Safe Standing Areas

Modernist

Let's not overlook this paragraph:

The SPL board will now have the ability to approve any request made by a club to pilot a standing area, subject to further approval from the police and local authorities.

So it's not just an SPL decision.

Now that the SPL in their wisdom have decided to allow clubs to set up safe standing areas, and see how it goes, where do you think it will be set up at Fir Park and do the fans want it. Personally i am quite happy with my seat in the POD, but this may encourage a few more people back to Fir Park. The only worry i have is that clubs may be forced to spend money we dont have to set these areas up, and they will not prove popular. The only people i see standing are the guys at the end of the East Stand, but is it worth the expense to set it up for them. Also will away fans be allowed in to these areas, and if so how will the segregation work. This has all the makings of another rushed and ill thought out proposal, comments please ?

Section for home and away I'd hope but the majority will still remain seating. To be honest I'm more than happy to sit at the fitba now but those that want to stand, and prefer to do so, should be accomodated. Whether every Club will pilot this scheme, some are chosen or volunteer.....who knows. Either way I, like everyone else on here, will be watching these developments closely.

South end of the East would be ideal as most of the fans in that end stand at the moment. And with the East being an ex-terrace, it's just a matter of unbolting the seats and bolting in the barriers. Hell, I'm sure the club could find enough fans to volunteer to bolt the seats back in when we're in the Champions League... :whistling: Pretty sure Dee had mentioned that the Aalesund Fans already do that over in Norway...

As for the away fans, bottom tier of the South with fans seated in the top tier. And again, when we're beating Barcelona, we could bolt the seats back in.

I think this is a positive move.

However, Neil Doncaster has already touted the German model, which is a type of fold down seat. I dont think many clubs will be prepared to pay the money for it, us included.

Why not just allow the standing with the seats in place at the moment? Its been going on since the seats were introduced in clubs up and down the country. Cant recall any major problems with the current arrangement.

On the whole though :thumbup:

I take it this safe standing, will have to be UEFA approved otherwise we wont be able to use any area allocated for standing in European competition? That will mean that it wont be a case of just ripping seats out and will in effect cost the club money for implementing the system? Which would lead me to suspect that we wont see a decrease in entry costs at stadiums with safe standing

I think we will have a 'trial' period in the Main/O'donnell stand enclosure, subject to the approval of the relevant authorities. The easiest & cheapest part of the ground for Motherwell Football & Athletic Club LTD to convert to safe standing as far as I'm concerned. It would be brilliant to have the Chior section back but one step at a time......

Quite costly those seats eh?

If we as a club were looking to install these rail seats what sort of numbers would we be talking?

Would the people interested be willing to pay a one off extra £84 on their season tickets to fund the move? it would be something I would be interested in.