Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Cup Game Discussion Thread

David

Poor performance today. Looked as if the linesman let the referee decide on the corner despite the fact that he had a perfect view himself. Doesn't excuse the poor defending at the first goal though and even worse at the second. Poor penalty from Higdon, he put it to the same side as his 2 against Hibs at a good height for the keeper. Thought we could have had a second penalty when Clancy was dragged down at the back post as well. Only a couple of players get pass marks.

Lets hope for a big improvement next week.

• Like 1

Aberdeen ran right over the top of us today. Jennings & Lasley against there three players was a miss match. As a result the defence was left exposed time after time. Mind you the marking for the first goal was school boy stuff.

Once they got the corner that never was and goal, and our missed penalty, there was never any doubt we would lose today.

It's hard to be to critical given the season we've had, but Lasley was a disgrace, Hateley needs to practice his set pieces, as they are a joke. Murphy, why is he playing on the left given he was doing better on the right? Anyhow, that lad is going nowhere fast.

Long ball against aberdeen is a fecking joke, and funny enough our goal came about when we worked it down the flank and got a decent cross in. Time humph was in from the start instead of murphy.

It now seems when it matters most our players dont have even an ounce of bottle. Mind you should not be surpised given they are with us, but thats two none appearances in the cup when it matters.

Celtic are going to waltz the treble, same although we've lost good income, for me i am glad i dont have to stomach another inept performance against them.

• Like 1

Too little too late.

To be honest I thought we were pish for almost all of the match and it was more Aberdeen coming down to our level than us going up a few gears.

Say what you like about the corner decision it still had to be defended and we didn't do that. Losing a goal in 3 minutes says it all really. Aberdeen came out better prepared and much sharper and even after a few minutes it was hardly a surprise when they scored. It was one of those days when the defence was all over the place and we looked disjointed all over the park.

The penalty should have been a way back in but it was a disappointing effort, same side as his last two and an easy height for the keeper to save.

As for the sending off, I've not seen TV replays but it looked a 50/50 tackle from the stand. I heard Fyvies leg was broken and I see some criticism of Lasley on the board so perhaps it was worse than it looked in real time. Good luck to Fraser Fyvie and I hope he recovers quickly, he played well today.

It was also disappointing to see the return of Law on the right and Murphy on the left when they have shown lately that they work better on the opposite sides and Brown's 4-2-3-1, a change from their last visit, demanded tactical flexability from our manager which he didn't really respond to until it was too late. I'm afraid with the extra man and Lasley off form and then sent off they controlled midfield for most of the match.

Our goal sparked a revival but it was still pretty scrappy stuff from us and although we could have nicked a late goal we didn't really show the quality in the final third.

We'll need to do better next week if we want to stay on course for Champions League football and I'm guessing Lasley will have quite a hefty suspension coming up.

Celtic are going to waltz the treble, same although we've lost good income, for me i am glad i dont have to stomach another inept performance against them.

Perhaps the one 'positive' you can take from today, that we don't have to suffer another Hampden mauling from Celtic.

Stinking performance ,terribly naive tactics. Certainly weren't helped by Craigan/Hutchison injuries, nor the decision for the corner. However, we played completely into their hands with the long ball shite and poor discipline throughout.

Better prepared team won.

Lasley, Hutchison, Clancy all suspended for next week, Craigan possibly injured. Some challenge...

Yup, Lasleys tackle was right infront of me and was a defo red card. Horrible tackle.

The decision for the first goal was absolutely disgraceful ref'ing. Thompson really is a buffon.

We really cant have too many complaints about the result tho, we were awful and at best probably only deserved a draw. Losing Hutch so early wasnt great either as I thought Page was culpable for the 2nd goal, gave that big numpty Fallon to much space and time. Higdon should have mixed his pens up as that was perfect for a keeper to save and he was shaping up to hit it there from the get go.

I'm disappointed the sub didnt happen much sooner and I was shouting for Las to be taken off as I though he was having a really poor game. Tackled his own players on more that one occasion and had that reckless look about him. Humph should have come on with Jenno and Law in the middle. Thats how I would start this weekend in a perfect chance to get over this result.

Putting myself through the pain again by watching the SKY+ of the game. That was never a corner linesman has a great view of it, plus considine is fouling Clancy as he sets up that scorer. Hate the standard of our officials. Even so the performance wasn't that good today, thought the players would have been well up for this after the 3 visits to Hampden last year.

It now seems when it matters most our players dont have even an ounce of bottle.

Think that's really unfair. Dundee Utd cup game last year, Hearts & St Jonhstone games recently, all huge, and won them all. Don't think bottle played a part today, more tactics.

The decision for the first goal was absolutely disgraceful ref'ing. Thompson really is a buffon.

Agreed it was a fucking atrocious decision, but it's the linesman at fault, not the ref IMO. One of the replays you can clearly see that the linesman shouts "corner!" into his mouthpiece (which I'm fairly certain goes to the ref's ear) and sticks the flag down. How he can't make the right call from 5 yards away is beyond me.

I'm gutted we lost but I thought the game was quite entertaining overall. I like big Higdon but I thought he had a bit of a shocker today. As for Tim Clancy, I thought he was absolutely awesome. First time I've seen him proper and IMO he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Hope for a big improvement next week!

We have a genuine claim for that corner that resulted in a goal, and I'm glad to see McCall didn't let it go.

Saying that, we were beaten by the better team today. An off day, but it happens.

Onwards & upwards. The most important thing is cementing third place in the SPL, and a win next Saturday will go a long way to doing just that.

When i got to the car, radio were saying we were really good second half. Not from my vantage point. Yes, we were better than aberdeen (in 2nd half) but nothing like we can be. Everything was going straight through the middle even when humph came on. Not good enough.

As siebsbarmyarmy says, lasleys foul was right infront of me too. Absolute shocker. To be fair to keith, he was calling for the aberdeen physio before the ref even blew, he knew he rattled the boy& it was a deserved red. The scarey thing is that if someone does that to ojamma, we are royally fucked!

Sending off, penalty miss, three goals, end to end at times.....but what a poor game. Could be seen as sour grapes due to the fact we got beat but some of the football, especially in the first half, from both teams was woeful. I lost count over how many times a player's first touch resulted in a sprint for a 50/50 ball.

Aberdeen, are not a great side but Broon has done well to have them unbeaten in 2012. They have drawn the majority but I'm sure they don't mind as they are at Hampden in April against Hibs. Perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth. They were the better side in the second half but their bottle crashed when we scored. Ojamaa looked dangerous again but I have to say I thought Higdon was dreadful today. Not shy at handing out criticism to his team mates but it was a very bad day for him. Murphy was pretty invisible today as well. Randolph kept us in it when it should have been all over.

Nothing worse than a pretty full away stand over celebrating a win. Certainly helps with the atmosphere but is a sore one to watch/listen to. It was their first win over us in 39 MONTHS and a trip to the National Stadium was maybe too much to handle.

Whilst we have grossly over achieved in the league this season both Cup competitions have been a big disapointment. Losing to Hibs and Aberdeen at home were very good chances to progress and for the Club to make some money. To think one of them will be in the Scottish Cup Final in May as well.

As siebsbarmyarmy says, lasleys foul was right infront of me too. Absolute shocker. To be fair to keith, he was calling for the aberdeen physio before the ref even blew, he knew he rattled the boy& it was a deserved red. The scarey thing is that if someone does that to ojamma, we are royally fucked!

Am I the only one who thinks Ojaama is vastly overrated?

Am I the only one who thinks Ojaama is vastly overrated?

For our league I don't think he is. He looked the most likely player to create something for us today. If we lose him to injury or suspension I think the team will suffer.