Chris Porter Signs For Derby County

Motherwell Fan

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on the Sun website

MOTHERWELL striker Chris Porter, 25, snubbed Cardiff for a £400,000 move to struggling Derby — because of his wife’s job.

A Bluebirds insider said: “The clubs agreed a price but Chris’ wife has a top legal job in Scotland and he chose Derby because it was closer.”

Somebody got their wires crossed somewhere? Thought his wife\girlfriend was at uni.

Although it's great money considering he's out of contract in the summer, I'd rather he stayed.

I'd use the money we'd get from the transfer and spend it on a contract for Porter rather than searching for a replacement. He's worth at least one higher position in the league. Realistically I know we won't hold onto him in the long term though.

;):O Also

If he didn't go - we wouldn't have the money!!

He actually NEEDS to go for that kind of money (think that's where McGhee might be coming from).

MFC need the dosh for running costs and ongoing survival never mind transfers. Although a transfer chest is critical and a big slice of that fee would be great.

Losing Porter with part of £400K to replace him Vs losing him for nowt in the summer.

There really is only one sane answer that.

Looks like Porter prefers Derby - which will be far closer to his lass at Nottingham - but this means no fee for Motherwell in June.

McGhee likes the look of him in a Cardiff shirt.

Looks like there will be (next to) zero transfer activity unless funds from this become available.

Derby County have jumped to the front of the pack in the chase for Motherwell striker Chris Porter.The Rams are the latest Championship club to join Cardiff City in declaring their interest in Well’s top scorer.

Cardiff had a £400,000 bid for Porter accepted yesterday but he knocked back the chance to speak to the Welsh outfit and has reiterated his desire to see out his Well contract until the end of the season. That has alerted Derby County boss Nigel Clough who has already made contact with Mark McGhee.

Derby chairman Adam Pearson said: “Chris Porter is a player that Nigel Clough likes and we are aware of his situation. “He is a player the club would be interested in signing but nothing will happen in the current transfer window.”

Cardiff thought they could get a deal wrapped up yesterday but are now pursuing other options - although they have left the bid on the table. Porter is also wanted by Hearts but is unlikely to stay in Scotland and craves a move to the Championship, with Sheffield United also interested. He also turned down a £250,000 move to Huddersfield earlier in the window because he didn’t want to return to England’s League One.

The 25-year-old has previously played in the lower leagues with Bury and Oldham Athletic. Motherwell had hoped to cash-in on Porter, a player they signed on a Bosman, but believe he could also make a big impact between now and the end of the season.

Well boss Mark McGhee said: “We have accepted an offer from Cardiff but I don’t think Chris has spoken to them yet. “I have also had a phone call from Nigel Clough at Derby asking about the situation but he did not indicate they were going to make a bid. “I have spoken to Chris and I will be speaking to him again to see what he intends to do.”

Meanwhile, McGhee has been foiled in his attempt to sign Byron Webster on loan for the rest of the season. He had enquired about the big centre half, who had a trial at Fir Park, but his Czech side FK SIAD Most have killed it by demanding a loan fee.

McGhee said: “We were keen to do something but his club wanted a loan fee and we aren’t in a position to pay that.

“So that ends our interest in Byron. We have seen a bit of Byron but it would still have been a gamble if we were going to have to pay a fee for him. “Money is tight and even if we were to sell Chris Porter I don’t think there would be any money for transfer fees.”

"money is tight and even if we were to sell Chris Porter, I don't think there would be any money for transfer fees." That worries me, a lot I must say. Short term fixes are all well and good, but when it comes to loans, most of the time we would get players we couldn't afford to buy, which means we just trudge on from season to season without a safe squad.

With Buzz potentially leaving and also maybe the further loss of hughes, lasley and klimpl, I'm beginning to get really worried.

"money is tight and even if we were to sell Chris Porter, I don't think there would be any money for transfer fees." That worries me, a lot I must say. Short term fixes are all well and good, but when it comes to loans, most of the time we would get players we couldn't afford to buy, which means we just trudge on from season to season without a safe squad.

With Buzz potentially leaving and also maybe the further loss of hughes, lasley and klimpl, I'm beginning to get really worried.

It states that there wouldn't be money for transfer fees but this could (hopfully) be due to the money being used to secure Hughs,Lasley,Klimpl, Buzz etc. So I'm not to worried.

Found this on the Sun website

Somebody got their wires crossed somewhere? Thought his wife\girlfriend was at uni.

The Sun's got it wrong as usual. She graduated from Uni in the summer, but still has to do her diploma in order to be allowed to practice and I think she has to do that in England. However as usual with the sun, explaining that to their readership will be to difficult so they just use the words 'top legal job' instead!

I know this probably belongs in another thread...but bear with me.

In the few two years we have sold MacDonald for £650k, got a reported £700k for Faddy moving to Birmingham, got £250k for Patterson, £120k compenstation for Rosco and qualified for Europe. That all to me is surely worth a few million minimum!

So my question...where has it all gone? I appreciate higger wages, pitch repairs etc - but we have only paid out £130k on transfers fees for Hammel! Surely if we do get £400k + for Porter that could be reinvested straight into the squad?

Am I missing something? ;)

I know this probably belongs in another thread...but bear with me.

In the few two years we have sold MacDonald for £650k, got a reported £700k for Faddy moving to Birmingham, got £250k for Patterson, £120k compenstation for Rosco and qualified for Europe. That all to me is surely worth a few million minimum!

So my question...where has it all gone? I appreciate higger wages, pitch repairs etc - but we have only paid out £130k on transfers fees for Hammel! Surely if we do get £400k + for Porter that could be reinvested straight into the squad?

Am I missing something? ;)

Aye - how much it actually costs to run a football club from top to bottom.

What kind of business coul any of us sustain - with 20 games at 4500 ave attendance.

Porter, 25, has a phenomenal goal-scoring record, scoring 25 goals in his first season for the Well, 18 last season and already has nine to his name this term.

Wales Online get their facts wrong about Porter

According to them Porter porter has amassed 52goals for us in three years. ;)

Other than that though nothing that hasn't been said in any of the other articles.

Financially, I sense we may be in the shit again.

Financially, everyone is in the shit.

We are just being prudent by not splashing cash just for the sake of it.

We are getting along fine with loans, frees and youth, why chase the golden carrot of Europe every season and end up REALLY in the shit.

Update from BBC

Derby have joined the race to sign Motherwell striker Chris Porter but have been told they need to increase their offer for the 25-year-old.

The Fir Park club have already accepted a bid in the region of £400,000 from Championship side Cardiff City.

"Chris has options; he can stay here, he can speak to Cardiff and we have Derby interested as well," revealed Motherwell manager Mark McGhee.

"Derby have come in with a bid but they have not come in with enough."

On Thursday, Porter turned back on plans to travel to Wales for signing talks after Derby made their interest known.

"We have not given Chris or Derby permission to speak to each other," added McGhee.

"We will wait to see if they will come in with a further bid. (Derby chairman) Adam Pearson says that they will but we are still waiting."

McGhee, who signed Porter from Oldham in 2007, believes Cardiff's offer will remain on the table until the transfer window closes on Monday evening.

"They want him enough that I think they are prepared to wait for Chris to make his decision," he continued.

McGhee will not get any of the transfer fee to spend but he will have Porter's wages available to bring in another forward.

"We've got contingency plans," he said. "I can pick up the phone at any time and say to someone, 'Right, Chris Porter has gone, can we have your player on loan?'

"We have two or three like that who we have spoken to already, who have said that, if Chris goes, then phone us."

Earlier this month Porter, whose contract expires in the summer, turned down a £200,000 move to Huddersfield.

He is Motherwell's top scorer, with nine goals this term, and has also been linked with Scottish Premier League rivals Hearts.

"It would benefit clubs like ourselves if we could make a transfer at any time," said McGhee.

"Sometimes there is a cost that you have not budgeted for and you don't have the money.

"We are in the situation where we are saying, 'We might have to sell now, just in case it happens'.

"That's a pressure we could do without and I would prefer if we could make these decisions when we need to make them."

Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest had also been linked with a move for Porter, who netted 18 goals for 'Well last season. Meanwhile, Cardiff defender Darren Purse has been told he will not be leaving the club in the transfer window, despite holding talks with Norwich.

There is more money to be had for Porter by not moving just now. I would be very suprised if he agreed to move now.

Do you think he'll sign a new contract? Or do you think we'll finish minimum 4th or get a cup final?

That's what it would take for us to get more money by him not moving now.

Unless we finish 4th or get a cup final, we'll be running a defecit this year, and that's in large part down to Porter, Hughes and Malcolms wages i'd imagine...

I ment that Porter himself will gain more financially by stalling.
That's what is agent is telling him, but I'm not so sure. Rosco's best offer ended up being Cardiff, and I think Porter would be smart to make that move too.

Quote happy for him to stay though, as long as he doesn't sign a pre-contract with anyone.

There is more money to be had for Porter by not moving just now. I would be very suprised if he agreed to move now.

That is true, but, if Porter says he's staying put until the summer, he could then easily pick up a serious injury a day after the window closes and his chance of a big money move could be ruined.

I would rather not lose him, but, I'd tend to agree with McGhee that his best option is to move now.