Motherwell Vs Dunfermline Matchday Thread

David

I have a little sympathy with Stuart McCall in how to get the best from Jamie. He has shown himself capable of tearing full-backs apart and cutting inside and scoring, finishing from close range inside the box and scoring from distance outside the box. I think McCall must be faced with the dilemma of knowing that sticking him to a single role be it as a winger or out-and-out-striker might actually inhibit what he can do when you know just what he is capable of doing.

Jamie Murphy can play in a number of roles, but at present can only play consistently well in one - as a winger. He is at his most effective when cutting in from the left wing against a team playing an open game. He is not suited to breaking down the serried ranks of defenders we constantly face at home these days. Is he capable of playing a different type of game? Mark McGhee certainly thought so and was keen to develop his defensive skills. However we've seen very limited evidence so far of his versatility. In our position I think we should stick to playing him as an out and out winger and then maybe not for 90 minutes week in and week out.

The game against the Pars is going to be very tough - forget their league position. The time to be confident will be after the final whistle if we've won.

With some players, SM will be able to cast up the Tynecastle performance to give them an ear bashing but with others its best not mentioned. SM will know best.

I wasn't keen on the signing of Hughes to begin with, feeling that midfield was an area that we didn't need any new faces.

I'd rather see him move on next month and any money we have used to bring in some sort of forward. Even a loan deal until the end of the season or something, as we're really light up front just now.

X 2 David. Stephen Hughes was lightweight, although taleneted, first time around and hasn't changed in my view. Ok he probably isn't match fit but has shown virtually nothing in his limited appearances this season. Is he so good that we have to spend months getting him match fit only for him to put in inconsistent (at best) performances. To finish on a more positive note, we have lads like Carswell, McHugh and Clancy who are desperate for a first team slot.

• Like 1

Same back four, Drop Hughes, put in Humphrey, Play a 4/2/4

Higdon Daley Up front, Humphrey, Murphy playing either nwings swapping over from time to time.

Any other team i would never suggest this, but Dunfermilne, get them on the back foot from the start, Its worth a try!.

If it was up to me I'd make a few changes:

Hughes out- doesn't look like it's working, needs game time which he won't get much of when Jennings is available. Think Carswell could be a long term replacement for Jenno if/when he leaves, I'd give him a start. Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Forbes play either.

Daley out- Looked good in spells but would like to think Humphrey would have a point to prove and hopefully come out all guns blazing and give Austin McCann a torrid time again.

Murphy out- McHugh in. People keep saying he's improving but not for me, he's been poor for a while. Give Bob a game, someone with good movement and a bit of agression to play off Higdon.

Essentially we've been poor for a wee bit but still grinding out results, some players look off form. The result at the weekend has been coming. So why not give some of the younger, hungrier players a chance. Try and freshen things up. Play at a higher tempo and try and get some support to Higdon.

Sadly I think McCall will make one change at most, probably Humphrey for Murphy or Daley. We'll approach the game in the same way with them sitting in and us struggling to break them down. Won't be much in it 0-0 most likely or the odd goal either way. If we don't win our next two home games then questions have to be asked as we should be looking for two wins against the two worst teams we'll play at Fir Park all season.

all we need to do just now is change to a 4-4-2 and keep the 11 from saturday.

i thought hughes was ok on saturday and when he went off we completely stopped passing the ball. carswell did absolutely nothing so i don't see how he is suddenly in pole posistion. forbes is finished at fir park and probably in the spl.

dropping murphy would be the height of stupidity. he's off form and being played out of position but he's still only scored one less goal in the league than the fat striker who has chances laid on a plate for him.

We need to shake it up a bit as we have become rather stale and predictable. Results have gone for us but just. Id like to go back to a 4_4_2 with bob and higgy upfront and blast them in the 1st half trying to kill the game as quickly as possible, this was very very effective when mcduff first came in and teams didnt have a clue what to do against us.

if we go 4-4-2 and quicken things up and play at a higher tempo from the start then we should win the game if we dont and our build up play is too slow and allow dunfermline to get men behind the ball then it could be a struggle.any sort of win will do me as long as we get the 3 points

Worst of the wind due between about 3 and 6 pm, weather should clear and wind calm down a bit (gusts still in excess of 40mph by kick-off time).

30 years since we had a bigger than two-goal victory over Dunfermline at Fir Park, and only three times have we won by more than a goal. Time to put that right.

30 years since we had a bigger than two-goal victory over Dunfermline at Fir Park, and only three times have we won by more than a goal. Time to put that right.

Typo Ricky? I seem to remember us beating them 3-0 at Fir Park with the ground covered in a smattering of the green, black and yellow of GKS Katowice whom we'd played in the midweek. That would have been 1991.

We shouldn't under estimate the importance of this game, most weeks when we've dropped points the other fixtures have been kind to us but with St Johnstone playing Killy at home we can't afford not to take 3 points from this one.

I'd like to see us start this one quickly and aggressively driving at the defence from first opportunity. Even the St J game I thought we looked a bit flat and vulnerable down the flanks.

Everyone will want to put Saturdays dismal performance behind them so should be well fired up for this game, so with that in mind I'd take a 1-0 victory.

Dunfermline will come and get everyone behind the ball and hit in the counter attack ,that's no rocket science almost every team has done that at firpark this season and we've found it very difficult to break them down. Tomorrow wont be any different, it will be yet another boring affair. :negative: