Dundee Utd Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

Stuarty

Near the station -

The Club Bar and The Trades are both good, Club Bar maybe for the old boys.

Up the Perth Road a wee bit, the Phoenix is good.

Food wise, depends what you want to eat. All the usual chips/burgers available, but the Bank Bar is alright for a sitdown pint and food effort, or the Lloyds or Wetherspoons, if you like that kind of thing.

I recommend the Nether Inn as well. Scream pub so fairly cheap and just up from the station. Closer to the ground, the Balmore along Dura Street next to the Lidl is a nice place.

Just seen the forecast for saturday and it looks like a lot of snow, my travel plan are on hold as the A9 is already down to one lane. :wallbash:

I think the game will be on as it's on Sky but as it stands I won't be going :(

I honesly cant put into words how i felt in 1991 amazing it was and how priveliged i felt to be there something i dont think i'll ever forget. I've always hoped and prayed that now that im 47 years old i'll see my team lift the cup again before i kick it. Who knows?? What i do know is this current bunch of spineless woossies whose been COMFORTABLY GUBBED by A CRAP ST MIRREN AND CALEY THISTLE. Wont get within 3 goals of Dundee Utd on sunday. <_>

Just thinking out aloud and slightly off topic but what is it with us and Utd? Was reading Stevie Kirks article in today's paper and the 91 team that seems to be cursed. O'Donnell, Cooper. McGrillen and Dolan sadly gone.

Craig Paterson (cancer scare) and Kirk (heart scare). Not least forgetting The McLeans father passing away a week before the final and Phil on that truly awful day against who else but Utd again. Don't know what to say or words to express the feeling how has a team become so cursed and WTF is it bizarrely all Utd connected. You really couldn't write it. Thoughts as always with those affected and memories this fixture must bring back. Sorry for going off topic but this fixture even more so when its the cup got me thinking.

Kirks article, THE SUN

I miss Cup heroes we've lost

EVEN 20 years on, Stevie Kirk isn't allowed to buy a drink in Motherwell.

But the 1991 Scottish Cup Final hero will raise a glass to absent friends if Well repeat the triumph.

Tommy McLean's legendary side has been touched by tragedy since The Family Final.

Hampden heroes Davie Cooper and Phil O'Donnell have passed away since the epic 4-3 win over Dundee United.

Jamie Dolan and Paul McGrillen, both on the Fir Park books at the time, have also died.

Craig Paterson has survived a cancer scare and matchwinner Kirk battled heart problems.

As Well and United prepare for Sunday's Tannadice quarter-final, Kirk admits he still thinks of them all every day.

And he'd love Stuart McCall's men to honour their memory by bringing the Cup to Lanarkshire.

Kirk said: "The memories of that day and of the team that was there - Phil and Coop - are always there. Not a day goes by you don't think of these people.

"You do miss your friends. You were very close to these guys.

"You lived with them day in, day out, you went on tours with them and became very close.

"It is a sad, sad loss when you don't have them there and all you have got are the memories."

O'Donnell was among the scorers when gaffer Tommy triumphed over big brother Jim in '91.

That Final was also touched by tragedy when the rival bosses' father, Tom Snr, died just days before the game.

But the cruel manner in which Well's winning team has been torn apart still haunts Kirk.

He added: "Phil was only 19 when we won the Final, Coop had a new lease of life at Motherwell.

"Two fitter guys you couldn't wish to meet. Phil announced his arrival that day. He scored a goal and was fantastic.

"They are not forgotten. The smaller the club is, the more of a family it is and the more everybody is involved."

Kirk works in the community for Motherwell and his extra-time heroics in '91 are not forgotten.

He said: "In that decade Ravenscraig was closing down, the place was in a bit of turmoil and there was unemployment everywhere.

"The Cup win just gave the whole place a boost.

"I was at the League Cup semi-final against Rangers on behalf of the club this season.

"When I came back to Motherwell, me and my mate had a night out. It didn't matter if I had had a million pound in my pocket, I couldn't spend a pound.

"Every pub I went into it was 'No, we'll buy you a drink'.

"As a kid, you dream about being in Cup Finals and scoring goals. But to play for one of the provincial clubs, get to a Final and win it was fantastic.

"The game was hyped up the week before because Jim and Tommy lost a family member.

"But we just went out and got on with it. It got a bit tasty towards the end of the game but it's a match we'll never forget."

Theres hardley 'fever' on here for Sundays cup game. Understandable. This pish of bizarre kick off's for games that should be key to our season halves our support & the occasion. Again tv fuckin hands over cash for the soul of our game. I'm going....next season..fuck it, something has to give.

Same goes for for St Mirren v Dons. Should be a good Scottish Cup game played at 3pm with a decent crowd.It will resemble a Broadwood reserve game.We are already devaulated even with the scum bigots. If our clubs dont wise up soon there'll be nae Diddy teams to play the scum bigottted fuckers

I honesly cant put into words how i felt in 1991 amazing it was and how priveliged i felt to be there something i dont think i'll ever forget. I've always hoped and prayed that now that im 47 years old i'll see my team lift the cup again before i kick it. Who knows?? What i do know is this current bunch of spineless woossies whose been COMFORTABLY GUBBED by A CRAP ST MIRREN AND CALEY THISTLE. Wont get within 3 goals of Dundee Utd on sunday. dry.gif

As a fellow 47'er............. who was at Hampden 91 etc etc etc......it was the same spineless woossies who pumped Smeltic and gave the h**s a run for there money at Hampden in the last couple of weeks ..............KEEP THE FAITH :doh:

Ps after the 0-0 draw with Smeltic in 91,did u think we would win the replay ?? ;)

As a fellow 47'er............. who was at Hampden 91 etc etc etc......it was the same spineless woossies who pumped Smeltic and gave the h**s a run for there money at Hampden in the last couple of weeks ..............KEEP THE FAITH :doh:

Ps after the 0-0 draw with Smeltic in 91,did u think we would win the replay ?? ;)

I'm a 47'er (+2 months) and didn't think we had a cat in hells chance of winning the replay.

I was there though and the record books show the rest!

The odds must be stacked against this game going ahead tomorrow. Is there any Well fans around the Dundee area who can give us an update on the weather conditions, as travelling up will be a nightmare.

Until about an hour or so ago no snow in Dundee or the East of Fife. Heavy snow in Mid Fife and stll snowing. If in doubt check the NADICS website

Game must be in doubt. United haven't had the best record in getting games played this season. Best time to play them as well imo. Sickener is it would move to a midweek game probably meaning even less 'Well fans making the game.

Fingers crossed.