Who Should Have Been Capped?

Well Up For It!

Speaking to a fellow 'Well fan teh other day about Hammell (as mentioned in the Greatest LB thread), we both agreed that the fact Hammell has only got 1cap (a B cap as well I think) is shocking. Especially when you consider the likes of Lee Wallace, Robbie Neilson, Paul Dixon, Danny Fox, Stephen Crainey, etc all getting caps while he'd been arguably one of the most steady and consistent performers in the SPL!

However, he ain't the only one. I always bring up Brian Martin in this chat! A excellent CB and should have been given a chance for Scotland. He constently put the shackles on the tops guns of the Old Firm and was outstanding in the air. Corrigan at his peak as well merrited a call up? Joe Wark and Pettigrew (think he got one cap while at 'Well) A case for Phil O'Donnell too? And then you have the likes of McAllister, Lambert, McClair, McCulloch, McFadden, etc who never got international honours till after they left Motherwell (which maybe branches into another debate!)

Anyway, whats the thoughts on 'Well players who should have been capped/capped more?

And then you have the likes of McAllister, Lambert, McClair, McCulloch, McFadden, etc who never got international honours till after they left Motherwell (which maybe branches into another debate!)

Not sure about the rest but Faddy definitely got capped for Scotland whilst at Motherwell, a number of times if memory serves.

I don't think McLair and McAllister were quite ready for a cap during their time at Fir Park, and there were a number of fans (not me) who'd claim McCulloch shouldn't even have been in our first team, far less the international squad :P

Wullie P and Joe Wark at their peak should have won many more caps, and Keith McRae could have if he hadn't moved south.

Lambert and Martin were also definitely worth a shout.

Faddy was indeed capped a handful of times as a Motherwell player, including the infamous trip to Hong Kong.

However, he only scored his first International goal (in the drubbing of the Faroes, at Parkhead IIRC) about a week/fortnight after signing for Everton.

Was that game at Parkhead not a different campaign? I remember him coming off the bench in Dortmund while still with us and he went on to score against the Dutch a few months later, can't remeber if he scored before that.

McCart was capped if IIRC, midweek friendly springs to mind.

Was Martin never capped? I remember him being in a squad and there is the story of him wearing his Scotland shirt to Euro 96.

McKinnon is probably the best I've seen that never made it into the Scotland setup.

Was that game at Parkhead not a different campaign? I remember him coming off the bench in Dortmund while still with us and he went on to score against the Dutch a few months later, can't remeber if he scored before that.

McCart was capped if IIRC, midweek friendly springs to mind.

Was Martin never capped? I remember him being in a squad and there is the story of him wearing his Scotland shirt to Euro 96.

McKinnon is probably the best I've seen that never made it into the Scotland setup.

He scored against the Faroes on teh Saturday before the Dortmund match on the Wednesday

....and Im pretty sufre that Lambert, Martin and McKinnon were all involved in a Scotland squad together whilst all at Motherwell, possibly on a tour of the far-east???

edit to add; if I a remember correctly McCart was only capped at B level against Wales and scored twice in a 1-1 draw :rolleyes:

He scored against the Faroes on teh Saturday before the Dortmund match on the Wednesday

....and Im pretty sufre that Lambert, Martin and McKinnon were all involved in a Scotland squad together whilst all at Motherwell, possibly on a tour of the far-east???

You are correct. All were picked and played in Scotland's 1995 Kirin Cup "campaign".

Brian Martin and Paul Lambert both played in both matches.

While McKinnon played in the Japan game. McKinnon received all his three caps as a Motherwell player

The problem is Motherwell get internationalists after they have passed their best & well past being an international pick. We also have youngsters who we sell on before they are ready for the international set up. And then we have the likes of Martin & McKinnon who are considered shite coz they play for Motherwell. These 2 boys would have had a lot more caps had they played for Hibs or Utd.

Interesting thoughts....

For me the biggest travesties from players I've seen is Hammell, Martin and McKinnon. A lot left us and went on to win their caps, but how McKinnon, Hammel and Martin have a total of 6caps between them is shocking! I'm no seeing their world beaters or that - just that they should have got their chance. Maybe harder for MArtin cause he was behind Gough, Hendry, Calderwood, etc - but seem to recall Paul Ritchie and Stewart McSkimmie being selected before him - which is just madness!! Was it not Mark Hateley that refered to Martin as one of the toughest centre halfs he'd ever came up against?!

As for McKinnon, he was behind mainly Tom Boyd but surely he should have made more squads giving chances in friendlies, etc?

As for Hammell - its a joke that he's behind Lee Wallace, Paul Dixon, Danny Fox and Stephen Crainey.

Guess all this is just further proof that Craig Broon and Craig Levein are fucking arseholes! :)

This is a great topic.

In my time there have been a few players.

Brian Martin - although he got a few caps and was in the initial France 98 squad with Nicky Walker, the keeper that had been relegated with Partick, if I remember, he was a great defender and players like Alan McLaren at Rangers were first pick on the Scotland team.

Chris McCart - how he never got a cap only Craig Brown knows.

Paul Lambert - I know he was capped at 'well, but should have featured ahead of players like McStay. Lambert didn't even become a regular for Scotland whilst at Dortmund, winning the Champions League. It was only when moved to Celtic was he first pick.

Steven Hammell - I think that the Beri Vogts reign left a lot of players without deserved caps, but surely Hammell deserves a lot more. When I see average players like Fox getting capped it still annoys me.

Steven Pearson - Should have been capped while at Motherwell. Exciting talent back then.

I've actually spoke to Joe Wark about his lack of Scotland caps when I was in the centenary suite before a game last year and he said Scotland were spoilt for choice in the full back positions in his day. I can't remember some of the names he said kept him out the team. Can any one shed any light?

I've actually spoke to Joe Wark about his lack of Scotland caps when I was in the centenary suite before a game last year and he said Scotland were spoilt for choice in the full back positions in his day. I can't remember some of the names he said kept him out the team. Can any one shed any light?

I'd imagine Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine featured. I can't remember others but I do recall Scotland being so well off for right backs that Danny McGrain played left back. I might be wrong on that one though...

• Like 1

I'd imagine Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine featured. I can't remember others but I do recall Scotland being so well off for right backs that Danny McGrain played left back. I might be wrong on that one though...

Exactly the 2 and I was thinking Danny McGrain when I made the post but always thought of him as a right back but you have explained it.