Game Today

henry

Game ended 0-0 and it was a poor game.

Was poor, but last 10 minutes or so got really towsy.

Shocking foul by Bathgate's no 10 has left Murray with a possible fractured foot.

Maybe explains his reaction.

Moore red carded for another bad tackle near the end kinda summed up the day.

Should say this was almost the first game the U/ 20's played and a couple of really young 'uns

came on.

Well done to all though given the pitch played like an ice rink and the game played at times in torrential rain.

Cracking new enclosure Bathgate have built so at least we were all dry.

Should say this was almost the first game the U/ 20's played and a couple of really young 'uns

came on.

Dont shoot the messenger but Im hearing a wee rumour that 3 people were interviewed for our U20's manager. Brian Reid and Willie McStay being 2 of them. But worrying, the job maybe going to Bobby Jenks, against McCalls and Gordon Youngs better judgement. Pressure from the board? Nothing against Bobby Jenks but he's a scout, not a coach or manager. Not the route i would like us to go down if true.

Dont shoot the messenger but Im hearing a wee rumour that 3 people were interviewed for our U20's manager. Brian Reid and Willie McStay being 2 of them. But worrying, the job maybe going to Bobby Jenks, against McCalls and Gordon Youngs better judgement. Pressure from the board? Nothing against Bobby Jenks but he's a scout, not a coach or manager. Not the route i would like us to go down if true.

At a time when development of youngsters is at a premium, why would the board go against the judgement of McCall and, in particular, Young?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure you are 100% with the names Reid is correct but the 2 others mentioned to me didn't include McStay.

Bottom line is it's an f'in shambles with 'nice old Bobby Jenks' doing his best.

There have been a couple of offers by 'proper' coaches to take the U/20s short term till a full time coach is appointed with no result.

I was accused last season of 'axe grinding' re the 'Well youths but here we are again at the start of a new term with no coach, no settled formation and no information prior to the new season kicking off.

By the way the 1st match V Dundee scheduled for Tuesday 7th August has been cancelled.

Because Bobby Jenks would take the job at his current salary which is significantly less than the £20k on offer

So the board is willing to risk the entire financial and footballing strategies of our club over a few thousand quid?

I still can't see it.

Truth is that our youth set up has been in steady decline since the departure of Chris McCart

Its been in decline since way before that.....since John Park left in fact. Chris McCart's success or otherwise will only be known in perhaps 2/3 years from now - so far his tenure isn't looking overly impressive.

Its been in decline since way before that.....since John Park left in fact. Chris McCart's success or otherwise will only be known in perhaps 2/3 years from now - so far his tenure isn't looking overly impressive.

Think you make fair point here but some products of his time are just starting to come through now;

Carswell, Erwin, Murray, Asghar, Leitch to name a few.

Interestingly the squad for the game V Ross C contained only 3 ,if you allow Hammell, who have 'come through the ranks' ;

Murphy and McHugh being the other 2.

Most of the remainder have been brought in from England.

Tin hat on, here goes. This discussion of who was in charge if/when our youth system "failed" is academic. Just how many have come through in say the last 15 years. McFadden. Clarkson, Murphy ?.

This I believe is the case across Scotland and possibly England too. I also believe there are many reasons for this situation. Number one is the raw talent again for varied rasons is not available.

I watch my grandson train with an u12 team consisting of work that it is almost a repetition of the warm up we see prior to Saturday match games. No ball work. The coaches spend a lot of their free time with the kids but have to ask how qualified are they. Is this type of coaching common across the board?. Is this the type of coaching applied at SFA camps?. I can remember when all teams could take young players from the "Juniors" and turn them into decent and often successfull Seniors.

Nowadays Junior teams consist mainly of overage failed seniors or those who will never make it. Anyone who watched the Wishaw game will know what I mean.

Tin hat on, here goes. This discussion of who was in charge if/when our youth system "failed" is academic. Just how many have come through in say the last 15 years. McFadden. Clarkson, Murphy ?.

This I believe is the case across Scotland and possibly England too. I also believe there are many reasons for this situation. Number one is the raw talent again for varied rasons is not available.

I watch my grandson train with an u12 team consisting of work that it is almost a repetition of the warm up we see prior to Saturday match games. No ball work. The coaches spend a lot of their free time with the kids but have to ask how qualified are they. Is this type of coaching common across the board?. Is this the type of coaching applied at SFA camps?. I can remember when all teams could take young players from the "Juniors" and turn them into decent and often successfull Seniors.

Nowadays Junior teams consist mainly of overage failed seniors or those who will never make it. Anyone who watched the Wishaw game will know what I mean.

A couple of points on this;

I coach an under 9s team and I would say 95% of our coaching is done with a ball at the kids feet, very, very rarily do we do anything that is intended to knacker them out. At that age there is no need, they're as fit as they going to be and in theory should be able to run all day. As you say, the coaches give up their time and do so (hopefully) with the best intentions, but I'd say that if the kids arent getting trained properly then they should be looking for a new team.

As for raw talent; it is most definitely there and in abundance as far as I can see, we have a cracking wee team but most teams do have some lads who are naturally good at football, its just a matter of scouts picking the right boys and coaches getting the best out of them

Don't know the names involved but heard a few walked away when told it only pays £20k per annum

Haven't heard a reason, but this theory is plausible.

I've got to say the simple solution was to leave GY as Head of Youth & U/20's coach and bring in a full time assistant.

I would imagine the wages wouldn't be a stumbling block in this scenario.