The Well Society

stuwell

It will be sitting there a long time if they are waiting for me to pop in and pick it up.

They have said that they'll post it to folk who are not local but to save on costs they're asking people to pick up where possible. To quote the email "To try and save money on postage costs, if would be helpful if members could collect the DVD from the Ticket Office over the next few weeks. However, if you do not live locally, we can arrange to send it to you. We appreciate your help as this will save money directly from the 'Well Society funds."

Makes sense to me, but then I just live round the corner.

Makes sense to me, but then I just live round the corner.

I don't think anyone would say that's unreasonable, but given that they know where we all live, it's a bit of a pain for those of us who aren't local to have to get in touch with them *every* time to make special arrangements for things like this.

I don't think anyone would say that's unreasonable, but given that they know where we all live, it's a bit of a pain for those of us who aren't local to have to get in touch with them *every* time to make special arrangements for things like this.

I think they're between a rock and hard place for this though. They could automatically post it to everyone not within a 20/50/100 mile radius but where is the optimal distance? Some folk won't be that bothered about the DVD and the society can save on costs.

Perhaps it would be easier next season to make a version available to download?

I think they're between a rock and hard place for this though. They could automatically post it to everyone not within a 20/50/100 mile radius but where is the optimal distance? Some folk won't be that bothered about the DVD and the society can save on costs.

Agreed. I could potentially make it, but am likely to be busy so won't get a chance to get through. I've emailed the club to ask if they can post it to me but offered to pay for the postage. I don't mind sticking a couple of quid in to save the club money on postage.

They can put it into the "Faddy Fund". thumbup.gif

Well, if they wanted to keep it really simple, the cut-off point could be "lives outside Scotland" (yes, I know there are plenty of fans in Scotland who live too far from FP to pick stuff up too, but what the heck--most of them probably still have some chance to use some of the other benefits that are no use at all to those of us overseas). But even if they just had a policy of assuming that they need to send whatever-it-is this time because it needed sending last time, until you let them know otherwise, it would be an improvement. I'd even be happy to pay an optional bit extra on my subscription to cover some or all of the postage costs.

Downloads would be great for us, but probably not all that practical for the club. Hosting large downloads anywhere decent would incur additional costs of its own, and they'd have to set up out some sort of nominal protection scheme so that only 'Well Society members could download it.

Just been in the ticket office collecting my ST books, phone bleeped with a new email, glanced at it seen Well society and left it for later, wish there had been a notice up, guess ours will have to lie cluttering the place up til end of July

What makes you think there will be one for members next season?

What makes you think there will be one for members next season?

That's a fair point and I have nothing to back that up. The membership ready reconer doesn't say per season, but then it doesn't say that it's for one year only. Did the season ticket discount last more than 1 year?

• 2 weeks later...

At the Well Society meeting last night each of the amendments to the existing rules were passed.

The main talking point was the change to allow monies to be loaned to the club from the WS leaving them with the option now of both buying shares and loaning money to MFC when the occasion arose.

After a brief run through by the WS board as to why they wanted to do that, Derek Weir spoke at much greater length as to why it was important to be able to do both and attempted to clear up a couple of points along the way. Still quite complicated in parts all the same.

For example the original understanding I and I think many had from the early days was that the WS would build up a growing kitty upon which the club could request to access as a virtual interest free overdraft and that John Boyle's shares would be gifted to the WS in stages upon that kitty reaching a certain "target" until full ownership was achieved.

Not so. "What was meant by that was........" A quite different scenario in reality where if the WS buy shares in MFC, as they did recently they get whatever percentage of Boyle's shares (6% was quoted for the recent purchase) and things like WS board members being appointed to the MFC board alllowing the WS more influence on the club.

When shares are bought it seems the WS investment still remains ring-fenced within the club to use for cash flow problems. Whilst it can't ever be returned to the WS it would effectively be a fund - tucked away for MFC to turn to when required.

If however the WS wish to loan money to the club, they would get this money back, but would not be in a position to take advantage of any of the 'perks' that come with the purchase of shares.

Weir stated the club's preference would be not to borrow from the WS if at all possible.

A fair bit of other stuff was said which if it hasn't been posted later by anyone else I'll try to add in later when I have more time.

i think that is the 6th meeting i've attended but it's the first time the nuts and bolts of how the society will accquire shares and loan money to the club were clearly explained. considering all the effort that went into creating the society it's surprising that two years on from the nucleus the rules weren't fit for purpose and many engaged members totally misunderstood the model.

the most pertinent question of the night was from a guy near the back who asked about a time scale for fan ownership. this response to this from the society board can best be described as flapping but derek weir admitted that it was impossible to say. this is what i believe will be the downfall of the society, the initial membership was the most enthusiastic fans contributing to try and get the society established. now you are looking for less enthusiastic people to join up and if they ask what difference their £300 or £1000 will make there is not one single tangible thing the society can tell them. it's basically give us a lump sum at the moment and we might own the club in ten years time which isn't very inspiring.

as andy said above the society has the option now of buying shares or loaning money to provide capital to the club. for me the best thing for the society would be to loan the money short term and build up the funds in the society account as there is no difference between the society owning 6% or 26% in the club and giving the club the money means there is a chance they will spend it (we heard a lot about how they will try not to spend it, nothing about ring fencing protocols in place). as the board have already spent 1/3rd of the money without consulting the membership i doubt the average member will get any say in this.

the other main thing that was changed was changing the rules so that members who don't pay their annual fees aren't ejected from the society. it seems to me that whether they do or don't won't have much effect on the society grand total anyway as the annual fee pays for your benefits which makes it a zero sum game.

i asked about the lack of communication from the new club board members since their election and they said they will try to give members an idea of what they are doing in their roles as directors going forward.

also graham barnstaple is representing the club at the euro draw in nyon which is nice for him.

i think that is the 6th meeting i've attended but it's the first time the nuts and bolts of how the society will accquire shares and loan money to the club were clearly explained. considering all the effort that went into creating the society it's surprising that two years on from the nucleus the rules weren't fit for purpose and many engaged members totally misunderstood the model.

the most pertinent question of the night was from a guy near the back who asked about a time scale for fan ownership. this response to this from the society board can best be described as flapping but derek weir admitted that it was impossible to say. this is what i believe will be the downfall of the society, the initial membership was the most enthusiastic fans contributing to try and get the society established. now you are looking for less enthusiastic people to join up and if they ask what difference their £300 or £1000 will make there is not one single tangible thing the society can tell them. it's basically give us a lump sum at the moment and we might own the club in ten years time which isn't very inspiring.

as andy said above the society has the option now of buying shares or loaning money to provide capital to the club. for me the best thing for the society would be to loan the money short term and build up the funds in the society account as there is no difference between the society owning 6% or 26% in the club and giving the club the money means there is a chance they will spend it (we heard a lot about how they will try not to spend it, nothing about ring fencing protocols in place). as the board have already spent 1/3rd of the money without consulting the membership i doubt the average member will get any say in this.

the other main thing that was changed was changing the rules so that members who don't pay their annual fees aren't ejected from the society. it seems to me that whether they do or don't won't have much effect on the society grand total anyway as the annual fee pays for your benefits which makes it a zero sum game.

i asked about the lack of communication from the new club board members since their election and they said they will try to give members an idea of what they are doing in their roles as directors going forward.

also graham barnstaple Martin Rose the 2nd is representing the club at the euro draw in nyon which is nice for him.

Amended. :whistling:

• Like 2

also graham barnstaple Martin Rose the 2nd is representing the club at the euro draw in nyon which is nice for him

Personally I'd vote for decorator to represent the club at the jolly draw in Nyon. Given he's represented the club at every European fixture EVER... and that includes Albania for those who didn't know. He's got pictorial evidence to prove it too :nod:

#GrimmyforNyon

• Like 1

I was looking for somebody in that position to say "naw yer alright"

Way too cosy

If Members aren't happy with the representation then let's propose a change and get some others nominated.

I'm not up to speed with all that is being said at the meetings (given that they still can't manage to set up access for non-locals to these things), but if people think our voice isn't being heard, then let's make it heard.

The difficulty with all these things is finding someone prepared (or able) to dedicate the time to execute the responsibilities. As a result, the same old faces turn up.

There are a few boys on here that would do a good / different job

Farcalf, Andy P, Brazilian, Jay, melvyn B, Frazzle etc (apologies to anyone I missed) would provide a more balanced fans view - but not everybody's got the time to devote

Aye, it's the time factor that is the issue for most. That's the problem - unless there is some way to split the load we are always going to end up with people who have nothing better to do.

I never see Barnstaple on here - it would be a good start if some of our views were being solicited. I know we don't represent the entire membership, but I think we have a pretty good cross section.

I think you're probably right (especially the part where you backed me for great chieftan o' the puddin' race) but I think it's probably natural that when the folk involved get the perks of the job, such as a jolly to Switzerland, then the rest of us are a bit jealous. I personally didn't put myself forward because I felt that the fans as a whole had become disillusioned with the Trust over a number of years and felt it would be better if the fans representatives didn't have any ties there so that they wouldn't be pre-judged. Obviously that theory hasn't really worked as GrahamB has been roundly slaughtered since he stepped in. On one level I can understand it, but on the other hand I think that since he's in the job we should give him a chance to prove he's up to the job. If he proves he isn't, then there is a diplomatic process that can have him removed, but the Society as a whole is suffering from the negative vibes that are surrounding his appointment and that's what is most disappointing as it is potentially a very important organisation in the future of our football club.

• Like 2

Slight problem with my being a representative, given I'm not even in the society...

But you two make a valid point regarding there being a wide range of views, some of whom won't feel represented. How the society gets round that is, I'm glad to say, not my problem...

I joined the society last year and I am glad I did as I could afford it and it is something the club I love asked me to consider to invest in the future. However before joining I was very sceptical that we had a big enough fanbase with the means to provide the Society with the money required to function. Sadly 17 months down the line nothing much has changed on that front. I hope the board of the society do have the skills, contacts and initiative to bring the money we require home but I have a deep underlying fear no matter how good a job they do the capital required just isn't there. I hope I'm proved wrong and I have no regrets in investing and I have no bones about the make up of the board I'm just concerned that the concept, whilst good in principal can only work where there is a bigger audience.

• Like 1