Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

It's all a cunning plan. Sources tell me Faddy was spotted boarding a flight bound for the East wearing an official Alan Burrows mask, whilst Vigurs is wearing a swimming cap and trying to pass himself off as Gordon Marshall.

TBH I couldn't care less what team is put out tomorrow. Put it this way, there's no pressure whatsoever to get a result, so in all probability the team will be able to go out with far fewer nerves than the home game, without all the baggage that McCall's pre-match comments may have generated.

And if we lose? Who cares. We'll have lost without three key players who will then be match fit for the weekend, and funnily enough two out of those three players are probably those most likely to be able to change the game with a single spark of brilliance than anyone else.

Storm in a teacup folks.

It's all a cunning plan. Sources tell me Faddy was spotted boarding a flight bound for the East wearing an official Alan Burrows mask, whilst Vigurs is wearing a swimming cap and trying to pass himself off as Gordon Marshall.

TBH I couldn't care less what team is put out tomorrow. Put it this way, there's no pressure whatsoever to get a result, so in all probability the team will be able to go out with far fewer nerves than the home game, without all the baggage that McCall's pre-match comments may have generated.

And if we lose? Who cares. We'll have lost without three key players who will then be match fit for the weekend, and funnily enough two out of those three players are probably those most likely to be able to change the game with a single spark of brilliance than anyone else.

Storm in a teacup folks.

Post of the Year....

Well not quite. But some overreaction on here or what.

If we had opened up and gone for it at Fir Park - we could have been done Hibs v Malmo style. All on here who are berating for lack of ambition, would instead have been bleating about how poor we were.

Kuban are unbeaten in 16 league games in the Russian top flight - that is code for they are a decent side..Our tactics were spot on and we were hoping for better than 2-0.

As for leaving 3 players behind. I have already stated that these three players have not actually started that well and are slow. I am happy that some of the younger players will get this experience and if Levante away is anything to go by - it may just help us.

My preference would have been to have a go at them with our strongest team. In saying that the decision to leave the 3 behind doesn't really bother me. Especially since I am not sure what our strongest team is!

I assume McCall knows what his tactics will be and I would have been inclined to leave Sutton out and go with someone more mobile up front anyway. I think similarly in midfield he will be going for more energy and workrate in place of the chance of Faddy producing a brilliant moment.

I don't think he lacks ambition, just that he is realistic and as someone mentioned, may well have chosen not to start the 3 of them anyway even if they had been there.

Still holding out hope for a 3 - 1 win for super well

Who would you play a weakened team against?

Kuban, away from home in an elite level knock out competition or Aberdeen, at home in a 38 round domestic competition?

I'd suggest it would be a better bet to play the weaker side against Aberdeen.

Also, what happens if we basically throw in the towel against Kuban, take a heavy defeat and then Aberdeen beat us at the weekend?

Does he really think three rested players will make the difference at the weekend?

Sometimes I do not understand Stuart McCall's mentality.

It's very hard to play at Kuban stadium when it's full because it's very big moral pressure for away team - that's why Kuban almost never lose at home.

PS... Your coach told that he want to win 7-2 tomorrow :) - good joke.

30 thousands of tickets sold for this moment.

Kristian Molinaro from Stutgart came to Kuban but he will play only month later.

Don't agree.

I understand we have enjoyed the football played in getting us second, but what I am trying to say is that the reward is a European place (Now my opinion of Uefa and Fifa is at an all time low. They are a corrupt bunch of c***s who will fight tooth and nail to make sure the rich get richer and the smaller nations like us become non entities. As long as the TV revenue cash cows are there - they don't give a fuck) but I digress. We have achieved a euro spot and the fans deserve the best team to be played in both rounds. The fact is after we got beaten 2-0 at a whimper(just like last season) our manager comes out and basically says the tie is over. Now I am not an idiot I know its an uphill task, but that just pisses me off. Do you think the Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier when his team were 3-0 down to AC Milan said to them 'just give up lads its all over' No I am sure they fucking went mental at each other in that dressing room and they came out pumped up to fuck and won the game and produced one of the greatest moments in their history.

I just feel we have a total inferiority complex in Europe and are just terrified we are going to get pumped instead of giving it a shot.

It fucking scunners me.

Hardly a perfect analogy though is it. A better analogy would be Arsenal not chucking it despite getting spanked by Bayern Munich at home in the CL last season. As it happens they went out on goal difference but like Liverpool in the example you gave they also had a squad full of international class players who earned many thousands of pounds a week.

We on the other hand operate largely in a different world. I guarantee you if the tie was even half alive McFadden etc would be getting gaffer taped up to get them on the park as it is though we've blown our chance of a giant killing and it is never in a month of sundays going to happen in deepest Russia from a two goal deficit. Unless in a tactical stroke of genious by leaving three of our best players at home McCall suckers them into playing a weakened team that thinks the jobs done and a bunch of our youngsters playing with no fear or pressure to produce a result cause the upset of the year!

If we pip Aberdeen to a European spot by a point due to getting something from Sundays game then maybe we'll get a bit more luck in the draw like St.Johnstone got this year. Maybe not, we might still get stuffed but I quite happy for McCall to pick and choose his battles. I'm less pleased about the first leg performance but it's done with.

If we go through against the Russians, I will stick my neck out and say it will be the single best result a Scottish team has ever achieved in Europe. Simply put: it ain't happening.

Aberdeen look like they'll be one of our main challengers this season so Sundays game is fairly important in terms of our bread and butter league season. No brainer for me.

It's far from likely right now but the advantages to our club progressing through this round are huge. But while there is still a slight chance then I'd much rather he put his all into winning this tie and if it means we slip up against Aberdeen, then we make up the ground within the remaining 36 games.

It's far from likely right now but the advantages to our club progressing through this round are huge. But while there is still a slight chance then I'd much rather he put his all into winning this tie and if it means we slip up against Aberdeen, then we make up the ground within the remaining 36 games.

We'll have to agree to disagree, and I can understand why you hold your opinion- there would be nobody in the world happier than me if we managed a cheeky 1-3 tomorrow night!

If we go through against the Russians, I will stick my neck out and say it will be the single best result a Scottish team has ever achieved in Europe.

Not even close. There are many that would trump it from Dundee Utd beating Barcelona in both home and away legs to Hibs famous victory at Easter Road against Napoli when they had lost 4-1 in the first leg and won the second leg 5 - 0.

Not even close. There are many that would trump it from Dundee Utd beating Barcelona in both home and away legs to Hibs famous victory at Easter Road against Napoli when they had lost 4-1 in the first leg and won the second leg 5 - 0.

Splitting hairs here but I would argue that the gulf in resources between those sides doesn't compare to what we face now, not to mention the length of the journey.

Anyway, that wasn't really my point- just that to say we have a mountain to climb would be an understatement.

I hope for the sake of your argument that we don't take a 1-0 lead in the 2nd half and don't have the likes of Faddy to throw on and clinch an equaliser and we fizzle out with the glorious failure tag. Oh how you'd wish Faddy was there.

The team with Faddy and co lost to Kuban at home. If the team without them go there and win then I would suggest Stuart McCall has a major selection headache going forward.

The team with Faddy and co lost to Kuban at home. If the team without them go there and win then I would suggest Stuart McCall has a major selection headache going forward.

Especially if we get beat by the sheep on Sunday :laugh: