Aberdeen Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

A great result from Stuart McCall and the team. Still sitting 2nd on goal differeence in late Novermber on 29 points. Good to to see Michael Higdon and Omar Daley notch goals. Was a bit surprised that Stephen Hughes didn't even feature on the bench given he's only signed for 6 weeks.

Still happy days indeed.

It wasn't the greatest performance but we had the fighting spirit that saw us through in the end. After we got the second goal i thought Aberdeen would equalise but we rode the storm for ten minutes then we were pretty comfortable there after with Randolph having next to nothing to deal with. Great spirit from the boys on the park and they showed how much it meant at full time. Important home games coming up which we really need to be getting 4 points from to sustain 3rd place. Mon the Well!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Daley-dedicates-Motherwell-winner-to--Fanna-_10209839

Daley dedicates Motherwell winner to 'Fanna'

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Reggae Boy Omar Daley dedicated his first goal for new club Motherwell to his late friend and former Jamaica teammate, the late Winston 'Fanna' Griffith.

Daley, the speedy midfielder, told the Sunday Observer immediately after the 2-1 away win to 11th-placed Aberdeen, that he had dedicated the game to his friend prior to kick-off, and added that scoring a goal was icing on the cake.

"I said before the game I will dedicate it (match) to my close friend and former teammate Winston G, so I am happy that I could do it in such style," said the former Glenmuir High student.

Griffiths, who died suddenly last month, was laid to rest yesterday in Bogue, St Elizabeth, following a church service at the Power of Faith Deliverance Ministry in May Pen, Clarendon.

Daley, playing 70 minutes and getting his first start for Stuart McCall's Motherwell, got the winner when he blasted home from 18 yards in the 53rd minute of play. Scott Vernon had equalised four minutes for Aberdeen after Michael Higdon headed the visitors into an early lead, but Aberdeen rarely looked like levelling again after Daley struck.

"It was good to get off the mark, good to get the win and go joint second with Celtic," said the former Bradford City man.

Daley moved to the Scottish Premier League outfit two months ago after a short spell on the unemployment line after his contact ran out with English League Two Bradford.

He said Motherwell has been good to him and and I said "it's just a blessing to be apart of such a good team coming".

Motherwell are second in the points table, tied with Celtic on 29 points, but both are 10 adrift of the dominant Rangers.

— Observer/AFP

if i'm reading these correctly

it'll soon be more than 3 years since Aberdeen won against us in the SPL

5 'Well wins and 4 draws :D

http://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/865-856.html

Premier League (Scotland)

19/11/11, 16:00 Aberdeen - Motherwell 1 : 2 (1 : 1) (0 : 1) 15. Gameday

24/09/11, 16:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen 1 : 0 (0 : 0) (1 : 0) 9. Gameday

02/04/11, 16:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen 2 : 1 (1 : 0) (1 : 1) 31. Gameday

15/02/11, 20:45 Aberdeen - Motherwell 1 : 2 (1 : 1) (0 : 1) 26. Gameday

18/09/10, 16:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen 1 : 1 (1 : 0) (0 : 1) 5. Gameday

30/01/10, 16:00 Aberdeen - Motherwell 0 : 3 (0 : 1) (0 : 2) 23. Gameday

21/11/09, 16:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen 1 : 1 (1 : 0) (0 : 1) 12. Gameday

29/08/09, 16:00 Aberdeen - Motherwell 0 : 0 (0 : 0) (0 : 0) 3. Gameday

04/04/09, 16:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen 1 : 1 (1 : 0) (0 : 1) 31. Gameday

29/11/08, 16:00 Aberdeen - Motherwell 2 : 0 (0 : 0) (2 : 0) 16. Gameday

I remember that 2-0 defeat well. Thoroughly miserable performance and horrid drive back down the road. My main memory is Paul Quinn giving away a penalty and getting sent off for a push in the box. Although if I'd known then how we would own them over the next three years I'm sure the result would have been a lot easier to take :lol:

Craig Brown "There is no evidence of a gap between us and Motherwell.............."

Craig, what about the keague table and the 17 point gap that that shows? Case closed ya auld dick. There is a massive gap.

Even Ricky Foster was in the paper saying how we kept the ball with ease while they panicked in possession.

I think the reason for the gap between us and the rest has been the very small changes to the squad and also the fact we have bought some real quality players, while other like Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd have been pretty poor in the transfer market.

Hateley, Randolph, Jennings and Higdon have all been good signings.

Also another big thing for me has been that since McCall has come in we have been very consistent against the teams around us.

The only blot on his CV has been our record against the Old Firm.

Some direct quotes from Mr Brown following the the result. All taking from the Sun and all brilliant:

1/ "Thats the 8th time this season we've hit the woodwork and on many of these occassions we would have got the points" (WTF?! This makes absolutely no sense! We had 16corners against Celtic last week - but its goals that count!)

2/ "There has been ...so many occassions this season where we've desperately unlucky - like today" (Its called "being shite", not unlucky!)

3/ "There is no evidence of a gap between us and Motherwell" (8places in the league, 17points and haven't beaten Motherwell in 9games now! But aye, right you are!)

4/ We didn't do enough to win, but we didn't deserve to lose and there is certainly not a league table between us!" (Yes there isn't a league table between us. Just 2/3rds of a league table!)

I mean seriously, you could do a whole Only an Excuse episode devoted to the guff he comes out with, and you wouldn't have to make it up!

Be interesting to see what points and league position the Dandy Dons were in this time last year. This was the time when McGhee was getting it very tight before, IIRC, getting the bullet on the 1st Dec.

Brown has been at the helm for a year more or less. Progress? I can't see it.

McCall in the other hand has pretty much played a blinder all this season as well as a Cup Final and a top six finish in the last campaign. I'm grateful for what Brown did at his time with us but glad we were able to kick on from the style of football that he had/would have continued to have us playing.

Be interesting to see what points and league position the Dandy Dons were in this time last year. This was the time when McGhee was getting it very tight before, IIRC, getting the bullet on the 1st Dec.

As far I can find:

Name P W D L F A Gd Pts

Rangers 14 12 1 1 34 15 19 37

Celtic 15 11 2 2 35 12 23 35

Hearts 14 8 2 4 22 13 9 26

Inverness CT 15 7 4 4 26 18 8 25

Motherwell 14 7 2 5 22 16 6 23

Kilmarnock 15 6 2 7 24 18 6 20

Dundee Utd 14 5 4 5 15 20 -5 19

Hibernian 15 4 3 8 17 25 -8 15

St Johnstone 15 4 3 8 10 22 -12 15

St Mirren 15 3 4 8 14 26 -12 13

Aberdeen 15 3 1 11 15 31 -16 10

Hamilton 15 2 4 9 11 29 -18 10

Got this off an Aberdeen forum.

McGhee was sacked after 18 games last season having won 6 and drawn just 1.

16 games into this season we have won 4 and drawn 3.

After 18 games last season we scored 23 - with 2 games to go to this point this season we have scored 18.

Only real improvement is goals against column with 34 conceded after 18 games last season and with 2 games less have conceded 13 less goals.

Cheers guys. Major difference appears to be that 9-0 pumping at the hands of Celtic. That was one of the main reasons why their goals against column was so bad this time last season. Brown is getting regularly beat but Aberdeen aren't getting thumped by anybody.

I'm not certain but I'd wager the Aberdeen fans would be pretty p'd aff going back to us for a third time regardless of how well McCall is doing. They coukdn't afford him anyway as SM still has 18 months of his contract to run.

I don't think we need to worry about Aberdeen coming in for McCall, however if he keeps this up it won;t be long before a championship side or even Rangers are sniffing about.