The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

you're right. there is too many people in the team who's list of what can't do is longer than what they are good at. higdon might be a useful guy to have in your team if you weren't carrying 4 midfielders that can't shoot one of whom is a winger who refuses to get involved in 75% of the game.

i can't see humphrey ever getting better at shooting, crossing or generally being a footballer. higdon could improve his game no bother by hard work. that's why he gets the harder time.

Thought Humphrey had a good game last night

that could well be true. :whistling:

12 months ago we had mostly the same suspects giving us the 'unseen work' patter about gow and before that is was fitzpatrick, fagan(MIDFIELDERS), jim hamilton(500 ODD GAMES IN SCOTTISH FOOTBALL AND140 GOALS) and others before them. they were talking pish(YOU SEEM TO HAVE TAKEN THIS MANTLE UP QUITE EASILY) then as they are now. the happy clappy excuse for guys not up to the job seems to be that they do things that only they can see.

what am i missing?(POSSIBLY GLASSES OR CONTACT LENSES) the guy isn't making any runs so i can't be missing that. he has a terrible success rate in contests against centrebacks. he gives away loads of free kicks and barely wins any. he doesn't get on the end of crosses as he is usually stood stock still. his attempts at playing through balls in the first half last night were pathetic.(WHAT ABOUT THE 2ND)

the guy is overweight, slow and cannae jump. it's not good enough. we're are crying out for a clarkson (Jeremy ????? hes fat and slow as well !!!) or a jutkiewicz who can provide a bit of athleticism up front.(JAMIE MURPHYS JOB)

he will get us goals(the guy is overweight, slow and cannae jump. it's not good enough)(SEE ABOVE) PLEASE MAKE YOUR MIND UP but i don't see him scoring or helping the team much in games when we are not already well on top.........EXPLAIN THE GOALS HE HAS SCORED THIS SEASON ?????

craigan and clancy fucked up last night and deserve criticism but so does higdon for missing 3 golden opportunities(WHAT ABOUT LAW) and making the majority of our wing play redundant.

HIGDON has scored 35 goals in the SPL from 130 appearances,

We are sitting 3RD in the SPL and are unfortunate to be out off the league cup...........:doh:

HIGDON is not and never will be my favourite MOTHERWELL player and is not the all round centre forward, but I will be giving him more than 8 competitive games and 3 goals befor I write him off.

Roll on Saturday....:laugh: .....goodnight

HIGDON has scored 35 goals in the SPL from 130 appearances,

We are sitting 3RD in the SPL and are unfortunate to be out off the league cup...........:doh:

HIGDON is not and never will be my favourite MOTHERWELL player and is not the all round centre forward, but I will be giving him more than 8 competitive games and 3 goals befor I write him off.

Roll on Saturday....:laugh: .....goodnight

jamie muprhy isn't playing up against the opposistion centre backs.

and as i've all ready said how many goals he scores isn't as important as what he adds to the team. him scoring 17 goals for st mirren last season didn't do them much good did it?

Well it helped keep them up. I'm pretty sure Lennon would have been happy with his return and SPL safety. Their lowly position can't just be attributed to Higdon though. Alright he was a liability when we played at NSP last November but St Mirren weren't exactly bristling with class that day or on any others last season.

Lets see how he has done in general play and goal return come the next window.

jamie muprhy isn't playing up against the opposistion centre backs.

and as i've all ready said how many goals he scores isn't as important as what he adds to the team. him scoring 17 goals for st mirren last season didn't do them much good did it?

As usual, you are adopting contrary positions for arguments sake. One minute you are saying Higdon is useless. The next you are saying he scored 17 goals last season, but it didn't help the team.

If useless players score 17 a season, I'll take useless thanks.

As usual, you are adopting contrary positions for arguments sake. One minute you are saying Higdon is useless. The next you are saying he scored 17 goals last season, but it didn't help the team.

If useless players score 17 a season, I'll take useless thanks.

No, he's shite because the players around him didn't contribute as many goals as he did - it's quite straightforward really.

See the number of headers he does win, and none of his teammates actually react to is unbelievable... short of time travelling to get on the end of his own lay offs, there's not much more he can do. To my mind, he doesn't jump for a lot of balls because he takes up a position where the ball is going to drop and holds his ground, waiting for the ball to reach him at chest height and he can control it.

As usual though, Motherwell fans make their mind up before a player has even kicked a ball and will not be shifted from that viewpoint regardless of performances. Folk round me the other night seemed genuinely annoyed that he had scored the second goal... cannot understand that.

As usual though, Motherwell fans make their mind up before a player has even kicked a ball and will not be shifted from that viewpoint regardless of performances. Folk round me the other night seemed genuinely annoyed that he had scored the second goal... cannot understand that.

It's simple. There are Motherwell fans who get a kick out of abusing their own players. Of course, in some circumstances there is a genuine difference of two knowledgable opinions - I'm not labelling everyone, but more often than not it's either fat, red-faced arseholes who've clearly never kicked a ball in their life, or folk who genuinely seem to get a kick out of targetting certain players they take a dislike to for whatever reason. I have no idea why - maybe these people have high stress levels and need to berate football players playing for the team they support in order to avoid slapping the wife about that night. But they quite clearly get a kick out of it. As for the other group of folk who don't seem to know anything about the game - it must be said, the amount of football fans at games who must spend a fortune watching football and yet know absolutely fuck all about football is quite alarming.

Just for the record, I'm talking purely in terms of at the game. If someone wants to slate players online or in the pub, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'll participate in debates and regularly find myself laughing at some of the dross that gets posted on here, but when the atmosphere and support of the players is rapidly improving at Fir Park, it's still absolutely laughable some of the shouts and foaming of the mouth that goes on.

• Like 2

what is contrary about those positions?

kris boyd banged in 25 a season for rangers but it didn't make him a player or the right option for them up front in hard games. the vast majority of our games are hard games, i don't believe higdon has or will contribute enough when we aren't already in the ascendancy.

our highest scoring season in the spl was 2005-06 (55) when we finished 8th. we scored more league goals in 01-02 (49) and 02-03 (45) when we finished 11th and 12th than we did last season (40).

numbers of goals aren't everything and not all goals are equal.

Yep they love to pick someone out and hassle them - they thrive on it - they need it and they fuckin hate it when something happens like him scoring.

It's like turning up at yer favourite bands big gig and booing the lead guitarist - what's the fucking point in that? so why turn up at an SPL football game and abuse yer favourite teams striker.

The fuckin no brainer for me is.

He's sigend, he's here, the manager will continue to pick him.

Abusing him serves absolutely zero purpose - in fact if we get to him it will have the effect of detracting from our team overall.

What fuckin planet are these nuggets on?

Aye, shocking. Did he have a worse game than Murphy? I wouldn't say so but it would appear Jamie is 'one of ours'. The abuse Higdon is getting will benefit NO ONE in Claret and Amber. He no longer plays in black and white stripes although I'm sure a very vocal minority (hopefully) wishes he still did.

Utterly baffling.

• Like 1

Couple of guys along from me in the East stand were giving him abuse every time he went near the ball.

O.K. today he was p**h but no more so than Murphy& Jennings IMO.

NO chance of them getting stick though is there??

McHugh did more in 15 minutes today than Murphy has done in his last 6 games.

The boy needs a rest. Play McHugh for a couple of games and see how he gets on.

Mon the Dossers

The Cooper isn't any different. Was really depressing today, no matter how results go if I ever stop going to Fir Park it will be because the crowd just gets me down.

There also seems to be some kind of direct ratio between the volume of a fan, and their lack knowledge of the game. Screaming at a player to say you think he's shite is bad enough to have to sit and listen to, but to hear someone sitting roaring instructions on what they should do, only go start going insane if the player does anything different is just mind boggling.

right, i have deffended higdon since he got here, said we should give him a chance, let him settle in, but today he was dreadful.he is paid a wage from the club we support and put our money into, and if i dont think he is trying hard enough or putting any effort in the he is going to hear about it. it would be different if he was trying and failing, if that was the case i would be shouting encouragment, but he just stands there, out of position, giving no support and making no effort, deserved all he got today. but next week is another game, and i will give him my support and another chance to start fresh as i do every week with every player.

right, i have deffended higdon since he got here, said we should give him a chance, let him settle in, but today he was dreadful.he is paid a wage from the club we support and put our money into, and if i dont think he is trying hard enough or putting any effort in the he is going to hear about it. it would be different if he was trying and failing, if that was the case i would be shouting encouragment, but he just stands there, out of position, giving no support and making no effort, deserved all he got today. but next week is another game, and i will give him my support and another chance to start fresh as i do every week with every player.

Really? So because he didn't pull down a ball that Randolph aimlessly launched in the vague direction of his head, he deserves to be told that he'd be more use if he just died cos at least then we'd play someone else?

If you believe he, or any other player deserves what they get from our fans at any time, let alone when we're clear in third place and almost a third of the way to the split, then maybe you should take up painting or chess or something, in the hope that you'll realise it's only a fucking game, and come back next year with a wee bit of fucking perspective on life.

Really? So because he didn't pull down a ball that Randolph aimlessly launched in the vague direction of his head, he deserves to be told that he'd be more use if he just died cos at least then we'd play someone else?

If you believe he, or any other player deserves what they get from our fans at any time, let alone when we're clear in third place and almost a third of the way to the split, then maybe you should take up painting or chess or something, in the hope that you'll realise it's only a fucking game, and come back next year with a wee bit of fucking perspective on life.

ok first off, it wasnt just from a ball down from randy, is was EVERY time the ball came to him, he done nothing.

second. at no point did i ever say he should die, thats a disgusting thing to say to anyone never mind your own player over a football game.

third, and i feel like im repeating myself, we all pay our money to go see our team play, and if somone isnt pulling there weight then we have every right to voice our anger at it.

ok first off, it wasnt just from a ball down from randy, is was EVERY time the ball came to him, he done nothing.

second. at no point did i ever say he should die, thats a disgusting thing to say to anyone never mind your own player over a football game.

third, and i feel like im repeating myself, we all pay our money to go see our team play, and if somone isnt pulling there weight then we have every right to voice our anger at it.

Maybe you didn't, but someone today said that, and plenty other people were shouting various other things of different content but with equal unacceptability. And you're saying he deserved everything he got. Well, no...he didn't.

You're right, we do all pay our money to go see our team play, and anyone not pulling their weight is bringing the team down. But what's pulling the team down are the fucking mongos voicing anger from the stands during a game which we won to send us clear in 3rd, 2 points behind Celtic (which actually shouldn't have any bearing on this anyway). So as a fan and a supporter, start pulling your own fucking weight or people will have a go at you for the same reasons you're having a go at the players.. It's doesn't start and end with paying your money.

• Like 1