Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

We lost to Kuban at home and ruined all hope of us doing anything over there. We have Aberdeen on Sunday and the team arrive home on the Friday.

Id take beating Aberdeen over a trip to Russia any day. Great decision from McCall, disappointing but we cant have everything. Its only the start of a long season.

I'm with this.. ........................... The players have roughly 14hrs in a cramped charter plane to endure, an overnight in a strange bed and a demanding 90mins of european football in a hot and humid location, within a 42hr period. It took me days to recover from the Athens trip. A combination of dehydration and perhaps the most uncomfortable flight in my life took its toll.

While I didn't agree with last Thursday's formation/tactics, and blame them for our defeat, I'm happy for SM to leave who he wants to behind.

the three guys that have been left at home were candidates for getting dropped after their showings on sunday anyway.

hollis

kerr ramsden hutchinson mcmanus hammell

carswell lasley lawson zfa

arnier

we have as good a chance with that team as any. cross you fingers for a set piece goal.

Must be something in my coffee, but I agree with steelboy here. I think that the 3 left behind may well have been bit part players on Thursday, so no great harm done.

Fortunately, I do get to disagree with his spelling of "Anier", so the balance of the universe has been restored :)

What amuses me is a couple of people saying what's the point in finishing second if you're not going to have a go in Europe. I'd have thought from the players' and manager's point of view, it'd be to say you were the second best team in the country. And from the fans' point of view, it'd be seeing your team win the majority of their games and have pride in supporting the second best team in the country. Are people saying that if there was no such thing as European football then they wouldn't see the point in finishing second? If they are, they're fucking idiots, in my opinion. For me, the joy of last season was not "great, we're in Europe again" but "we've been a great team this season". Europe is a distraction, to be looked upon as glamorous pre-season games for us. This season, we didn't get the glamour but them's the breaks. I refuse to listen to people moaning about not having a go when it's the same people that said we didn't stand a chance after the draw was made..

For what it's worth, I reckon if we had St Johnstone's draw, we'd have done as well as they're doing. Is that bad luck or just an example of how finishing third gives you a better chance than finishing second given the seeds in the earlier rounds can be slightly weaker? Now there's a question to be asked and not of Stuart McCall...

Don't agree.

I understand we have enjoyed the football played in getting us second, but what I am trying to say is that the reward is a European place (Now my opinion of Uefa and Fifa is at an all time low. They are a corrupt bunch of c***s who will fight tooth and nail to make sure the rich get richer and the smaller nations like us become non entities. As long as the TV revenue cash cows are there - they don't give a fuck) but I digress. We have achieved a euro spot and the fans deserve the best team to be played in both rounds. The fact is after we got beaten 2-0 at a whimper(just like last season) our manager comes out and basically says the tie is over. Now I am not an idiot I know its an uphill task, but that just pisses me off. Do you think the Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier when his team were 3-0 down to AC Milan said to them 'just give up lads its all over' No I am sure they fucking went mental at each other in that dressing room and they came out pumped up to fuck and won the game and produced one of the greatest moments in their history.

I just feel we have a total inferiority complex in Europe and are just terrified we are going to get pumped instead of giving it a shot.

It fucking scunners me.

Don't agree.

I understand we have enjoyed the football played in getting us second, but what I am trying to say is that the reward is a European place (Now my opinion of Uefa and Fifa is at an all time low. They are a corrupt bunch of c***s who will fight tooth and nail to make sure the rich get richer and the smaller nations like us become non entities. As long as the TV revenue cash cows are there - they don't give a fuck) but I digress. We have achieved a euro spot and the fans deserve the best team to be played in both rounds. The fact is after we got beaten 2-0 at a whimper(just like last season) our manager comes out and basically says the tie is over. Now I am not an idiot I know its an uphill task, but that just pisses me off. Do you think the Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier when his team were 3-0 down to AC Milan said to them 'just give up lads its all over' No I am sure they fucking went mental at each other in that dressing room and they came out pumped up to fuck and won the game and produced one of the greatest moments in their history.

I just feel we have a total inferiority complex in Europe and are just terrified we are going to get pumped instead of giving it a shot.

It fucking scunners me.

Post of the year.

• Like 2

Some folk on here need to get a grip and their head out the clouds.

The tie is over the 3 players left behind are carrying small knocks (According to the papers) so why risk them when we have an important game on Sunday. The league is our bread and butter, Europe is and always will be a luxury which is great for folks who want to travel and have a holiday but we are never going to be able to compete against these bigger teams. Kubans squad is worth in the region of £50 million pounds. They had Cisse on the bench in the first leg that shows how much strength in depth they have.

Anyone having a go at McCall should take a look at themselves as he is doing what is right for MFC whether you like it or not he is the manager and makes the decisions and i for one am glad he has done so as i would rather beat Aberdeen than try and chase a lost cause over in Russia.

It fucking scunners me.

We have been beaten by far superior teams in our last 3 euro adventures would you rather we were beaten 7 - 0 at home ala Hibs

9tv and 2 other channels including federal russian channels will show live tv translations

for example here

http://www.corbina.tv/tv/9

or here

http://0n-line.tv/sport1-hd-online/ (need click start and wait one minute for watching)

or from second half here

http://live.russia.t...ex/channel_id/2

(first is regional TV-channel, last 2 links for all country TV channels)

I don't think its just in Euro contests that we have an inferiority complex.....

I love McCall but sometimes his mindset baffles me. Whenever we set up 'not' to lose other than win the game we seem to badly struggle. Cup Final against Celtic, first home game against Celtic last year, the "game" against Rangers at Ibrox, are just a couple of examples.

The other two home games last year against Celtic we went at them and tried to win... and did. I think his mentality can be slightly defeatist, but if he gets us 2nd in the league again this year I wont argue.

I noticed about this game that the lad Popov who scored both goals and to me ran the show is injured for tomorrow. One less bit of quality to worry about.

Do you think the Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier when his team were 3-0 down to AC Milan said to them 'just give up lads its all over' No I am sure they fucking went mental at each other in that dressing room and they came out pumped up to fuck and won the game and produced one of the greatest moments in their history.

I get the point, but I had to point out (pedantically) that it was Benitez.

I then actually started thinking about it. According to Benitez, the atmosphere was quiet in the dressing room, and what he did was some individual talks, and more importantly, tweak positions and roles. I appreciate that it still involved generally having his "best" players on the pitch, but it was largely a change of tactics. Is it at all possible, that McCall may actually have a plan for tomorrow, regarding the players whom he has with him?

For instance, I agree that they're three of our better players (and that's why they're rested), but another argument is that they are probably three of the slowest on the books.

I think Krasnodar are about as good as Celtic are - how often have they lost 3-0 at home to teams like us in the last ten to twelve years? Maybe once, so our chances of doing it are 1 in 200. Why would we risk three guys who are carrying knocks when the odds are so long. I'd like to think if we were starting 0-1 we'd have had a right good crack at them. As much as its annoying I can't fault McCall for being risk averse this time.

For instance, I agree that they're three of our better players (and that's why they're rested), but another argument is that they are probably three of the slowest on the books.

If it was a cunning plan he'd have taken them 1) as a decoy and 2) to try and influence a change.

I think Krasnodar are about as good as Celtic are - how often have they lost 3-0 at home to teams like us in the last ten to twelve years? Maybe once, so our chances of doing it are 1 in 200. Why would we risk three guys who are carrying knocks when the odds are so long. I'd like to think if we were starting 0-1 we'd have had a right good crack at them. As much as its annoying I can't fault McCall for being risk averse this time.

are you watching celtic just now?

they are brutal.