2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

As for sell on value, we do right well in that respect don't we? I'd be happy with Higdon remaining, happy if he left and Sutton was his replacement, in fact I'd be happy to be stood at my usual seat first weekend of Aug whoever the fuck McCall decides is worthy of that No.9 shirt.

• Like 1

When he left, people were saying of Higdon "he's no John Sutton". Funny to think that now people are saying the opposite.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong a second time, I'd be amazed if anyone saw Higdon's transfer going the way it has. I thought he was the obvious choice to switch for Sutton, and was happy enough.

Anyone that says they knew Higdon would become our top post-war scorer and be voted POTY can feel free to PM me tonight's Euromillions numbers.

So you and other saying you don't want him because he left us in the past? Do you not think that's a bit daft considering numerous players ahve returned to us in our recent past?

The only doubt over Sutton is what he done since he left us. That's fair game but he was far form shite or lazy when he left us and if he does return he wont be the only player in our team who has returned.

Nope, only defending the guys right to have their opinion and so should you, just because theirs is different you don't have to go over the top saying maybe we should sell everyone who has come back. We all see things differently. Yep my opinion is we shouldn't take him back and should build for the future with players we could get a return on. As such I do not believe that the club would get a future sale on Sutton. At the end of the day we are a selling club and its the only thing we can do to survive by bringing players in we can sell on. Ojamma done that for us whilst more lucrative players moved under freedom of contract, as Sutton previously done. That is my reasons nothing to do with him being lazy or shite. I just think we should invest in players we can get a return on. yes.gif

Nope, only defending the guys right to have their opinion and so should you, just because theirs is different you don't have to go over the top saying maybe we should sell everyone who has come back. We all see things differently. Yep my opinion is we shouldn't take him back and should build for the future with players we could get a return on. As such I do not believe that the club would get a future sale on Sutton. At the end of the day we are a selling club and its the only thing we can do to survive by bringing players in we can sell on. Ojamma done that for us whilst more lucrative players moved under freedom of contract, as Sutton previously done. That is my reasons nothing to do with him being lazy or shite. I just think we should invest in players we can get a return on. yes.gif

Maybe McCall has scoured the market down south and he feels that the available options are no better that the youngsters we have a this club (eg. Craig Moore) and the money would be better spent on a bit of experience in the forward line that'll compliment said youth.

Ok, so Gunnar Nielson's (mibee) coming back for Randolph, Sutton's (mibee) coming back for Higdon, Lasley, Hammy and Faddy have all come back. Who's next? Quinn coming back for Hateley? Slane for Humphrey? Bob Malcolm for Claret/Amber?

:popcorn:

Craggs, Uncle Phil, Brian McClair...

Definitely a special club- I don't care what anyone says.

Maybe McCall has scoured the market down south and he feels that the available options are no better that the youngsters we have a this club (eg. Craig Moore) and the money would be better spent on a bit of experience in the forward line that'll compliment said youth.

lol..now thats just plain old guessing to support your argument. rolleyes.gif

No problem with John Sutton returning if Higdon goes. Sutton was a very good and consistent player for us.

Is it going to be now that a striker is 'crap' if he scores 10 - 15 goals a season?

Folk need to get it into their head that Higdon's tally last season was a once in a life time feat.

I would think John Sutton will get better offers from other clubs . Can't see him returning to firpark .

So he can’t get a gig/or wages with a poor Hearts side, what makes you think he wouldn’t jump at the chance to come back to us? At least he will get European football and paid on time.

I've never been Suttons greatest fan nor his biggest critic. To me he was not disciplined enough in the striker position.

I completely agree with Joe I felt he sometimes chased down far too many lost causes, which although Higdon was the polar opposite at times meant we quite often didnt lose our shape so easily. I also cant stand strikers that go down too easily and to me Sutton is more than culpable of hitting the deck at the slightest touch when he could easily play on.

Dont get me wrong he would be a decent enough player to have at the club as he undoubtedly can hit the net but I wouldn't bust a gut to get him back.

Plus Postie I cannot see too many clubs bigger than us wanting to take a gamble on him. Didnt exactly set the heather alight at Hearts or on loan down under. He wont get the same money again thats most definately for sure.

I am not criticising Sutton, but he had his time here, He chose to move on, end off. Lets look for players we can sell on and get the club some cash in the future.

lol..now thats just plain old guessing to support your argument. rolleyes.gif

blink.gif Where did I say that..??

You say "let's look for players we can sell on and get the club some cash in the future."

If we sign Sutton he has either looked at what there is and doesn't believe there is anything out there on our budget that has more potential than youngsters at the club or he hasn't bothered looking. It must have been one of them and I know what one I believe it to be.

To sum up there is loads of assumption in the first post you have quoted rolleyes.gif.

Yep my opinion is we shouldn't take him back and should build for the future with players we could get a return on. As such I do not believe that the club would get a future sale on Sutton. At the end of the day we are a selling club and its the only thing we can do to survive by bringing players in we can sell on. Ojamma done that for us whilst more lucrative players moved under freedom of contract, as Sutton previously done. That is my reasons nothing to do with him being lazy or shite. I just think we should invest in players we can get a return on. yes.gif

All well and good, and to some extent, I do agree. However if you look at the players we've lost in the last couple of years that we signed on that basis, we've not done all that well in moving them on for a fee. Jennings, Humphrey, Law, Randolph, all left at the end of their contracts without bringing money in for the club. I'm not sure if Higdon would fall into that bracket or not. However, the impact of those players is undeniable in terms of results, and this is something that, potentially, Sutton could offer.

We'll see what happens I guess, but I don't think we should be shying away from signing someone who may be able to do a job for us just because their resale potential is slim.

All well and good, and to some extent, I do agree. However if you look at the players we've lost in the last couple of years that we signed on that basis, we've not done all that well in moving them on for a fee. Jennings, Humphrey, Law, Randolph, all left at the end of their contracts without bringing money in for the club. I'm not sure if Higdon would fall into that bracket or not. However, the impact of those players is undeniable in terms of results, and this is something that, potentially, Sutton could offer.

We'll see what happens I guess, but I don't think we should be shying away from signing someone who may be able to do a job for us just because their resale potential is slim.

I agree, I think it is down to the market just now with so many free players but it still shouldn't stop us trying to bring in sellable assets. Just because the market at present is flat doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for the future by looking for these type of players rather than looking at guys who have no sell on value i.e Sutton. I see no benefits in signing him. I think Stuart McCall himself said he was getting loads of calls from agents and videos being sent in about players and if that's true he may have a lot of options and needs time to evaluate who he can bring in to improve the squad AND crucially sell on if we can get a buyer.

We have also benefited with the Bosman by signing all those players and therefore getting some extra prize money by finishing in the top 6 the last few years and getting into Europe. We can't complain if those same players then leave using the same method but served the club well. I include Sutton in that, but don't want the club to re-sign him as I don't think he will make the club any money if anything I think he will eat up too much in wages.