2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Not for me one bit.

Sutton is not a bad player and at the moment would be the best forward we would have SIGNED up.

What is it with this McHugh big up? Not having a go as he has had little chance and still think at 21 he has a chance, however, you got to think why this is the case. He has been a full squad player for six years, no longer just a boy, under several mangers and only played 72 times, 29 this year and only six goals in 72 apperances. (do not know the assist total). This is in a Motherwell team who dont have a huge squad. Looks lively enough and more than willing to give him a chance, just wonder why lots on here are thinking he can come into the starting 11 and do a job?

6 goals in 72 appearances. How many of those appearances were 10 minutes or so at the end of a game? Say on average he gets 20 minutes every time he's on the field , that totals to 1440 minutes, or 16 full games. 6 goals in 16 games. Not Higdon-like scoring but not shabby either. Bear in mind that a lot of the time he's coming off the bench when things aren't going well, team aren't playing well so not an ideal situation to nab a goal. I'm convinced if you give the guy a run of starts, you'll get goals from him.

Having said that, I don't think he'll get a run of games. I was surprised that he was offered a new contract as I don't think McCall rates him that highly...

I think saying muchugh played 29 times last season and basing stats on that is harsh! I'd guess more than 20 of those were 15 minutes or less.

I do see the point, that he has perhaps been limited in opportunities as he is not quite the finished article though. If he was as good as some folk hope he can be, he'd be starting every week.

Why assume it's Sutton? Lee Miller is a (former) SPL striker who would be a familiar face. Might be him?

Scott Burns ran the story in the Express this morning that Sutton was the striker we were after. His track record isn't bad regards Motherwell...

Ok, so Gunnar Nielson's (mibee) coming back for Randolph, Sutton's (mibee) coming back for Higdon, Lasley, Hammy and Faddy have all come back. Who's next? Quinn coming back for Hateley? Slane for Humphrey? Bob Malcolm for Claret/Amber?

:popcorn:

Aye fuckin right then bad.gif

No way IMO Sutton was and is a useless lazy carthorse. Better to go for another unknown who can make a .ame for himself and us.

I wasn't Sutton's number one fan in his first spell at the club, but one think you can't accuse him of is being lazy. Infact, I'd go as far to say he was the complete opposite, probably to the detriment of his game.

• Like 1

Anyone in modern times that leaves Motherwell for another SPL side because they think the grass is greener is never welcome back IMO... Clancy and Sutton are two prime examples and for that wee wank Pearson, he refused to play for us again until he got his move to Celtic...

I wouldnt welcome any of them back to Fir Park and Ive never feared Sutton any of the times hes played against us. Hope we stick to the Lee Miller idea, that would work!

Not really getting all the grief Sutton seems to be getting here.

He finished his last season here on what? 17-18 goals? Most Motherwell fans at the time would have been delighted had he signed a new deal after the cup final. Fact. Aye he's had a torrid time at hearts under 4 managers, in the team one week, out the next. 10 minutes here, ten minutes there coupled with the odd start. Canny see it being like that if he came back here. He played his best football here under McCall and well McCall didn't do too bad at getting the best out of higdon as well did he? Not saying he would come in and score 30 goals nae bother, but I wouldn't bank on McCall not being able to get the best out him again.

• Like 2

When you consider how much we got and continue to get from players who have returned to the fold in the last decade from the likes of O'Donnell, Lasley, Hammell, Craigan and McFadden to name but five you are cutting your nose off to spite your face if your standards dictate you cannot countenance the return of someone like Sutton. I'm personally pretty happy our managers past and present haven't shared that thinking.

That aside a fair bit to ponder about his mooted return. He was a streaky player in terms of goals in his first spell but as has already been stated there were periods where he was out of favour and times where was almost playing on the left wing so all things considered I think he had a very healthy time with us.

Doubts? The Hearts spell hasn't been an isolated occurrence. There have been a few moves that haven't worked out for him. Could it be we were something of the right club at the right time for him and that time has now moved on?

All things considered I'd go for it. Players capable of getting double figures in the SPL on a free aren't to be sniffed at. McCall was clearly able to get the best from him in the few months they worked together and much will still remain familiar to him from his time beforehand meaning a speedier settling period. So as a potential replacement for Higgy if he goes, why not?

I also think because of signings a few years ago we are in danger of pinning too much hope on the perception there is a wealth of talent in England that we can tap into whenever we fancy. Seems to be becoming a bit of a staple response for some every time a 'known' player is linked to us not to ones liking. The budget we are operating with will reduce the pool of players in the English leagues within our means more and more each year.

• Like 5

I would be quite happy to see Sutton back actually. Would rather we kept Higdon though.

Would be good to get a decision one way or another on Higdon, McFadden and Hateley sooner rather than later also. I reckon they're all offski though and I suspect the club know this.

I think if Sutton could find the form he was in when he left fir park he'd be a great replacement for higdon!

I'm never happy when guys leave Motherwell for another spl club, but I can understand why they do it. The respect of guys on a Motherwell website arent going to put John suttons kids through uni, or pay his gas bill in 20 years time. Although hearts probably is a bad example given their record for paying!

• Like 1

I think if Sutton could find the form he was in when he left fir park he'd be a great replacement for higdon!

My concern with Sutton is that he only hit that form in his last few months because he was looking for a move and wanted to impress potential suitors.

However, if McCall has an idea of how he might fit into a rebuilt squad I'm willing to give him a chance.

My concern with Sutton is that he only hit that form in his last few months because he was looking for a move and wanted to impress potential suitors.

Or because McCall's style of football suited Sutton. Playing with pace and width and getting balls into the box, that's why Sutton thrived in much the same way Higdon has in my opinion. McCall builds his attack around the big man up front and makes him the focal point of the attack with the purpose of supplying him with chances.

He scored 12 goals in 25 games under McCall in his last spell, if he comes back I'd put money on him getting 15 plus goals again.

Or because McCall's style of football suited Sutton. Playing with pace and width and getting balls into the box, that's why Sutton thrived in much the same way Higdon has in my opinion. McCall builds his attack around the big man up front and makes him the focal point of the attack with the purpose of supplying him with chances.

He scored 12 goals in 25 games under McCall in his last spell, if he comes back I'd put money on him getting 15 plus goals again.

I'd also argue that he didn't regularly play up front until McCall arrived - after that he had a decent run.

Could be coincidence and that he was playing for a contract or move, but his best spell was definitely under McCall I think.

Totally agree with this. Craig Brown had Sutton playing left midfield on many an occasion, to fit his long diagonal ball tactic. In fairness, it worked well, and Sutton was able to nod the ball down for the likes of Blackman, Jutkiewicz etc, but didn't get the chance to get in at goals as much. McCall got the best of him when he came in, I reckon because he tailored our approach to bring Sutton into the game. It's no coincidence that he did something similar with Higdon, it's obviously the way he works.

Sutton's had a difficult couple of years at Hearts, for all the reasons outlined above. But ability doesn't just disappear, and he did very well for us when he was here, as well as putting in a power of work each and every game. If Higdon is leaving, and we can get Sutton without breaking the back, then I'd be more than happy to have him back.

When he left, people were saying of Higdon "he's no John Sutton". Funny to think that now people are saying the opposite.

Nothing like taking it too far...guys are only expressing their opinions.

So you and other saying you don't want him because he left us in the past? Do you not think that's a bit daft considering numerous players ahve returned to us in our recent past?

The only doubt over Sutton is what he done since he left us. That's fair game but he was far form shite or lazy when he left us and if he does return he wont be the only player in our team who has returned.