The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

Really when you look at our recent history we've made a cup final. A semi final and a top 6 league finish and we've made Europe for 4 out of the last 5 seasons oh and we;re currently SECOND in the league. We really have a lot to be happy about. So we are a special club we're run by people who really care about MFC and most of the fans give good support. As i've said before a lot of posters on this have NEVER been to Fir Park and probably spotty teenagers with a mouse in one hand and their banger in the other i include Albi in that. :laugh:

Against Killie today 20 crosses into the box Higdon gets on the end of ONE!! Which he turns his back closes his eyes and trundles a header 8 yards wide. He totally immobile into the bargain. How even the most happier of clappers can be pleased with that performance today is beyond me. I know Murphy and The Hump were crap also. :wallbash: I say punt him in the 'window' and get someone else in.

You are actually such a tit. Do you realise that?

Against Killie today 20 crosses into the box Higdon gets on the end of ONE!! Which he turns his back closes his eyes and trundles a header 8 yards wide. He totally immobile into the bargain. How even the most happier of clappers can be pleased with that performance today is beyond me. I know Murphy and The Hump were crap also. :wallbash: I say punt him in the 'window' and get someone else in.

:lol::doh:

Link up play was good. I could count on one hand how many times he gave the ball away, his flick to set up Jennings chance was sublime. Countless headers won at both ends. Workrate was very good chasing and working for the team. Should have scored but he's already shown he knows how to score, more goals will come.

I'd say you talk utter shite.

• Like 1

DeWell. Fair fucks, it;s your opinion and fair play.

In my opinion he played better than usual today. Got a bit lacklustre towards the end of the second half,but so did most of the team.

Humphrey on the other hand. In my opinion, and my mates, waste of jersey just now.

But who else we got to change the team?

Watched the game on TV. Must admit I'm not a big fan of Higdon, but I thought he actually did quite well today.

One thing that happens time and again is that Higdon comes back to between half way and their box to get under a Randy kick out, and gets a flick on. There are NEVER any 'Well players beyond Higdon. No point in sending the guy out to get headers and flick ons if no one is going to go beyond him. In general. I thought he was actually quite tidy, especially the times he brought the ball down and played it wide. Still can't see the point of a target man for long balls if no one plays in front of him. He could be fuckin' superman, but he can't be expected to get on the end of his own flick ons !

Clearly missed him Chasing down a long ball and beating the defenders to it... from about 40 yards away :lol:

One thing that happens time and again is that Higdon comes back to between half way and their box to get under a Randy kick out, and gets a flick on. There are NEVER any 'Well players beyond Higdon. No point in sending the guy out to get headers and flick ons if no one is going to go beyond him.

Post of the week Ally. It happens week in week out.

One of the main reasons we are not scoring nearly as many goals as we should be. Jamie Murphy seems to be playing anywhere except alongide Michael Higdon. Given our current squad I'd say Bob McHugh has to play off his shoulder.

Watched the game on TV. Must admit I'm not a big fan of Higdon, but I thought he actually did quite well today.

One thing that happens time and again is that Higdon comes back to between half way and their box to get under a Randy kick out, and gets a flick on. There are NEVER any 'Well players beyond Higdon. No point in sending the guy out to get headers and flick ons if no one is going to go beyond him. In general. I thought he was actually quite tidy, especially the times he brought the ball down and played it wide. Still can't see the point of a target man for long balls if no one plays in front of him. He could be fuckin' superman, but he can't be expected to get on the end of his own flick ons !

This! If we got players behind him everytime, we'd get at least 10 goals per season out of it! With Murphy's/Humph's/Law's Pace running in behind, we'd find our players in a lot of 1-on-1 situations!

Personally, in the interests of playing to Higdon's strengths (since we seem incapable of doing it just now) I say we drop Humphrey in favour of either McHugh up front and Murphy in Humphrey's position (can do some damage from the wings) or bring in Daley / Forbes and give one of those guys a bash.

Murphy and Humphrey have been our under performers the last couple of weeks, not so much Higdon, yet it's him that gets it in the neck because no one is capable seemingly of reading what he does.

Imagine we didn't manage to get Higdon after Sutton left! wonder where we be now? ? ?

He's been good so far and unlucky today for that 2nd save after Jennings' shot ( that he should have scored ) 9 out 10 times Higdon would have hit the back of the net.

Keep going big man, some of us have faith ! ! thumbup.gif

On the couple of times I have seen Higdon on the TV he seems to be the only one up front with any ideas in front of goal.

I agree with some who say he should have someone laying off him up front maybe McHugh? But why are our wingers MIA when Higdon has the ball and no one to pass it to?

Having said that the team is playing well until we get into the box (pity the fox in the box moved on) Higdon on the telly looks unfit he looks although he lost his six pack and has gained a wee barrel. He does put in and some in a game and I'm sure he is doing extra training to get back his six pack.

McCall is well aware of what he needs up front...what he has to work with is doing ok IMO.

As TvT says Keep going big man, some of us have faith ! ! :thumbup:

None of our forwards had a good game today but big Higdon at least looked to be trying - which I know is unfair on Murph and Hump but its just the way I seen it. Maybe at home, some tweeking of the team tactics is required.

I'd like to see Daley AND Humphrey playing and possibly McHugh getting a start in place of Jamie Gives us an option of balls in form both flanks for Higgy to get on the end of, it would mean dropping a defender or midfielder though and going with 2 up front which is where the difficulty lies do we go 3 at the back bearing in mind both Daley and Humph have enough pace to get back and help out or bench Las/Jenno.

I'd like to see Daley AND Humphrey playing and possibly McHugh getting a start in place of Jamie Gives us an option of balls in form both flanks for Higgy to get on the end of, it would mean dropping a defender or midfielder though and going with 2 up front which is where the difficulty lies do we go 3 at the back bearing in mind both Daley and Humph have enough pace to get back and help out or bench Las/Jenno.

I mentioned that today as well. We also need someone powering forward through central midfield to support our lone striker but that isn't happening either. From the write up before he signed I assumed Nicky Law was being brought in to play in that role (a fast attacking central midfielder).

The team is playing well enough away from home but at Fir Park we need to change our tactics. Is there scope too to bring in Shaun Hutchinson and move Tim Clancy to right back? If all else fails, as it did today, it would at least give us more threat at set pieces.

If both were on form it could be worth a try but given that when Daley signed SMcC said, if you think Humphrey is frustraiting wait until you see Daley, it could be a disaster if both had a "frustraiting" game - and this site would have to be closed for a week while some folk calmed down! :laugh:

The team is playing well enough away from home but at Fir Park we need to change our tactics. Is there scope too to bring in Shaun Hutchinson and move Tim Clancy to right back? If all else fails, as it did today, it would at least give us more threat at set pieces.

No. Tom Hateley is criminally underated and imo is easily one of the best right backs in the SPL. Cracking player with a great degree of consistency for such a young player. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, Hateley has been outstanding for us.

• Like 5

completely agree with Well 4 Europe in regards to Hateley. For me there aren't many better or more consistant right backs in the division. Kenny Sheilds said something to that effect before the game yesterday also.↲

Its also hard to believe the guy is only what, 22 or 23? His level of consistency is fantastic for a young player who is arguably not playing in his natural position. Definetly one of the first names on the team sheet for me!

No, i agree with you. He is a far better right back than he is a CM. But for the lad to join the club as a midfielder and become so assured at RB i think he (and our coaching staff) deserves a lot of praise for, in my opinion, becoming one of our biggest assets.

I agree that Higdon has increased his workrate a little, he wins a lot of nice knock ons that maybe, as the balls in the air our wide men should be running inside in anticipation.

But when our widemen get a ball in at front post he never makes a run across the centre halves that would leave him with a tap in. He consistently follows the centre half into the box making it nearly impossible to find him with a cross.

He is never going to get in front of defenders if the ball is cut back by the winger as he's normally slower than them. He's not a poacher type of player and therefore he needs a partner to feed off his flick ons and one-two's. Having said that, we had a lot of set pieces against Kilie and he wasn't close to getting on the end of anything. That might be something to do with the deliveries mind you.

Sadly we don't have an out and out goal scorer, probably as we cannot afford one.

Despite the fact we are sitting second, our ratio of chances to goals has to be amongst the worst in the SPL. Week afetr week we create a dozen or so chances and I ainclude balls whizzing across the 6 yard box. 3 ot the last 4 results have been 1-0, 1-0 and 0-0.

Murphy has been playing poorly of late or at least to the level both he and the fans and probably even the Manager knows he is capable of. McHugh is ok, but at the moment no more. Murphy would be dropped if we had a player even remotely close to his talent. I just wish he would put on a stone or 3.....

I always felt we needed another striker, although Clancy has performed admirably in the last 2-3 games.

We NEED a poacher in the mould of Skippy and we would have 3rd place in our sights. Hopefully in January we can push the boat out and get one.