Motherwell Open Contract Talks With Steven Jennings

Browni

Manager Stuart McCall hopes the prospect of European football next term will convince him to stay at Fir Park.

Motherwell have opened discussions with Steven Jennings over a new contract with the club.

The midfielder's current deal expires at the end of the season and a number of clubs in the English Championship have been keeping tabs on the 27-year-old.

Speaking on Friday, Well boss Stuart McCall said Jennings was one of "six or seven" of players talks have opened with to tie down on new deals.

With Motherwell in pole position to qualify for next season's Champions League, the manager has told STV he hopes the opportunity to play in European football's top competition will help convince him to remain at Fir Park.

Signed from Tranmere Rovers in 2009, Jennings has made 98 appearances for Well, scoring three times.

He has been a virtual ever-present in central midfield in 2011/12, playing in 30 of Motherwell's 39 games.

From http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/motherwell/301429-motherwell-open-contract-talks-with-steven-jennings/

Glad to see that Motherwell are working on retaining players. Don't want to see any of them going for free and be good to have the same ( or similar ) squad as I think, this season, we have been reaping the beneifits of the continuity of our squad. Playing together longer can only make us a better team for next season.

I reckon he'll sign. A move to the English Championship will still be there at the end of next season.

Once our European run comes to an end he can sign a pre-contract in January if he wants.

Exactly David. Wordsmith the contracts so that the players have the flexibility to move on if a decent offer comes in..........at the right time.

And for the right money to the club whistling.gif

If he resigns I don't see us getting a fee for him. It'll most likely be a deal until the end of next season, meaning he'll be free to speak to clubs and sign a pre-contract in January.

Considering he can walk away for nothing in a few months time as things stand, I'd say that having him for another year is the best we can hope for.

No reason why we couldn't get him on a two year deal. Would certainly benefit Player (wee wage rise and he seems happy and settled) and Club (option to sell next Summer).

I'd be over the moon if we managed to get him signed up beyond the end of next season.

As far as I know the contracts expire as below.

Summer 2012 - Hollis, Bradley, Saunders, Hammell, Craigan, Page, Clancy, McKinnon, Lasley, Forbes, Jennings, Pollock.

Summer 2013 - Randolph, Hateley, Humphrey, McHugh, Higdon, Murphy

Summer 2014 - Hutchinson

? - Halsman, Devlin, Carswell, Smith.