The Well Society

stuwell

No-one expects the great and powerful Wizard of Oz when you pull back the curtain of a football club boardroom. An old guy with a microphone would be fine, as long as he's financially prudent.

The problem is no-one was able to pull back the curtain in the Ibrox boardroom for years - David Murray and Craig Whyte pretended they were great and powerful and the reality was far different. They were overly powerful and far from great.

No-one bothered pulling back the curtain into the Dunfermline boardroom. Gavin Masterton was the majority shareholder and he was treasurer and managing director of the Bank of Scotland. If you can run a bank, you can run a football club, right? True. Unfortunately, if you can run a bank into the ground, then there is a good chance you will run a football club into the ground. And so it proved.

No-one was able to pull back the curtain into Vladimir Romanov's personal financial empire. The regime at Hearts insisted there was no cause for concern because all their debt was owed to UBIG and Ukio Bankas. Now there is an administrator in charge at Ukio and today there is plenty of cause for concern after he told the fans their bid wasn't good enough. It might be okay though as Angelo Massone might be able to improve his bid....

You don't need to start reading financial spreadsheets and making decisions about who's running the pie stall to be a member of the Well Society. You can be as involved or as peripheral as you like. But it might help you relax and melt into your escapism at the football to know that there is some financial safeguard for your club's long-term future, and that people who love the club as much as you do who are either in charge or keeping those running the club in check. Leave it to Toto to pull back the curtain.

More than 6,000 Hearts fans have signed up to a scheme that means they pay an average of £250 A YEAR to part-own their club. We need less fans than that to pay a similar amount on a ONE-OFF basis to majority-own our club.

It only has no chance of working if we don't make it work.

Otherwise we leave ourselves open to a Wizard of Oz-style autocratic rule. And we might not get close enough to pull back the curtain again.

• Like 4

I have huge respect for those who do care enough about something to want to pump money into it. However blunt this might sound though, if the club did go out of business...i'd just do something else. For me, it's only football...and purely personally, im not interested in it being more.

No-one was able to pull back the curtain into Vladimir Romanov's personal financial empire.

Whilst I agree with the rest of your post the comparison with Hearts doesn't stand up. They already had someone who wanted to lead them down a prudent path to financial stability - albeit one which involved selling their stadium and move elsewhere. Instead they replaced the man behind the curtain for some foreign nomad who they hadn't heard of but who promised them the world. The situation at Hearts is a lot more than Romanov's fault - all the Hearts fans who welcomed this madman and forced Chris Robinson to stand aside have to take a share of the blame but they are all to busy keeping a low profile these days (has anyone seen George Foulkes near Tynecastle).

I have huge respect for those who do care enough about something to want to pump money into it. However blunt this might sound though, if the club did go out of business...i'd just do something else. For me, it's only football...and purely personally, im not interested in it being more.

Yet you have over 1,500 posts on this forum spending countless hours posting and probably even more reading - without MFC you'd have a more than just 90 mins a week to find other things to do. Do you discuss topics such as who we sign or who we sell? If so then you are interested in more than just turning up and watching football for 90 mins.

Nothing wrong with being blunt Al, just felt the need to attempt to counter your articulate rationale for not joining, in case it caught on. I hope your declaration is never put to the test!

Just think though, if you have a season ticket for another 15 years, then a Well Society membership is the equivalent to a £20 surcharge each season, which could save you the hassle of trying to find another hobby that you enjoy as much as this one..... (how's that for a last desperate attempt?!)

Dodge, I take your point about Hearts fans and the likes of Foulkes (he still says plenty about Hearts!) being culpable for welcoming Romanov in. I'm sure they would think differently with hindsight today though. But the average supporter got little meaningful say in the matter other than to campaign against Robinson.

And Robinson's plan to sell Tynecastle and pay rent at Murrayfied was far more desperate than prudent - he was the main part of the regime that led the club further into debt to the tune of £20million. Running up huge debts, selling your house and then renting a much bigger one is not prudent.

The point I was trying to make is that Hearts fans were never in control. Now they are spending a fortune trying to clear the club's debts, plug a funding gap and trying to get control. That's just over six months after saving the club, but also the flawed regime, by buying £1.1million of completely worthless shares in order to pay off tax debts.

We have been offered the chance to get guaranteed control of Motherwell by paying the exact same amount that Hearts fans raised in a few weeks.

I know they are a much bigger club but I'm sure Hearts fans would jump at that chance having been through and still going through what they are, however naive they were a few years ago.

Never joined the well society and at the moment have no plans to do so. Between my season ticket (POD), food and drink on match days, shop purchases etc i am probably contributing approx £600 a year to the club, and lots of others do the same and consider it a big enough investment. As it stands i am not convinced of the merits of the WS. But that may change in the future.

Main Point - Fantastic posts from both Al B and maddog here.

Side Point - I don't have the money to invest at the moment, and to be honest, I'd have to have a very decent amount of disposable income to invest in the Well Society, much as I like the idea in both principle and theory.

Although, a thought just occurred to me which may suggest how the Well Society sits in my mind, on rereading that.

I don't consider a Season Ticket as a job for disposable income, so much as necessary and expected expenditure each year, whereas the Well Society clearly, in my head, occupies a far less important place, as I, in my eyes, would be getting no real tangible use from it, whereas with the ST, I'm paying up front for a service, in this case live games.

Not to demean the excellent packages offered, but that's how I view it at the moment.

Yet you have over 1,500 posts on this forum spending countless hours posting and probably even more reading - without MFC you'd have a more than just 90 mins a week to find other things to do. Do you discuss topics such as who we sign or who we sell? If so then you are interested in more than just turning up and watching football for 90 mins.

Well, those things relate to what I actually watch on the park so yes...I do. Football is a big interest of mine, and Motherwell FC are my favourite club within that sport, but as i've said it starts and stops with the football. Also 1500 posts in almost 5 years is hardly impressive posting figures.

I'd compare it to a favourite band. I buy their albums, I listen to them, discuss them, maybe even go and see them if they are playing a show...but if they split up or stopped putting music out because they couldn't afford to do it anymore, then that would be that, that's not my responsibility. Im a consumer/customer and as long as they are putting out a product I like then i'll pay for it.

Just to clarify, i'm not saying I don't understand people who live and breathe their football club, and would do anything within their power to help sustain it. of course I do.... I'm just not one of them. It's only a game. I'd also point out that my stance on it's importance has changed over the years, and may well do again, who knows. But for now, that's the way I see it.

It's a very similar view to that of a 10 year old...they can still be passionate about their team, but have no concept of or interest in, anything that goes on away from matchday.

1375129010[/url]' post='391161']

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Hopefully the well society is a long term thing for the club so if you can stick £15 a month away you would have the membership fee in 20 months. I know, hard to do if you just don't have that spare a month.

I think a big problem is getting folk to see the well society as the club and the club as the well society. You put your money into the well society, your putting your money into the club. You put your money into the club then the club will be less reliant on hand outs from the well society. The main thing is our club benefits either way.

Were the DVDs sent out to everyone or just certain levels of membership? I thought all members were due to get it.

Had to collect it from the office

yip as fatcalf say the communication mentioned that it was requested that you pick it up at the club to save the society money.

plenty of people requested it be sent out and as far as I know they did send them to those that asked..

maybe you should email allison or the society

The first ever Well Society Goal of the Season DVD is now available for all members.

The DVD celebrates a remarkable season which saw us net a grand total of 69 League and Cup goals, with Michael Higdon ending up top scorer with 27 goals, which earned him the honour of being SPFA Player of the Year and winning the SPL Golden Boot award.

The season also saw us finish second for the first time since 1994/95 under Alex McLeish, this time with a record SPL points tally of 63 points.

The DVD includes the following;

An introduction from Manager Stuart McCall

ALL 69 goals scored last season

Saves of the season

To try and save money on postage costs, if would be helpful if members could collect the DVD from the Ticket Office over the next few weeks. However, if you do not live locally, we can arrange to send it to you. We appreciate your help as this will save money directly from the 'Well Society funds.

• 1 month later...

Lasley on the Well Society, from Evening Times

The Steelmen skipper is a backer of plans put forward by the Well Society that aims to raise £1.5million to allow supporters to have a say in how the club is run.

Less than a third of the cash needed has been raised so far, however, with the group keen to bring their proposals back to the fore and get more punters involved.

And Lasley is sure fan ownership is the way forward as clubs continue to struggle financially.

He said: "We are all in it together. We are trying to help the fans by entertaining them, the fans are trying to help us by giving us that extra yard.

"The Well Society adds another layer. You really are in it together because you have a part of the club and a share in the company. That can only help bring everyone together.

"Motherwell have done really well in recent years and I think one of the big plus points for the club as a whole is how close-knit it is between the players and the fans and the people from the boardroom all the way down.

"New players who come to the club find it easy to settle in because there is a real good feeling within the club.

"The Well Society can bring everybody together and that can only be a good thing for the team.

"I'm involved in the Well Society, my kids are involved in it, and I think the model is the way forward for Scottish football.

"When you see the troubles at other clubs at the moment, the idea of fan ownership is a positive one.

"The club is for the people of Motherwell and if they can have a say in how it's run, then that can only be healthy for the club and the community as a whole.

"You see in Germany how the model can certainly work at big clubs and hopefully it can work here at Motherwell as well.

"Everyone that is involved in it obviously has a feeling for the club and that's the kind of people you want involved in running the club."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

any news about an AGM?

Tonight at 7pm in the Cooper suite

Annual General Meeting

THE WELL SOCIETY LIMITED

Registered under the Industrial and Provident Act 1965, Registration Number 2748RS

Dear XXXX

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of The Well Society Limited will be held in the Cooper Suite, Davie Cooper Stand, Fir Park Stadium, Motherwell on Monday 9th December at 7pm

ORDINARY BUSINESS

1. To receive audited accounts of the Well Society and the Directors and Auditors reports thereon for the period 25 October 2011 to 30 September 2012

2. Chairman’s report

3. Any other competent business

4. Vote of thanks

By order of the Board of Directors,

Did anyone go to the AGM?

numbers/accounts for last year presented

and off the record non-audited numbers for this year presented

Extensive list of what has been done in the year since Society board was elected

and a review of what the situation at present is,

and then an option to change the payments terms of membership recommended

then agreement to reconsider a third option over a time limited period

before the board then discussing the options with the wider membership, to choose path forward.

my own opinion now:

its clear that far too many of our support do not realise the critical situation at our club moving forward