Faddy

Stef

Four pages of a thread consisting of 'hypothetical musings'? And folk asking 'surely this isn't impossible'?

For 'hypothetical musings on the internet' certain people appear to be taking this very seriously indeed, and I'm not one of them. :blush:

what clubs do you think he might sign for mjc?

i can't see an epl side taking him as there will be doubts about his fitness which was relatively poor pre injury.

i doubt he would sign for rangers and celtic have mccourt, maloney, forrest and commons. plus they're both skint.

so championship seems most likely to me. nottingham forest, derby, southampton, portsmouth or coventry look likely options.

The massive red letters gave away how seriously some people seem to be taking it.

I'm not taking the prospect of 'Faddy' returning seriously, I'm taking the fact that some of our fans seem to think that it's within the realms of possibilty that we could re-sign him this summer seriously. Hence the use of the massive red letters. :whistling:

It's not beyond the realms of possiblity.

We are talking about a guy without a club and hence without a pay cheque who was training at our club and loves our club. The transfer window is closed in a couple of weeks and unless I'm mistaken nobody has tried to get him yet. We are off to a flyer in the league and could be on course for a special season....maybe just maybe he'd want to be a part of that if we make an ambious approach when it looks unlikely he'll get a big club.

Unlikely yes

Impossible no

MON THE FADDY :notworthy:

I agree with MJC this talk of Faddy coming back is ludicrous. Yes I read the article last year where he definitely did say he would "like" to end his career at Motherwell, so if and it's a big if he does come back it will be at least another 5 odd years when he's 32/33 ish certainly not now when he's entering his prime. I would love hm to come back as he' still my all time favourtie Motherwell player and I would be straight down the club shop getting FADDY on my strip if he did ever comeback one day but that will be a day far into the future if it does(and hopefully it does) happen.

He's 28, a 5 million pound Premiership player, with 20k plus a week wage demands with aspirations to get back in the Scotland squad. Yes he's unemployed but don't full yourelf that he's very short of options. He would walk into any championship team and many would want to have him, he's clearly holding out to see if a Premiership club will take a chance on him before commiting elsewhere. If they don't he will go to the championship before us, don't kid yourself on that one either.

I would love to see him back at Fir Park but IF that day ever comes It WILL be in at least 4 or 5 years time not now, so can we please stop all this and re open this thread in about 4 years time when it might be more appropriate.

Was. WAS a 5 million pound player.

Francis Jeffers WAS an 8 million pound player. He's also played for a bigger club and had a higher wage than McFadden ever has. And he's only 2 years older. But he played for Motherwell for 6 months, because he had fuck-all options and he hoped it would lead to something bigger.

James McFadden is a professional footballer, sitting at home watching telly when every league in the country has already started. Aside from that that he's a boy that fucking loves playing football. If he had any offers on the table, he'd have taken one already. It's also not a secret that he's been without a club for months...if a Premiership club were interested, they would have made an offer by now.

Not saying he's likely to come to Motherwell...but let's not kid ourselves that he's in a position to pick and choose. We have an affinity to him for obvious reasons, and he rightly has a bit of a god-like status at Fir Park, but the odd cracking goal here and there aside, he hasn't actually done all that much of note at club level since he left. In actual fact there are plenty football fans all over the country who have no idea what he did at Motherwell, who think that James McFadden is fucking shite.

He could do a lot worse than come here on a 6 month deal. It may well do him a world of good because right now, outside of Fir Park, he has pretty much ZERO reputation. In fact, theres huge debate amongst even Scotland fans over whether he should be in the squad, let alone the team. That's reflective of his status within the game, and he needs to do something to change that.

There's been arguments for and against the idea of Faddy coming back being a possibility, but just to put another slant on it...

The idea of him finishing his career at Motherwell certainly isn't a secret. He's told numerous people over the years since he left Motherwell (as recently as when he was training at the club during the summer) that he plans to do so. Obviously whether or not you believe him is a discussion in itself, but given he has no real reason to tell people he'll finish his career at Motherwell (while he's playing for Everton or Birmingham) yet has done so frequently and openly, I'd personally be surprised if it doesn't come to fruition (career ending injury or ban or something permitting).

But with that in mind, and assuming that James McFadden truly does plan to finish his career at Fir Park and has planned to do so since the day he left for Everton, surely signing for us just now would be an acceptance that his career may be over, at least at the top level? I'm not saying it would be - he could put himself in the shop window for a couple of months and get a good move - but for a player of Faddy's belief and arrogance, he strikes me as the type who would never play for Motherwell again unless he genuinely is finishing his career here because, by joining the team he has ear-marked as where he'll finish his career, there is a tiny bit of doubt that it's game over.

It's not beyond the realms of possiblity.

We are talking about a guy without a club and hence without a pay cheque who was training at our club and loves our club. The transfer window is closed in a couple of weeks and unless I'm mistaken nobody has tried to get him yet. We are off to a flyer in the league and could be on course for a special season....maybe just maybe he'd want to be a part of that if we make an ambious approach when it looks unlikely he'll get a big club.

Unlikely yes

Impossible no

MON THE FADDY :notworthy:

Francis Jeffers WAS an 8 million pound player. He's also played for a bigger club and had a higher wage than McFadden ever has. And he's only 2 years older. But he played for Motherwell for 6 months, because he had fuck-all options and he hoped it would lead to something bigger.

James McFadden is a professional footballer, sitting at home watching telly when every league in the country has already started. Aside from that that he's a boy that fucking loves playing football. If he had any offers on the table, he'd have taken one already. It's also not a secret that he's been without a club for months...if a Premiership club were interested, they would have made an offer by now.

Not saying he's likely to come to Motherwell...but let's not kid ourselves that he's in a position to pick and choose. We have an affinity to him for obvious reasons, and he rightly has a bit of a god-like status at Fir Park, but the odd cracking goal here and there aside, he hasn't actually done all that much of note at club level since he left. In actual fact there are plenty football fans all over the country who have no idea what he did at Motherwell, who think that James McFadden is fucking shite.

He could do a lot worse than come here on a 6 month deal. It may well do him a world of good because right now, outside of Fir Park, he has pretty much ZERO reputation. In fact, theres huge debate amongst even Scotland fans over whether he should be in the squad, let alone the team. That's reflective of his status within the game, and he needs to do something to change that.

Spot on lads :nod:

• Like 1

Just as an aside regarding the possibility of holding out for a Premiership club to come in with an offer.... Newcastle United, who are publicly trying to keep their costs as low as possible to claw back their previous debt, and who have an owner who's pockets basically only operate in one direction, were in the market for a player who could play either a wide midfield role, or up top. Did they go for James McFadden who would have been completely free, and more than likely would have signed for the Premiership version of minimum wage? No...they thought it was a better option to go for Gabriel Obertan. 3 million pounds for a player that can barely run without the fucking ball, let alone with it.

I VERY much doubt he's holding out to see what premiership clubs make an offer. As much as every single one of us would wish it was different, barring some kind of last minute deal where their first 10 choices have failed...James McFadden isn't on anyone's shopping list at that level.

Just as an aside regarding the possibility of holding out for a Premiership club to come in with an offer.... Newcastle United, who are publicly trying to keep their costs as low as possible to claw back their previous debt, and who have an owner who's pockets basically only operate in one direction, were in the market for a player who could play either a wide midfield role, or up top. Did they go for James McFadden who would have been completely free, and more than likely would have signed for the Premiership version of minimum wage? No...they thought it was a better option to go for Gabriel Obertan. 3 million pounds for a player that can barely run without the fucking ball, let alone with it.

I VERY much doubt he's holding out to see what premiership clubs make an offer. As much as every single one of us would wish it was different, barring some kind of last minute deal where their first 10 choices have failed...James McFadden isn't on anyone's shopping list at that level.

I admire your positivity and was going to argue but I know it's not going to change your mind so all I will say is this...

He's a legend for us, we love him, he loves the club and hopefully he will be back one day but there's not a hope in hell that he will be back anytime soon. Would love it to happen and wouldn't care how much of a tit I would look for saying all this but simply it just ain't going to happen.

It's not positivity mate, In no way have I said I think he'll come back just now. Im just saying that the reasons people give for him not coming aren't accurate. That doesn't mean I think he'll come, but however many options he may have...we're a lot higher up that list than some people seem to think. Like I say, im sure we all would love it to be different, but the fact is that no-one in England gives a shit about James McFadden, because they have no reason to. He's basically "that scottish guy who scored a cracker against Middlesburgh years ago".

It's not positivity mate, In no way have I said I think he'll come back just now. Im just saying that the reasons people give for him not coming aren't accurate. That doesn't mean I think he'll come, but however many options he may have...we're a lot higher up that list than some people seem to think. Like I say, im sure we all would love it to be different, but the fact is that no-one in England gives a shit about James McFadden, because they have no reason to. He's basically "that scottish guy who scored a cracker against Middlesburgh years ago".

Fair enough, would love to see it, guess I'm just getting a bit cynical in my old age of 21...:P

Well his stock might not be that low but I quite agree, the guy is without a club and the seasons started. He is no ones idea of a first pick that would pay him the kind of money he'd be used to since he left.

That said a relatively skint EPL club like Everton who know if fit he can fill a jersey and do a job might offer him 5 times anything we could offer but even so he has been out a long time with injury and those offers might not come.

It is highly unlikely but by no means beyond the realms of the unimaginable that he finds a non OF SPL team as an option and if so we'd at least be in with a shout.

If he is still training with us then McCall should be offering him whatever we can reasonably afford on a 6/12 month deal and if nothing else comes along what is he gonna do retire?

And again no I really don't expect it to happen, but it would be good if it did and no harm a bit of wishful thinking.

If he is still training with us then McCall should be offering him whatever we can reasonably afford on a 6/12 month deal and if nothing else comes along what is he gonna do retire?

He was never training with us so to speak, he was using our facilities gym etc.. during the summer but he has never actually trained with us. McCall said on sportsound when asked about it that he had never met McFadden and am sure he said that he was gone before we came back for pre season.

Faddy's not coming yet. If he's still clubless by September/October time then there is every possibility that he'll turn around and say "F*ck it" and ask for a contract but I imagine he'll find somewhere before then. He's also settled in England with a family, i think, and might not think Its appropriate to move north of the border. And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make the commute on a daily basis either.

i can't see an epl side taking him as there will be doubts about his fitness which was relatively poor pre injury.

i doubt he would sign for rangers and celtic have mccourt, maloney, forrest and commons. plus they're both skint.

so championship seems most likely to me. nottingham forest, derby, southampton, portsmouth or coventry look likely options.

I'd also throw Ipswich and maybe even Blackpool into that mix.

I read somewhere last week that he was heading to the USA .... No, not following in Becks and Keane's foot steps ..... but to get a clean up operation done on his knee.

Don't if correct or not right enough, sure it was about the time of Levien saying he needs a club.

He'd like to move his family back north but was willing to commute to any English club that were northern enough to let him do so, although the Ugly Sisters in Glasgow did both have him up for talks over the summer.

The fact that his injury hasn't fully cleared up is why he hasn't signed with anyone.