Dundee Utd Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

Stuarty

Good game but there first goal was a foul on gunning before the cross went in altho why did no one close down the cross and the second was just a joke. Why so many people had to go tot he front post and leave Daly by him self i will never know.

What was they guy at the end all about outside the away stand. just cought the end of bit as the police van pulled up?

Strongly disagree; yet again I thought the ref was great today.

Maybe my perception of a good ref is just warped, he maybe wasn't that bad but he was just frustratingly inconsistent. Need to see the gunning one at the first goal again. He got the bookings right to be fair.

Very enjoyable game I'd say - a good battle.

If you'd offered me the replay before kick off I'd have taken it but I can't help but feel frustrated at the draw now, given the manner in which we conceeded the second. We were sleeping, pure and simple.

Thought our second was an outstanding team goal :thumbup:

Anything can happen now, in our own midden we can beat anyone, no reason to be afraid. Although, saying that, will the replay not be a problem since we're supposedly in the middle of re-sowing all the grass at Fir Park?

Only complaint, why did he or his linesman fail to spot the a foul against Gunning when he was clearly tripped in the build-up to their first goal?

He wasn't tripped, he had his shirt pulled from what I saw. But he made an absolute meal of it, went down like he'd been done by a sniper - I'd say the theatricality of it was the reason it wasn't given.

Cracking game of football with just about everybody putting in a good shift for us. Jeffers a class apart.

Can't help but fear though that we will look back on today as missed opportunity. By the time the replay comes round, Dundee United will have had time to rest and the likes of Conway and Swanson will be approaching full fitness.

Can't really understand the complaints about the ref. I thought he handled the game really well - managed to recognise the cheats in the Utd team and dealt with them straight off. Only complaint, why did he or his linesman fail to spot the a foul against Gunning when he was clearly tripped in the build-up to their first goal?

Certainly looked like a foul (although I've only seen it on a dodgy internet stream so far), but have to say Gunning did seem to spend a bit too much time doing an extra couple of rolls expecting the whistle to go, when he should have been back up on his feet a bit quicker and maybe even still had a chance to put a bit of pressure back on the guy crossing the ball.

Great cup tie though, haven't enjoyed watching a Motherwell game on the telly so much in a long time (no doubt due in part to the fact that we're usually playing either Accies or one of the evil twins when we're on the telly). Particularly good to see that we weren't playing for a draw even when the added time board went up -- we must have spent most of that last four minutes in the United half.

Cracking game of football with just about everybody putting in a good shift for us. Jeffers a class apart.

Can't help but fear though that we will look back on today as missed opportunity. By the time the replay comes round, Dundee United will have had time to rest and the likes of Conway and Swanson will be approaching full fitness.

That's as maybe, but if the players can play like that again then we are in with a real chance of progressing to the semi's. Gomis will be missing for them due to suspension and we will have Jennings back.

Let us hope we avoid the winners of the Celtic tie in the draw - assuming of course Celtic win. That would put even more meaning into the rplay should we draw any of the other 4 teams left in the draw.

I was spot on predicting a 2-2 draw, so I will stick my neck on the line and predict a Motherwell v Aberdeen semi final - it is fated to happen - well I hope so.

I'm actually feelin a wee bit disappointed we're not definately in the semi's. We were the better team throughout but our defence let us down again. Jeffers and sutton were excellent, so was lasley again. Murphy was poor and should have gone off at half time. Haven't seen it on tv yet but I think gunning should have stayed on his feet and booted the ball upfield foe utd's first and the 2nd goal was a schoolboy stuff. Fans were excellent again though.

Positives first. Cracking blood and thunder cup tie meaty tackles both teams really went for it, some cracking performances in a 'well shirt today and Franny jeffers showed the benefit of his experience more than once taking the sting out of the game a few times and won some fouls. 2 goals from sutts and a real hunger from everyone.

Also good travelling support turned out in numbers and were very vocal.

Negatives. Calum Murray(ref) generally shit all round, Goodwillie went down rolling around holding his face when it was clear no one touched him (this was right in front of us), His lack of sportsmanship when we had put the ball out to allow treatment for Gunning he kicked the ball out for a throw in deep in our half.

I would've thought there would be more of a dilemma for the arabs with him , trouble seems to follow him everywhere he goes and now this rape allegation and yet they treat him like some kind of God.

Over zealous stewarding and policing of a section of our fans not quite sure when we suddenly had such dangerous individuals in our travelling support will soon be Guard Dogs and riot cops.

All in all thoroughly enjoyed this game today dissapointed not to win but should be a cracker back at the 'Ark. :yahoo:

David Goodwillie is a :wank:

Edited by East_Stand_Al
  • Like 1

Was a fantastic game but gutted we didn't finish them off today. With just about more luck we would've been awaiting the draw with so much anticipation but now its more of a cautious optimism. Onwards and upwards, we will just have to beat them again at Fir Park :cheers:

On one sour note. Me and a young guy were celebrating the first goal, as we were celebrating the goal that jobsworth of a steward supervisor proceeded to tell the guy that he had went onto the park and had him thrown out. No wonder they get it tight all the time, arseholes.

Good game but there first goal was a foul on gunning before the cross went in altho why did no one close down the cross and the second was just a joke. Why so many people had to go tot he front post and leave Daly by him self i will never know.

What was they guy at the end all about outside the away stand. just cought the end of bit as the police van pulled up?

There was a wee gathering of Dundee lads waiting to congratulate us on a good game,at least i think thats why they were hanging around :whistling:

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that today. It was a fantastic cup tie, and both teams approached it as such. Yes we lead twice and didn't win which is disappointing, but the overall performance of the team was excellent. We looked going forward. although Murphy wasn't on form today. Jeffers looked sharp and Sutty was superb. Having Jenno back for the replay will be a real boost, and could give us the key to winning the midfield battle, and ultimately the cup tie.

Plenty of positives today, we stood up well to a United side with a tricky skillful midfield and lively forwards and caused their defence plenty of problems. The replay is anyone's but should be another cracker. £10 at the gate please, will ensure a big crowd and a cracking atmos.

Glass half full tonight!

Today reinforced David Goodwillie is in the same vein as Robbie Savage or Chick Charnley in my eyes. If he's in your team you love him, however outwith that bubble he is universally despised by all others who have a knowledge of football.

Great day out, lack of progression to the semi today tempered with extra cash injection on the 29th, lets hope the TV pick it up and remember 4 days in October.

i bet they would ::whistling:

I don't think they would. Give the fans something to be positive about and they will be positive. Like this board tonight for example.

Sutton is fast approaching Well legend status in my eyes. Undervalued and goes about his business, quietly and professionally and the important goals are toting up.

Good game. Happy with the result. Bringon the replay!!

Was a fantastic game but gutted we didn't finish them off today. With just about more luck we would've been awaiting the draw with so much anticipation but now its more of a cautious optimism. Onwards and upwards, we will just have to beat them again at Fir Park :cheers:

On one sour note. Me and a young guy were celebrating the first goal, as we were celebrating the goal that jobsworth of a steward supervisor proceeded to tell the guy that he had went onto the park and had him thrown out. No wonder they get it tight all the time, arseholes.

I seen this and thought the steward was well out of order the gate in front of you had no kind of lock on it the slightest touch caused it to open,as you went forward the gate opened and the wee guys momentum took him through it, he then moved straight back in the gate and that fanny man handled him out of the ground.

One of the stewards actually told my mate that that supervisor guy was a tit.

Today reinforced David Goodwillie is in the same vein as Robbie Savage or Chick Charnley in my eyes. If he's in your team you love him, however outwith that bubble he is universally despised by all others who have a knowledge of football.

Great day out, lack of progression to the semi today tempered with extra cash injection on the 29th, lets hope the TV pick it up and remember 4 days in October.

On that front perhaps its a positive that both the Inverness v Celtic game and the St Mirren v Aberdeen replay are both being played this week. Another £80k in the kitty I'm sure would be well received by the club....

...and has already been suggested will hopefully give the club a bit of breathing space to replicate the tenner a head that was on the go at Tannadice today.

On the game I would have been delighted to take them back to Fir Park before it kicked off and still am. There are a few pangs of regret though about what might have been having got ahead that second time....

Happy with the result. I thought we played really well today and were slightly unfortunate not to have won the game.

Hammell, Gunning, Lasley and Sutton all had great games, Hammell especially i thought he adapted very well to playing at left mid. Bad defending at both goals but there was a lot of plus points today.

Cracking atmosphere and game. Hopefully more of the same for the replay with us reaching the semi final. Mon the Well!

Over the piece a draw was about right. The "third" Well turned up today - a weird mixture of the very good and downright awful. We started every brightly scoring early on and for the first 10 / 15 minutes looked very good. Then for the next 60 minutes we defended far too deeply, surrendered midield and looked very shaky defensively. In the closing stages we once again looked good after United tired.

In the first half, Hammell and Gunning looked all over the place defensively and gave United a lifeline. They did improve a bit in the second half. In general the midfield seemed unwilling or unable to support the 2 strikers for most of the game and Jamie Murphy looked totally out of sorts once again. He proved once again he's no defender. Humphrey should have been introduced before HT.

The ref had a huge influence on the game ad United quickly and cynically took advantage of his leniency. First off their RB should have been cautioned for a shocking late challenge on one of our lads. Had the ref done that, that would have spiked United's guns early on. Next up Barry Douglas was extremely fortunate to escape a red card for lashing out at a prostrate Fran Jeffers - not even a word from the ref. Quite a bit of diving too from Swanson and Goodwillie. I thought that United's first should have been ruled out as Swanson impeded Gunning near the corner flag. David Goodwillie's sportsmanship - don't get me started. The game had a nasty edge to it and United are beginning to remind me of Alex MacDonald's Hearts side. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

On a positive note I thought that Jeffers and Sutton played very well.

We'll need to up our game in the replay though - United will have daly and Kenneth back, although Jennings will be back for us. Must learn not be be bullied and intimidated by physical sides though.