Chris Porter Signs For Derby County

Motherwell Fan

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But has the squad for tomorrow been selected...

...and is Porter included?

official site says the squad aint finalized but if ports is still with us then there is every chance he will play

fingers crossed he is playing the morn' and scores the winner!! how great would that be!!

One Chris Porter!!

I think we're now at the point where we all accept that Porter is leaving. I think most of us just want the deal, be it with Cardiff or Derby, done so we can get things moving in terms of finding a replacement and moving on. If Motherwell know 100% that Chris Porter is leaving for a fee of around £400,000 before Monday, then perhaps we can make our move now rather than wait to see where Chris Porter decides his future lies. This is not an attempt at a slight on Porter, this is a big decision for him. But we are at the point where the Motherwell board and Mark McGhee should now be focusing on the future. I'm sure they are, but we only have til 5 on Monday and I would imagine it will be very difficult to do any deals tomorrow. Let's not wait til the deal goes through as it sounds like McGhee is doing "Give us a call when Porter leaves...". Let's have someone lined up so when Porter cleans out his locker, there's a guy standing behind him waiting to put his stuff in it...

The Scottish Sun

Rams net Porter in Well Raid

MOTHERWELL striker Chris Porter last night completed a £400,000 move to Derby County.

Fir Park top scorer Porter, 25, even waived his agreed cut of the fee to make sure he got the transfer he wanted.

The hitman dramatically rejected a £425,000 switch to Cardiff City on Thursday after being told of new Rams boss Nigel Clough's interest in him.

Derby chief Adam Pearson agreed a fee with Well and a delighted Porter quickly agreed terms and passed a medical.

Now the former Oldham striker — who scored 27 goals in 65 games for Well — could be set for a Championship home debut against Coventry City.

Porter was a Bosman signing for Well in July 2007 and hit 18 goals in his first campaign to help inspire the team to a stunning third place and UEFA Cup spot.

He had scored nine goals this term and Well boss Mark McGhee said: "He's been a terrific player for us and I told him that. It's been a pleasure having him here.

"He has got a great attitude, he's a good pro and he is ambitious.

"The move's not been fully processed yet, but we've agreed a deal with Derby and he's agreed his personal terms and had his medical.

"We're getting slightly less from Derby than we would have from Cardiff, but there are other aspects which make it just as good a deal."

McGhee, however, still reckons Porter should have gone to Ninian Park.

He said: "I respect his decision to go to Derby, but I went on record to say I thought he should have gone to Cardiff and I stand by that.

"Cardiff are a team vying for the Premiership.

"Derby are a great club, but I think they are a wee step behind Cardiff at the moment.

"But he's chosen Derby for his own reasons. I think he feels he'd rather be nearer home than way down in Cardiff."

McGhee is now anxious to find Well a replacement for Porter.

He said: "It's a blow to lose Chris.

"The fee will help the club's finances but the wages are already in the budget so we can use them to bring in one or two players on loan.

"We've got a couple of contingencies. We have spoken to people over the last few weeks and there's a few leads.

"I didn't want to lose Chris but the fact is we need the money.

"We need to balance the books."

The topic title will need changed now.

Sad to see him going, been a magnificent player for us and always just got his head down and got on with it and is more than deserving of his move. An honest hard working pro and McCormack and McDonald could learn a thing from him. Scored some vital goals for us and his two goals against Hearts will never be forgotten.

All the best Chrissy! :lol:

Sad to see Chrissy leave, but £400k or whatever is a LOT of money, especially in the current climate. The only goal I've ever seen Porter score live was 5th of May against Celtic, beat big Balde and someone else in the air to nod the ball home, and send us all absolutely mental. That memory shall stay with me forever.

After reading that wee interview with the gaffer above, I fucking love Mark McGhee I do.

Can't say a bad word against the big man....always professional, never in the papers giving it the self-publicity thing a la McDonald, McCormack. Signed for nothing, almost a goal every 2 games for a season and a half, and £400k in the bank.....thanks Chris, and all the best for the rest of your career, I'm sure it will be a long and fruitful one.

The Scottish Sun

Rams net Porter in Well Raid

MOTHERWELL striker Chris Porter last night completed a £400,000 move to Derby County.

Fir Park top scorer Porter, 25, even waived his agreed cut of the fee to make sure he got the transfer he wanted.

The hitman dramatically rejected a £425,000 switch to Cardiff City on Thursday after being told of new Rams boss Nigel Clough's interest in him.

Derby chief Adam Pearson agreed a fee with Well and a delighted Porter quickly agreed terms and passed a medical.

Now the former Oldham striker — who scored 27 goals in 65 games for Well — could be set for a Championship home debut against Coventry City.

Porter was a Bosman signing for Well in July 2007 and hit 18 goals in his first campaign to help inspire the team to a stunning third place and UEFA Cup spot.

He had scored nine goals this term and Well boss Mark McGhee said: "He's been a terrific player for us and I told him that. It's been a pleasure having him here.

"He has got a great attitude, he's a good pro and he is ambitious.

"The move's not been fully processed yet, but we've agreed a deal with Derby and he's agreed his personal terms and had his medical.

"We're getting slightly less from Derby than we would have from Cardiff, but there are other aspects which make it just as good a deal."

McGhee, however, still reckons Porter should have gone to Ninian Park.

He said: "I respect his decision to go to Derby, but I went on record to say I thought he should have gone to Cardiff and I stand by that.

"Cardiff are a team vying for the Premiership.

"Derby are a great club, but I think they are a wee step behind Cardiff at the moment.

"But he's chosen Derby for his own reasons. I think he feels he'd rather be nearer home than way down in Cardiff."

McGhee is now anxious to find Well a replacement for Porter.

He said: "It's a blow to lose Chris.

"The fee will help the club's finances but the wages are already in the budget so we can use them to bring in one or two players on loan.

"We've got a couple of contingencies. We have spoken to people over the last few weeks and there's a few leads.

"I didn't want to lose Chris but the fact is we need the money.

"We need to balance the books."

The topic title will need changed now.

Wonder what thoose other aspects are :lol:

Would be very interesting if we happened to get something from them, a loan is a great shout. Hopefully an attacking player, maybe not a striker, Pearson would be great, but I don't imagine him returning here any time soon.

We'll never know the right fee either, Porters deal has went from 400 from Cardiff to 425, we'll probably end up getting a tad less than that, but its still a good fee for us.

Players come and players go but the heart of the club remain s the support. Some in recent times have left a lot to be desired in the way they have conducted themselves. The big filla has been a model pro IMO throughout his career at the ark and goes with my best wishes.

Bon chance Big Filla ^_^