Spl Opener - Ross County V Motherwell

Rickoza

You are lucky you weren't there mate .......................... honestly, it was dire :nod:

So it was dire and we kept a clean sheet and got a point.

History shows that the newly promoted teams usually get at least a point in their first home game, and that teams in the middle of a Euro tie often struggle.

That, plus the fact we missed a few key pre-season games, means a win today was optimistic rather than likely. If you can't win, then take your point, go home and get ready for the next one.

plenty of people forgetting that we busted a gut during the week against much harder opponents and its only our 2nd competitive game of the season. We didn't loose to a team who would have been up for this game more than any other they've played in recent times.

Decent result.

On to next week an Qualification.

notworthy.gif

Glad to see nobody is overreacting to our first away point of the season.

Two sperate things. A point isn't a bad result at all....but that was one of the most boring games I have been to. I have been to friendlies with more action/incidents. Terrible game.

What a frustrating game today, at times we lacked energy and appetite and seemed like a team that had never played together.

Other times looked sharp and hungry, I think SmcC needs to have a word with Murphy either play him as a winger in which case STOP CUTTING INSIDE, or play him through the middle.

Still shot shy and another season where we really could use an out and out goal scorer.(Isn't every season)

ETA Alan Muir (The Ref) had a fucking howler penalized us for everything and gave us the square root of fuck all!

Edited by East_Stand_Al

I'm a wee bit surprised at some of the reactions already posted. I'll grant you it was by no means a classic but I'm not sure I would class it quite as bad as some have.

I suppose when all's said and done disappointing though it was not to win, you revert to the old mantra that avoiding defeat on the road in the SPL is never a bad thing. How good or bad a result it was is perhaps only going to become clear later in the season when we see how County fare in general and how other sides of our ilk get on up there.

As has already been said there were a few factors to make the game additionally awkward with it being their flag day and us on the back of a European game but I thought we bossed much of the game. We seriously lacked a cutting edge and creativity in the final third of the park though and that's something we can hopefully remedy as time goes on.

Reasonable start on the face of it. Could have been better, could have been worse and we'll see how we go.

Thought it was more an in and out sort of performance than a bad one. We did retain the ball well for long spells but we did seem a bit overly keen to fart about with it round the penalty area rather than get it in there. Though to be fair they defended well, Fitzpatrick did a super job on Humphrey who very rarely got by him. At the back we defended well though Hutchinson gave away an incredible number of fouls, maybe the odd one was harsh but no complaint with most of them and that was where they were at their best, whipping in dead balls. However fans like action, excitement, tackles and to be blunt apart from a few sporadic moments that had none of them though I suppose I can see through it with the possession, shape and confidence of our team (except in their area). But had I been a neutral I'd have been off to watch the cross gender canoe slalom elephant polo from the Olympics on the big screen in the boozer. And I'd have got my car out the car park before the end too.....

Very frustrating game. Very good team performance, just pish decision making. One or two occasions, a shot on target would have eluded that goon Fraser and a very pretty looking goal would have came from it. Felt Daley had to only clear cut chance to score from taking on a defender, but sclaffed it. Ramsden seemed keen, shooting from distance, narrowly wide. Apart from these moments, we weren't up to full power.

Still hate tokely.

And the fans coming together, in unison, behind Fraser in the second half made it somewhat entertaining.

Onwards and upwards! thumbup.gif

(p.s. the ref gave high foot against Las again....)

Great day, finally in ma scratcher. First of all a big thank you to Scott at the EoS and Dave at the Fife and Tayside for organising the bus and tickets today. Game wasn't great but thoroughly enjoyed it none the less. An absolute belter of a journey down the road, thanks in no small part to Stuart, Tam, Keef and Ian, with special thanks to a minging blocked toilet on the bus!! Special AKA, good chats at half time, yes, I know what you mean! Finally, everybody relax, it's Motherwell

• Like 1

ross county are decent at the back but the worst team i've ever seen in the spl on the ball. they made gretna look good.

we were absolutely toothless. higdon and humphrey were as bad as usual and even although omar could be a player he is either too thick or too lazy to be any use. henrik on from the start might have made a difference, mccalll giving him 15 mins up front then moving him to the left wing made no sense.

we miss jenno, we need a centre forward and a centre mid.

• Like 1

Not the most riveting game I've ever attended but thats another new ground visited. We secured an away point in very difficult circumstances and thats about it. The team lacked creativity and simply couldn't match Ross County's amazing work rate. Certainly they made it very difficult for us and showed us a lot of respect. At set pieces their height was a real threat but fortunately we managed to hold them out. The central midfield just isn't right in that it failed to compete at times and did not support Michael Higdon. In general he suffered from lack of support.

Maybe I'm in a minority of one here but I don't think Jamie Murphy is firing on all cylinders - his roving midfield role just isn't working and is baffling his colleagues. As with last Tuesday he promised a lot but failed to deliver. After doing the hard bit he failed to take the last defender on as we all know he can do. Is it lack of confidence or a fear that he may lose the ball?

Hopefully the TV agreement will allow us to sign another combative midfielder.

Anyway it was a great day out in good company. Ross County treated us well.

1344123148[/url]' post='354093']

Great day, finally in ma scratcher. First of all a big thank you to Scott at the EoS and Dave at the Fife and Tayside for organising the bus and tickets today. Game wasn't great but thoroughly enjoyed it none the less. An absolute belter of a journey down the road, thanks in no small part to Stuart, Tam, Keef and Ian, with special thanks to a minging blocked toilet on the bus!! Special AKA, good chats at half time, yes, I know what you mean! Finally, everybody relax, it's Motherwell

Would like to second the thankings to Scott and Dave. Also at the back of the bus, that bog wasn't too bad whistling.gif

Maybe I'm in a minority of one here but I don't think Jamie Murphy is firing on all cylinders - his roving midfield role just isn't working and is baffling his colleagues. As with last Tuesday he promised a lot but failed to deliver. After doing the hard bit he failed to take the last defender on as we all know he can do. Is it lack of confidence or a fear that he may lose the ball?

You're at least in a minority of two...but the one thing is he is doing enough that teams can't afford to double up on Humphrey because he is providing enough of a threat elsewhere which in time may give Humphrey more wriggle room to create more. Unfortunately Humphrey wasn't quite on it yesterday, partly due to Marc Fitzpatrick playing well up against him and I suspect partly because he wasn't just 100% fit judging by McCall's post match.

Awful game but a good day out. What authority does Jim Frame have over the buses? We came out of the ground at the end of the game and he was there telling our driver he had been "instructed by the club" to inspect our bus. The driver told him to piss off at which point he was over moaning to the police that we were up to no good and had booze stashed on the bus. The police did their search and found nothing (surprise surprise) but what is his problem with us? Could it be because even though our bus which didnt qualify for free travel was full at £13 a head while his "free" bus (still charged punters £5 apparently) was half empty?

Absolute joke, we're all meant to be Motherwell fans and "in it together" as it were, what is he hoping to achieve?

• Like 5