2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I agree, I think it is down to the market just now with so many free players but it still shouldn't stop us trying to bring in sellable assets. Just because the market at present is flat doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for the future by looking for these type of players rather than looking at guys who have no sell on value i.e Sutton.

My point, that I think I actually forgot to make laugh1.gif was: why can't we do both? We still have quite a few positions to fill, and as long as we can get a good mix of potential and proven, we should be looking good for both short and medium-longer term.

I'd suggest that both Vigurs and Lawson are a couple of players that we may look to make something on, should they work out.

No problem with John Sutton returning if Higdon goes. Sutton was a very good and consistent player for us.

Is it going to be now that a striker is 'crap' if he scores 10 - 15 goals a season?

Folk need to get it into their head that Higdon's tally last season was a once in a life time feat.

Absolutely spot on Ya Bezzer. Folk have short memories.dry.gif

I too am a bit surprised at some people's lack of enthusiasm for Sutton potentially returning. He bagged 43 goals in just 103 starts for us last time round, 12 in 25 under McCall. When you consider we currently have no proven goal scorers signed up for next season you'd think most fans would welcome back someone with a scoring record better than goal every three games during his first spell back with open arms.

Aye he's not the flashiest of players and he's a fairly limited footballer but he uses what he does have to good effect. He's worked with McCall before, he knows the club well and most important of all he knows how to put the ball into the back of the net.

Can only judge Sutton on what i have seen recently and that was when he was on loan to Australia. He was pretty much rank rotten & very rarely if ever played a whole game. Maybe he just wasn't interested but yeah he was pretty mince.

When he left, people were saying of Higdon "he's no John Sutton". Funny to think that now people are saying the opposite.

hahaha so true

If he returns and gets back to the way he was before he left us then i'd be more than happy to take him. I just don't think he will be able to get back to that level. Only my opinion though ;)

If Michael Higdon stays (which he wont IMO) then he wont get back to the level he got to this season (cos he wont, total one off - thats why its a post war record) - so by your logic, do you want Higdon to leave

As for sell on value, we do right well in that respect don't we? I'd be happy with Higdon remaining, happy if he left and Sutton was his replacement, in fact I'd be happy to be stood at my usual seat first weekend of Aug whoever the fuck McCall decides is worthy of that No.9 shirt.

you want a phone call dont you?!?! or have you passed on those addidas shooting boots to Evan?

God, no. Fans seem to have a real issue with us bringing former players back...

Nothing to do with old players (about a page back I said I'd love a return for John Sutton), just never really rated Clarkson...

Think Clarkson has another year left on his contract so that rules out a return to Motherwell ,just like Sutton though I would take him back no problems ,Clarky was a good football player if not a prolific goal scorer. Clarkson Faddy and Sutton up front (if Higdon leaves) would be decent. No?

Think Clarkson has another year left on his contract so that rules out a return to Motherwell ,just like Sutton though I would take him back no problems ,Clarky was a good football player if not a prolific goal scorer. Clarkson Faddy and Sutton up front (if Higdon leaves) would be decent. No?

14 goals in each of his last two seasons with us and a good few assists. That Clarkson anyone would be off their head not to want back.

Whether he still at that level or able to get back to it is another matter. At 27 though he should be in his prime and have years left.

Well worth a punt if fit and available.

it's worked well in the past. Hammell, Lasley, McFadden. Just ignore McClair though.

Not sold on Sutton coming back to be honest, but would take clarkson in a second. Doubt he would take the wage cut to come back though.

Not to mention Stephen Craigan or indeed Phil O'Donnell, who was crucial to our performances under McGhee.

:tumbleweed: Tumbleweed smiley sums it up really, everyone bored, waiting on some news regarding signings, debating whether we need new faces or old ones. To be fair, the two new signings so far are pretty good and I hope that the management are working like mad to get more in as soon as they can as I feel European preparations need to start with our squad in place and raring to go.
  • Like 1