Aberdeen V Motherwell

Davie boy

Last week they mentioned it was the first time we had gone unbeaten throughout the opening 6 games since 1954. Don't know how many we strung together then, so I can't comment on whether the 7th today matches 54 or would go even further back.

From twitter

SPLstats SPLstats ‏@SPLstats

@browni You went 9 unbeaten at the start of 1956/57.

From twitter

SPLstats SPLstats ‏@SPLstats

@browni You went 9 unbeaten at the start of 1956/57.

according to the book 'well again' we played dundee on the 5th game of the season and lost 3-1. However according to this website http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/allg/motherwell1957.htm we played that game in april so spl stats appears to be right.

strangely enough it also says we beat celtic 1-0 the week before, which was september the 29th whistling.gif

Whilst I am absolutely gutted at not winning yesterday and was raging about throwing away two points in the manner we did, looking back at it now with a bit of perspective, it wasn't a 'bad' result in the sense that I would have taken a point before the game and it was at a difficult away venue. It's so frustrating though as we lead by two goals with less than ten minutes left on the clock to only come away with a point. However, we are still unbeaten and have made a very good start to the season, all things considered. I know we have played arguably the 'weaker' sides in the division, but in this league there isn't much between the sides, Celtic apart, and really anybody can get a result against anyone so it's impressive that we have remained undefeated and sit top of the table at this point.

We need to work on the defending though, as we are shipping far too many cheap goals especially from crosses into the box. That's been an issue with us for years now but we never seem to learn our lessons and make the same mistakes regularly. Needless to say that if we defend like that next week against Celtic then we will not just be beaten, we will be comprehensively beaten.

We need to work on the defending though, as we are shipping far too many cheap goals especially from crosses into the box. That's been an issue with us for years now but we never seem to learn our lessons and make the same mistakes regularly. Needless to say that if we defend like that next week against Celtic then we will not just be beaten, we will be comprehensively beaten.

There little doubt that our defenders have been responsible for a few of the goals we have lost recently. However I firmly believe that we are paying the price for not replacing Steve Jennings with a similar type of player. Someone who can get in the opposition's faces and break up attacks. If we can't defend cross balls in the box why let the opposition cross into our box in the first place? For all his faults, Jim Gannon rightly identified this as our achilles heel. Going back to the Levante game, I thought they defended excellently - we were not allowed to go anywhere near their penalty box and certainly not test their to test their keeper. We're doing well just now but if we want to improve then we have to bolster the midfield and learn to defend higher up the pitch.

I think it proves what a long way we've come in 10 years to be disappointed to come away from Shittodrie with only a point!!

However ...

We haven't kept a clean sheet since the opening day and I feel that we haven't replaced Jenno or Craggs. As a result, we're shipping some really soft goals. Physically big teams bully us.

I know he's past his best but I fear Bellshill's finest giving our defence a bit of a doing in midweek.

An amazing start to the season. Unbeaten, scored more goals than anyone else.

Yes of course we will lose goals this season, we have an 18 year old and a 21 year old as our central defence partnership, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Fucking delighted these young guys are coming in a doing so well.

Lets not forget we have signed one player in the summer and he has hardly played. This success is down to the young guys coming in and taking their chance.

Fucking delighted with where we are as a team right now.

I know we would have taken a point before the game but the way we lost the 2 was unprofessional, we should be seeing games like that out, ie keep the ball,bring on the subs, break the play up etc do what it takes to get the result. Thats 4 points we have lost this season already after 92 mins FFS, points that we should have, sitting at the top 5 points clear would be a lot better, and come the end of the season it could be the difference between a European place and nothing.

We are playing well, scoring a few goals but we need to get a bit more ruthless and kill games off, Aberdeens 3rd goal yesterday was an example of what not to do, last minute of injury time 3-2 up the ball should not be given away, especially not for a free kick that allowed Aberdeen to get the ball into the box quickly.

according to the book 'well again' we played dundee on the 5th game of the season and lost 3-1. However according to this website http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/allg/motherwell1957.htm we played that game in april so spl stats appears to be right.

strangely enough it also says we beat celtic 1-0 the week before, which was september the 29th whistling.gif

@splstats has got back to me. He also uses the Londonhearts site as a reference but also uses this http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/division-one-old/1956-1957/results/1956-10 which seems to confirm we did not play in the 5th scheduled week.

A cracking game yesterday obviously a tad gutted at our late collapse. Our central defence especially young Cummins was dodgy to say the least but hey a point away is ok and we're still top of the league and the celebration for Higgy's equaliser was hilarious as was watching several Dons fans getting held back by stewards. :laugh: . So lots to be happy about and we were the better team. Oh and the Drifters were fab at night too. :cheers: