The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

Hopefully the continual moaners/beraters/know-nothings in our support will give any new Summer signing the chance to stamp his authority on the team before they boo/berate/scream at him after a few matches of the new season although that would mean that they would 1st of all have to grasp the basics of a game of footbal and its tactics 1st.

The negativity towards Higdon from a (we'll call it a) minority of our support is the polar opposite to the man-love dished out to Ojama after a few (brilliant) matches. Now, I'm not having a go at Ojama because he is a young lad and came in at a time when we were struggling and really helped turn our season around but that initial impact has certainly wained. What I'm trying to say is that, maybe our support shouldnt be so hasty as to pigeon hole a player as dynamite/shite after a few games.

• Like 2

Sutton got 17 last year, according to Soccerbase.

Last season Sutton got 17 in 50 games overall, scoring in 34% of his games. He got 10 in 35 in the league, scoring in 29% of his games.

This year Higdon has 16 in 38 games overall, scoring in 42% of his games. He has 14 in 34 in the league, scoring in 41% of his games.

To add to that I think he offers the team more when he's not scoring than Sutton did. Top signing.

• Like 1

Hopefully the continual moaners/beraters/know-nothings in our support will give any new Summer signing the chance to stamp his authority on the team before they boo/berate/scream at him after a few matches of the new season although that would mean that they would 1st of all have to grasp the basics of a game of footbal and its tactics 1st.

The negativity towards Higdon from a (we'll call it a) minority of our support is the polar opposite to the man-love dished out to Ojama after a few (brilliant) matches. Now, I'm not having a go at Ojama because he is a young lad and came in at a time when we were struggling and really helped turn our season around but that initial impact has certainly wained. What I'm trying to say is that, maybe our support shouldnt be so hasty as to pigeon hole a player as dynamite/shite after a few games.

Great Post.

But balanced reasonable debate will never catch on in a football forum!

If you look at his goal, he placed it in the left side of the goal instead of going for the bigger option of to the right of the goalie where both goalie and defender dived.

He did indeed and it was a classy finish, although being left footed and coming in at it from the right, that was the natural shot that was on for him anyway. The goalie did look a bit daft diving the other way, though, can only assume he was a bit unsighted and just had to guess!

He's not left footed so that makes it an even better finish.

I'm sure he is in FIFA, scores almost everything with his left :) For the matter, every recent outfield goal/effort I can think of has been hit with his left, including his famous overhead kick. But you're quite right, he does take pens with his right. Being good with both feet just makes him an even better asset.

• 2 weeks later...

we've got another 30 of those performances to look forward to next season.

:cry:

Once again, he received little support from Murphy and Humphrey who played too wide and deep to be of any real assistance to him. It was only when Henrik came on that he received more support. Our priority for next season should be to get him an effective strike partner, with Ojamaa playing off them.

While I'm critical of higdon, I think he's no bad, and does a good job when he plays.

However, I think we've started playing some pretty pish stuff because we're focussing on him so much. The 0-0 willl rangers was the best we've played in a while I think, definitely football wise. So i'd like to see ojamaa and murphy getting played more often upfront.

• Like 1

fat casagolda

And we're off.

better than saturday but still not good enough.

it was an excellent finish for the goal but it's not suprising that he got one when he chose to hang back on the edge of the box as he is completely useless with balls into the area. last night we put in loads of good balls but it higdon was either flat footed and no where near it or far too cumbersome to finish. he had three sitters after he scored and fucked up everyone one of them. not good enough.

we are going to pay badly for not bringing in a mobile centre forward in the window. having a fat lump up front, with no pace who can't jump is not good for our style of play.

Champions league football eh? Just think what could have been...

that could well be true. :whistling:

12 months ago we had mostly the same suspects giving us the 'unseen work' patter about gow and before that is was fitzpatrick, fagan, jim hamilton and others before them. they were talking pish then as they are now. the happy clappy excuse for guys not up to the job seems to be that they do things that only they can see.

what am i missing? the guy isn't making any runs so i can't be missing that. he has a terrible success rate in contests against centrebacks. he gives away loads of free kicks and barely wins any. he doesn't get on the end of crosses as he is usually stood stock still. his attempts at playing through balls in the first half last night were pathetic.

the guy is overweight, slow and cannae jump. it's not good enough. we're are crying out for a clarkson or a jutkiewicz who can provide a bit of athleticism up front.

he will get us goals but i don't see him scoring or helping the team much in games when we are not already well on top. craigan and clancy fucked up last night and deserve criticism but so does higdon for missing 3 golden opportunities and making the majority of our wing play redundant.

More shite.

you'll be laughing out the other side of your face when we end up bottom six because we're relying on this lardarse.

:lol:

Whopper.

an empty xxl jersey again.

1 decent performance in 2012, shocking.

Still refusing to see the light.

if he keeps the good performances coming then i'll admit i was wrong.

however one swallow doesn't make a summer and playing well last night doesn't change his performances earier on in the season. he's benefitting from us being less reliant on using him as an outball and teams playing deeper because of ojamaa's pace.

fair play bumping this thread up just now but i could have bumped it up after his poor performances against morton, st mirren and united recently or after he missed an empty net again on saturday.

let's come back to this when the good performances outweight the stinkers.

Serious denial.

belter.

what do you know about me? if you want to get personal be a man and do it face to face, i'm not hard to find.

Not Higdon related but it was funny watching him make a fanny of himself trying to fight eddie.

a competent centre forward who is of an acceptable level of fitness for a professional footballer. i thought that was quite obvious.

if we had a striker like sutton, blackman, jutkiewicz, clarkson, porter or mcdonald this season we'd would be in our strongest position in years. nicky law should have been the signing that made us a well rounded team, instead our problem area has shifted from midfield to up front.

Best ever SPL points total this season.

he is fat. maybe not for your average punter in the pub but in the context of a professional athlete he is fat.

the picture means nothing, shoulders back, breath in. anyone can do it.

what the fuck do you know about my football knowledge? you were on here last midweek calling him a brilliant player then come saturday we'd have been better with douglas bader up front. not the standard definition of a great player.

and hopefully you mind a great deal but i won't be shutting up. two years ago i had people telling me i was wrong about gannon, last year it was gow that was the player so good 'you can't see his contribution to the team'. i'm fairly certain i'll make it a hat trick of falling on the right side of the debate here.

Surely after finishing the season as our top goalscorer, firing the goal that sent Motherwell into the Champions League for the first time in their history achieving a record SPL points total along the way he'll finally admit he's wrong..

we've got another 30 of those performances to look forward to next season.

:cry:

Oh well..

funny-gifs-freddys-gonna-fred.gif

• Like 12

Higdon a good is a good old fashioned Striker, and he has done well to be honest, Just think OJ and Murphy looked more of a danger, and encouraged us to play football, instead of the lump up the pitch.

OJ and Murphy (Should the latter still be here) looks the better option in Europe.

Higdon up front with either of the above for SPL games.

Not sure there is a place for Lump and run in Europe.

Higdon great servant, OJ & Murphy just seemed to be a little more entertaining.

Sorry, Dazzer. For me, Higdon is crucial to our system. His physical presence is one of our two weapons for relieving pressure on our defence when we're under the cosh. If you can get the ball to him at chest height, generally it sticks. Problem has been too often there's not been a teammate within 40 yards of him.

Yer man, Humphrey is our other means of getting up the park. Only player we have who can pick the ball up at our 18 yard line and it's at the opposition box before you know it. He even seems to have learned that if the rest of the team can't keep up, to try and win a corner or throw in...

By that logic you won't be wanting Humphrey to play in Europe then, since his game is all about lumping the ball in front of him and letting him run.

My Post is nothing to do with Humphrey, its my opinion on the striking options.... OJ and Murphy looked good, and its the only time we have caused Rangers any problems all season.

Its another option which i enjoyed watching, and im sure many others did too.

Not slagging Higdon off one bit, he is good at what he does. But i liked the performance of Oj and Murphy.

• Like 1

My Post is nothing to do with Humphrey, its my opinion on the striking options.... OJ and Murphy looked good, and its the only time we have caused Rangers any problems all season.

Its another option which i enjoyed watching, and im sure many others did too.

Not slagging Higdon off one bit, he is good at what he does. But i liked the performance of Oj and Murphy.

Murphy & Ojaama have looked good, but it'll all come down to who we play, what kind of result we're looking for from that particular game, and how the manager wants to play it.

I'm just thankful we have the options (for now).