the news on Jennings is true then he seems to be a bit of an unusual character. Don't get me wrong, he is so crucial to us that I'd settle for him signing on a week to week basis but you would think he would be looking for a bit of financial security somewhere along the line.

Don't agree. Carolos Puyol, Fabio Cannavaro, Ricardo Carvalho (all smaller than 6ft) are three of the best defenders to grace the game in the last 10 years. Winning trophies left, right and centre, including World Cups, European Championships, Champions League, Premiership, Serie A, and La Liga.

If you've got a good defensive brain then it doesn't matter if you're tall and built like a brick shit house or you're small/average height.

Would rather have a defender with a brain rather than a Gary Kenneth!

Unfortunately all the defenders you mentioned have skill, composure and speed in addition to consistency and intelligence if not size.

The higher up the football tree you go, the more funds you have available to buy the complete player. Where we are, we have to settle for only a few of those attributes with the hope they may develop one or more over time. If so, we get a return, if not we sell them to Sheffield Wednesday .....

In this league size and physicality does matter, it will do for quite a few years yet, much as we'd all want skill and technical ability to be more prominent. There are plenty of huge guys, hence why that particular attribute carries a small premium, a defensive brain and awareness is less common and consequently you have to pay handsomely for it ..... and we are Motherwell after all.

I don't think you could say that Craigan is short of intelligence however, his lack of pace and physicality left us exposed too often last season. He wasn't the only culprit to be fair.

I just feel in the recent past we've been bossed around too much in defence and despite an understandable naivety on a few occasions, Hutchinson looks like he's giving us what we need in the middle. This season I suspect he will really impress. Hence why I suggested another large guy to go alongside him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Wee Dougie (even now) in defence than Kenneth.

I think he's gone. If he had been meaning to stay he would've signed before now.

I've been wrong in the past though.

A few tabloids today are reporting Jennings is signing another one year deal, hope it's true. I agree what you saying I thought that if he was staying he would have signed up by now.

From that same old rumour site, new on today, no doubt total pish but here you go! And who knows who the source is.

I heard that Ally McCoist has made an enquiry for Motherwell and Scotland under 21 star Jamie Murphy as he looks to have lost out on David Goodwillie. Murphy, However has had teams from south of the border enquire too!

From a very good source!

http://www.football-...o.uk/index.html

We take no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of published rumours

Lease we know where the press get their stories from...

One of the best in there!

22 Jun 2011 16:35:22

Spanish hit man Esteban Casagolda is set to team up with QPR for pre season training after a contract dispute with motherwell left him a free agent. Agent Jonathan Hope said: "Esteban is a bright boy, he knows the english leagues well and has a great pedigree for goals"

From that same old rumour site, new on today, no doubt total pish but here you go! And who knows who the source is.

I heard that Ally McCoist has made an enquiry for Motherwell and Scotland under 21 star Jamie Murphy as he looks to have lost out on David Goodwillie. Murphy, However has had teams from south of the border enquire too!

From a very good source!

Check out the reply to the above on the transfer rumours site,wonder who posted that :whistling:

I'd sell Murphy for £750000 TBH and woudn't lose any sleep James McFadden he aint. Remember the cup final against Celtic against an average right back?? Back and pocket.

This the James McFadden you were referring to as "McFud" last year after his display against an average Liechtenstein right-back.

Things still aww sugar or aww shite and no in between then?

I'd sell Murphy for £750000 TBH and woudn't lose any sleep James McFadden he aint. Remember the cup final against Celtic against an average right back?? Back and pocket.

Murphy's performance against Celtic was more to do with being too hyped up and probably wanting to try too hard in that particular game

Think Murphy will be our biggest player next season if we can hold onto him. Cup final is not a good indicator, there was a real determination to attack through Humphry. Murphs form from mid-season on was exceptional, he has broken through and will tear defences apart in SPL from here on in. Also started to show suprising form from deep - incisive passing and compsure on the ball when possession was pressured.

Losing him now would damage the team and the coffers as his value will double very quickly. All IMHO of course.

What is it about motherwell fans wanting to flog our best players for peanuts? Murphy is one of our most talented and important players. Utd want £2m for Goodwillie, and quite right, given the stupid valuations down south, i.e. snodgrass, Mccormack etc aint any better than Goodwillie or Murphy.

Someones bitter :lol:

Michael Thompson

MTH0MP5ON Michael Thompson

@

@N7KOLAW7 very expensive watching your every game in a Millers shirt. Enjoy the cold weather & the bench next year #backwardstep

15 hours ago

in reply to ↑

Nick (Niko) Law

@N7KOLAW7 Nick (Niko) Law

@MTH0MP5ON ill think about that when im challenging for europe and playing infront of 60,00 at celtic mate! realbackwards step #clown