Motherwell v Aberdeen Discussion Thread

postiejim

Instantly forgettable performance but delighted with the 3 points.

Couldn't be happier for McHugh. Refreshing to see a boy chase down a lost cause, show some aggression and go on to show composure in front of goal. These are rare commodities in the current Motherwell set-up. There is a wee bit of the Scott McDonald about him.

Broon had us well sussed today as you would expect, with them nullifying the usual threat from the flanks, so we done well to grind them down and get a late winner. We could really do with a bit of craft and composure on the ball coming from the middle of the park though.

awful, awful game of fitba' and thought we looked very flat. Aberdeen are horrific and set their stall out to frustrate us and it nearly worked. Smashing goal from young Bob, hopefully he can kick on from here and hopefully this will give McCall the courage to use his bench more often as we can't possibly go on using the same bodies week-in, week-out.

Delighted with the outcome, but slightly down about the whole performance......but its always nice to see a Craig Brown team getting beat. Get it up you and yer pal Knox ya couple of auld wanks, wont be long now until your back on the dole!!!!

Didnt think the game was anywhere near as bad as some are making out. Thot we passed and kept the ball reasonably well, made the better chances against a predictably well organised Broon team.

I was surprised at the timing of the substitutions given McCalls reluctance so far this season and I thought they actually hurt us rather than helped so to get the goal when we did was sweet.

Well done young McHugh for his desire and composure. Nice to see a player get his head up and look for options before smashing it home! Glad he didnt try to thread it to Lasley who was burstin a gut to get up and help him out!

Cheer up Craigy Broon........

Not the most silky of performances, but we did at least try to win the game, something that couldn't be said of our once-illustrious visitors. Also, only about 200 away fans, one of the worst Dons supports in years, shows how far they've slipped.

Delighted for McHugh to net the winner, great work rate and an assured finish. If we can take something from Tannadice next week we'll be good fettle ahead of the international break.

Believe I was the first one on the Hibs thread suggesting McHugh should get his chance...:whistling:

Anyway well done wee man. The aggresion and tenacity he showed when he came on was tremendous. Bullying guys twice his size out the way and chasing lost causes. As some have said he reminds me of Scott McDonald in the way he plays. A goal skippy would have been proud of today. Great determination and a great tackle before showing skill and composure to cut inside on his weaker foot and fire home. Said he should have started ahead of Murphy and I still feel he should have, Higdon and McHugh up front for me next week please. Murphy looked none to great again today and if i'm honest I feel he needs to try and show some of the agression that McHugh did when he came on. Not getting carried away with Bob it's only one goal but I've always felt he had something about him and in the last few games he's taken his chance. Well done Bob..

The rest were okay. Not a great game but a clean fucking sheet! Hallelujah! Forgot what they were like. Thought Clancy was much better today as was Hammell. Lasley MOTM for me again, superb. Wasn't a great game but we needed a win after the week we've had and we got it. The fact it was a late winner against old judas himself made it all the sweeter.:cheers:

What was the difference between Aberdeen today and St Johnstone? In my mind not a fat lot. The difference between Motherwell today and Motherwell last week was immeasurable though. Both Motherwell performances were substandard but what we did today was avoid careless mistakes at the back and made sure first and foremost that Aberdeen ended on 0. We're going to have days where our attacking flair and lovely passing moves just don't come off. What is important for us is when that happens we don't giftwrap the three points to the other team with outbreaks of moronic defending. Today first and foremost we made sure we didn't lose the game and then we got the wee rub from a moment of individual brilliance to give us three points. There were so many things to like about that goal. That he bothered to get off his arse and play on. That he went for the box. That he waited until support was arriving to force the goalie into a decision. That he finished it with such aplomb. All reasons that that was a good goal and for a boy that has not had many chances to show that confidence almost arrogance was pleasing. Aye we'll not be spending too long on this game in the title winning DVD in May ;-) but it was a cracking three points given the setbacks we've had this week and the improvement in the defence. By the way Clancy was miles better today and is maybe showing signs of settling into the role. Big test for him next week though.

• Like 1

What was the difference between Aberdeen today and St Johnstone? In my mind not a fat lot. The difference between Motherwell today and Motherwell last week was immeasurable though. Both Motherwell performances were substandard but what we did today was avoid careless mistakes at the back and made sure first and foremost that Aberdeen ended on 0. We're going to have days where our attacking flair and lovely passing moves just don't come off. What is important for us is when that happens we don't giftwrap the three points to the other team with outbreaks of moronic defending. Today first and foremost we made sure we didn't lose the game and then we got the wee rub from a moment of individual brilliance to give us three points. There were so many things to like about that goal. That he bothered to get off his arse and play on. That he went for the box. That he waited until support was arriving to force the goalie into a decision. That he finished it with such aplomb. All reasons that that was a good goal and for a boy that has not had many chances to show that confidence almost arrogance was pleasing. Aye we'll not be spending too long on this game in the title winning DVD in May ;-) but it was a cracking three points given the setbacks we've had this week and the improvement in the defence. By the way Clancy was miles better today and is maybe showing signs of settling into the role. Big test for him next week though.

What he said!

awful, awful game of fitba' and thought we looked very flat. Aberdeen are horrific and set their stall out to frustrate us and it nearly worked. Smashing goal from young Bob, hopefully he can kick on from here and hopefully this will give McCall the courage to use his bench more often as we can't possibly go on using the same bodies week-in, week-out.

Delighted with the outcome, but slightly down about the whole performance......but its always nice to see a Craig Brown team getting beat.......

Just about sums it up for me too.

Another disappointing display today against a poor but workmanlike Aberdeen side who almost deserved a point. First things first though - it was great to win the 3 points especially against Brown and Knox. Also a great solo goal by Bob McHugh to seal the victory. Hopefully that'll give him some confidence and earn him a starting slot alongside Michael Higdon.

For me though another poor performance with our recurrent failings, minus the horrific individual defensive errors, evident once again. Men of the Match probably Tim Clancy and Keith Lasley.

We were unfortunate that the woodwork stopped us from taking a 2 goal lead. However, defensively we were shaky again with Hammell and especially Craigan looking vulnerable. Midfield was a mixed bag with Lasley being the pick of the crop and Jennings and Law looking decidely below par. Jamie Murphy was again played out of position frequently popping up behind our holding midfield players. I really do feel for him. Possibly our most talented player but being asked to play in a role he's totally unsuited for. Michael Higdon had a poor game but again suffered from lack of support and service.

Our Plan A struggled against a cautious Aberdeen side who defended in depth when the mood took them. I'm flummoxed as to how we were going to break down a resolute in depth defence with only one striker on the pitch!!! Despite attacking for spells we struggled to put more than one man in the Dons' box. Players queuing up outside the box but only Michael Higdon actually venturing into it.

Time for a rethink on tactics and line up methinks. We shouldn't let Bob McHugfh's excellent individual goal mask a below par performance against a poor team.

• Like 2

We shouldn't let Bob McHugfh's excellent individual goal mask a below par performance against a poor team.

Some people are hard to please :P

Aberdeen may be a poor team, but they still have 5 strikers to choose from and a wage budget which I would estimate to be high 6 or even 7 figures more than Motherwell FC.

It was not a great performance, but that WILL happen a lot this season, as we have players which if they played well week in week out would not be at Motherwell FC. Simples...

Maybe we should be playing silky football like Barcelona each week and playing teams off the park, teams who have larger resources than we have.

re the Stephen Craigan incident someone referred to...........this is how i seen it

murphy subbed - some fans took exception, booed and abused

craigan over heard this, looked to the stand and told them by use of his hands to calm down

mchugh then scores and craigan loses it and celebrates hysterically (love it when he does that!) in the direction of said boos/abuse

game finishes and craigan goes "to have a chat" with afore mentioned "fans"

now i have no idea what he said, but im guessing it was along the lines of calm down and support the team, you want to win, we want to win

and they weren't wee guys - im guessing early 40s

A frustrating but ultimately a very rewarding afternoon.

I thought that Murphy crafting an opportunity to early in the game might have set the tone but it never quite happened and the game quickly deteriorated.

With Humphrey and Clancy hitting the woodwork it really felt like it was going to be one of those days and after that every time Aberdeen broke up the park it felt like it was almost inevitable they would sneak it and round off an awful week.

The substitution of Murphy and the reaction it sparked is already being discussed elsewhere so won't go too much into that here but when I saw McHugh getting ready I assumed it would have been a similar change to midweek and a signal that we were going for it, when it was Murphy's number came up my first reaction was that we would remain like for like in set up. I would imagine that may also have been a factor in some fans frustration boiling over.

Tweed, only a few posts up, gives a great analysis of the McHugh goal so again not too much to add on that. I do hope that by virtue of his winners in recent games (albeit the Hibs goal was ofcourse disallowed) that Bob has made strides in being viewed as a credible option up front, both by the support and most importantly McCall and not simply a bench-filler that you chuck on in the "hope" he might do something.

Lessons for McCall to learn in that he perhaps has more scope in his squad for tweaking his selections and tactics that he may give his squad credit for but also for us as punters too. I think we need to waken up to the fact that by virtue of our start the styles employed by many teams on visits to Fir Park are going to mirror that of Aberdeen and we have to be prepared for it by showing a degree of patience and calm that we might not necessarily be comfortable with. Fortunately with goals at Paisley, Dunfermline, Clyde, what should have been a late winner in ET on Tuesday and today our team are showing themselves as quite adept at snatching goals at the end of games and again its perhaps worth keeping that in mind too if we haven't been able to put a game to bed as early as we might have hoped.

But overall we got there. Not pretty, very frustrating at times but we got there.

• Like 1

Them two old c***s came and parked the bus with they're anti fitba.

I'm pleased that we stuck to our guns and eventually got a breakthrough.

Pleased that McHugh scored and pleased that McCall must be beginning to see that he can possibly get some benefit from a wee bit of rotation or heaven forbid a substitution.

Pleased that the great work that the boys in the bottom corner managed to keep some sort of atmosphere going when they bastards came and sooked the life oot of a game of fitba

Pleased that bawbag and bawbag are away back up the road minus the points.

Pleased also that they are getting severe pelters in the media - for anybody who didn't here it, nice man Craig's pre match interview on Radio Scotland could quite probably be his best yet.

"This isn't my team" - Aye right Craig ya auld tosser.

Pleased that we've got seven days to re-group after a tough week

Pleased that our next game is away from home

Them two old c***s came and parked the bus with they're anti fitba.

That's Broon right now - he said as much in his post-match interview.

Another reason I was glad to see the auld man move on. He should never have been with us after his first season because he doesn't have the vision to take a team forward. He's proving that again at Aberdeen. Perfect for the short-term job to stop them being relegated, but clueless when it comes to improving what he has.