Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

We played a Kilmarnock team that didn't play all that well (no where near as good as they were last week) and we were lucky to come second in that game. We weren't far away in the first half and a wee good ball here and there could have created the chance we needed but it didn't quite happen. Certainly when we went in at half time I would have considered us very likely not to lose. But the second half performance was inept. It's dead easy to sit and say Page and Cummins should have played but Hutchinson didn't start being all over the place until we were already down and pushing up. The first goal came because Hateley was out of position; the second because of a poor ball by Jennings that played us into bother and Hateley had no need to have his hands up. Our problem was getting our forward players into the game for the most part. Humprhey did all right but the front two couldn't get involved and I don't know if it is something to do with Lasley not being there and a perceived need to protect Carswell but Law has been deeper last two games. That was as poor as we have been since Christmas Eve and the trick is to bounce back next week. Hibs game got a whole lot tougher with Jennings and Hammell out.

Whatever happened between Hateley's family and the fans should have been kept off Twitter - naive from Hateley - bad press like that is jumped on by the press and it takes the gleam off a day when all the press our fans were getting was top notch.

He's a FAR better RB than a Midfielder. I rate him at the back. Never a Midfielder in a million years.

He may be better there but he's not a RB, says more about his ability in midfield tbh. Bit of a luxury player and does a job standing in for Saunders but he wouldn't be my first choice there with Bambi fit.

He did well as a deep lying midfielder under Gannon. But like Forbes he's not suited to a 4 man midfield.

He did but he was still more of a defender than a creative/playmaking/attacking midfielder. At the back is where his career is. Any other ideas and I don't think he will go much higher.

He may be better there but he's not a RB, says more about his ability in midfield tbh. Bit of a luxury player and does a job standing in for Saunders but he wouldn't be my first choice there with Bambi fit.

For somebody that isn't a RB he has kept that position for an awfy long time during one of our most successful periods AND kept Saunders out of the team.

Apps: 36

Goals: 4

Assists: 8

Cleansheets: 16

Boo Hateley, you're shite etc. <_>

No surprise him Higdon etc. are getting the abuse.

Yet Golden boy Hutchinson was pish in a mistake ridden performance from him but we'll brush over that*. He's the Geordie Baresi. :rolleyes:

*Ducks for cover for daring to criticise 'Big Hutch',

• Like 3

It's never good to hear supporters arguing with players family members, thats embarrassing!! However Mr Hateley deserves a bit of stick this season as he does not merit the status of "automatic choice" as he always seems to be!! In my opinion he's actually a very poor defender.

Going back to the argument thing, i think its a terrible idea that the Players and Players families have to sit with the away supporters as there's always going to be drunk fu*kwits spouting p*sh!! Surely they can get a few tickets allocated for the Main stand!! I remember Andy Roddie and his burd suffering a 90 min verbal assault at Ibrox when he was sitting amongst us, quite a number of our fans even apologised to him after the game, totally humiliating!!

So who said they were drunk ???

For some reason I'm strangely confident about this one. Killie will be in party mood as they parade the League Cup but they might be due to get brought back down a peg or two, so fancy us to spoil their party with a 3-1 win.

See you ya bam, get back to doing whit you do best :nod:

• Like 1

Agree with Tweed. First half was pretty even, a break of the ball either way could have seen one side up at HT. Second half we made individual mistakes that were punished unfortunately. We struggled going forward, although I thought Hump was one of the few that actually turned up today. I have defended Higdon all season when others have got on his back but he was dire today and has been for the last 2 or 3 games, if he can't win his fair share physical battles then not sure he should be in the team! Bad day, ref terrible, other results not in our favour, however keep the faith, we're still well clear in 3rd and we'd all have grabbed that at the start of the season or even at the turn of year. Bad news if Tom's family got grief today, some fans need to get a grip, however again I agree with Tweed twitter aint the place and McCall should be telling him that on Monday morning.

For somebody that isn't a RB he has kept that position for an awfy long time during one of our most successful periods AND kept Saunders out of the team.

Yes he has but it doesn't change my assessment of him, he's not a natural defender and that shows at times. He's done well filling in there but IMO Saunders is a better right back but McCall might not agree, then again he might fancy sticking Tam further forward when Saunders becomes available again.

Tom Hateley @TomHateley6Following To hear that my family were arguing with a few fans today isn't on..if you have something to say to me wait after the game and say it...

FFS, what is it about some of our support???????

I think that incident happened a few seats along from me. Perhaps the most disturbing thing about the incident I saw was the fact that on my row was an older guy being held back by a younger guy, trying to get at someone three rows in front. The seats in between were occupied by three or four kids who looked no older than 12.

Poor fucking show to be honest. No need for it, regardless of how badly Hateley was playing.

Yes he has but it doesn't change my assessment of him, he's not a natural defender and that shows at times. He's done well filling in there but IMO Saunders is a better right back but McCall might not agree, then again he might fancy sticking Tam further forward when Saunders becomes available again.

McCall and I both then.

Poor second half performance but I felt we suffered from a very poor display from the referee. He lost control late in the first half and we had 2 mystery corners given against us in quick succesion, a failure to give a free kick for a trip on Jennings which resulted in a booking for our captain, Stevie Hammell.

He came out in the 2nd half a proceeded to give every 50 / 50 decision against us and turned the game for Killie, who were not playing well. If he gives a penalty for deliberate hand ball, why no action against the culprit??.

Very poor performance.

Agree about referee - he gave one corner that was baffling. There was another one where it looked like it was ours but I was sure I heard it make contact twice so he maybe got that one right. That foul against Jennings was unbelievable. He also booked Jennings for getting halfed though I have no idea why. The worst of all was when the handball was given on the shout of the Killie fans. Easily swayed and generally no very good. No complaints about the penalty at all. I think not booking him was right as although his hand was in an unnatural position which gives him scope to class it as deliberate I don't think it DOGSO as it was a tame effort or was play changing enough to merit a yellow. The yellows for Hammell and Jennings you can't comment on as we have no idea what was said but the other four (two each) were a nonsense. There were some hard tackles but they were all attempts to play the ball, none was reckless and I would bet that not one of them would get booked in the Old FIrm for them today. Sometimes you need to caution for challenges like that to calm the game down but not that game as it was played in a real good spirit. It was refereeing with your card rather than your brain. One of the poorest of the season and all the 50-50s went their way. And I've just remembered the foul he gave us at the left back position when Hammell had played a pass to create a 2v2 in the first half. Thanks sir. Really helpful.

Would agree with that FC. Tom Hateley isn't a natural defender or wing back and it does show. Even on the overlap he struggles to beat his man. That said he's filled in during a crisis and done a job. Defence wise Steven Saunders does offer more and I'd like to see him reach the first team again before the end of the season. .