Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

Another Wednesday night, and another game against Dundee United. The second last game before the infamous split, and our last at home.

Looking ahead at the fixtures of the clubs who could realistically catch us;

Inverness

Celtic (home)

Kilmarnock (away)

Hearts (home)

St Johnstone

Rangers (home)

Dundee United (away)

Celtic (home)

Hibernian

Hearts (home)

Celtic (away)

Aberdeen (away)

Accies (home)

My prediction would be Inverness taking a maximum of three points, St Johnstone a maximum of three points, and Hibs a maximum of four points.

Assuming that we lose to Hearts away, I can see us clinching a top six finish even if he happen to lose to United on Wednesday, but I reckon at least a draw will see us home safely.

Thoughts & opinions?

The break up of points never seems to go 100% to form. There are always one or two big surprises. I wouldn't have taken a Utd win at Ibrox yesterday. In saying that a win on Wednesday should see us clinch it. A draw, and that would be a good result in my opinion, could see a joyous or deflating day at Tynecastle. Either way it is ours to throw away.

Good result for us today given the circumstances of the match.

As for Wednesday I'm going fir a 1-1 draw with Murphy scoring.

You'd like to think Caley and St Johnstone's fixtures would mean they're not going to win too many more points.

In saying that, I'm not very confident we'll take anything from the next two games.

With injuries and players dead on their feet, I fear a bit of a revenge doing by United. Then it'll be a nervous wait to see how other fixtures unfold...

I think our exertions will again catch up with us in the 2nd half of the game. McCall's pressing game has turned us into a real force to be reckoned with but its knackering. But its less knackering when you are holding onto something so if we can get a lead I can see us holding it - if we fall behind I can see us folding like a pack of cards.

As for the players; the ones who are knackered will be fine for the semi with the week off between the Hearts game and the semi. The ones who have the wee bumps are the problems. Given the fixtures the others have is it a risk playing some kids and trusting the OF and Hearts will do their business against our direct opponents. I don't know the extent of the injuries so its not a decision I can make and its one McCall needs to try and judge just right.

But lets not forget United chased the ball a lot against us and although they won I would guess they chased the ball a lot yesterday too so they will also have their share of players running on empty so lets not think this is a solely Motherwell problem in this match.

Was happy to see Utd win yesterday. They didn't show up for the Cup Tie and I was worried that our league game would be their bounce-back performance.

Having said that, they have arguably been the form team of the SPL these past 8 or 9 games, so it will no doubt be a battle. Can see us taking an early lead again, but Utd. coming back for a draw.

i don't care about the league

I do care about the League as our ranking in the league will largely determine the Managers budget for next season, granted Cup Semi Final ( or dare I dream Final) will provide necessary funds but this combined with a top 6 finish could see the like of John Sutton staying at the club and maybe some new faces coming in.

Thoughts & opinions?

I had a look at the fixtures after the match on Saturday and by my predictions and baring any shock results I couldn't see anyone getting more than 39 points, which would mean we where already there. Of course things generally don't go as you would expect them to or else I'd be banned at the bookies!

I reckon a draw against Utd to put us on 41 points will do it. Better making certain and getting two more wins!

It appears that Gunning, Hammell, Humphrey, Hateley, Lasley & Jeffers are all doubtful for the game according to McCall's email after the Aberdeen game.

I don't think we'll see all of them miss the game, but there's a good chance that none of them will be at 100% come Wednesday night.

In light of that news, I'll take a draw.

If everyone is fit I would start with the same team as Saturday! Thought Murphy had a really good game up top and when he comes deep for the ball and turns on players looks a real threat through the middle!

We just can't seem to get a settled team at the moment with the injuries/suspensions etc.

I would also take a draw but can see Utd kicking lumps out of us for a sneaky 1-0 win.

Can't be fucked playing Dundee Utd again. Especially so soon after the cup replay. No way that it will be as good a game, but hopefully we can take a point. All the players remaining as uninjured as possible would also be good as many of them looked shattered at the end of the Aberdeen game!

I would take a point right now from this game. No way will we be able to play as well, nor will United be quite as poor as they were last week and I wouldn't be atall surprised if they didn't just beat us, but gubbed us in this one.

4-1 United I'm afraid.

I would take a point right now from this game. No way will we be able to play as well, nor will United be quite as poor as they were last week and I wouldn't be atall surprised if they didn't just beat us, but gubbed us in this one.

4-1 United I'm afraid.

:woop:

Do you just copy paste from one match thread to the next?

Due to the amount of walking wounded in our side I would accept anything out of this game. A point would be OK but given our injury list a win would be brilliant.

United will have learned a lesson from their last trip to Fir Park so I can’t see a repeat of that result.

1-1 for me.

I predict The Arabs will be present tougher opposition than they did last week. Gomis is back. I hope the team have enough stamina to offer another pressing performance. Provided we can attack down the flanks, we should nulify Utd's strike force. Question is, can we last 90 minutes?

So far as the league goes, I don't want to rely on other results. ICT in particular cannot be trusted to go with form. The only form they have shown to date is an ability to win and lose unexpectedly.

Come on The Well

I anticipate that all the players carrying injuries will play through the pain barrier against United, with Jefferes added to the team the beat the Sheep. If we get at least a point then most of them could miss the Jambos game, to allow them to recover fully for the semi.

United will have unfinished business with us following the cup tie, but I think we are good enough to deal with them. It will be much tougher than last week, and for certain I will take a point. However the motivation of knowing that a win mkes the Top Six place ours, plus the weekend off could drive us on!

Either 1-1 or 2-1 to us.