Safe Standing At Fir Park, Do We Want It Back ?

Spiderpig

Apparently supporters groups from more than 50% of all EPL clubs want safe standing areas to be introduced and tried out at their grounds, looks to be based on the German model.

Given the style of the areas, new rail type seats that can be used if required and the cost of ripping out existing seating to install the new adaptable type, i doubt very much if the idea will go down well with many club chairmen / owners. Is this something that we would want to try at Fir park, views and comments please.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25136422

People obviously forgetting the discomfort of standing for 90 minutes on a block of concrete or a heap of ash.

If you are old enough to remember you'd probably be wishing for your old seat pretty quickly, if you are too young to remember you don't know what you are talking about.

And the idea that terraces some how improve the atmosphere is a lot of rubbish. Sure, maybe at Borussia Dortmund or something when they have 20,000 fans on a terrace but not in a sparsely populated terrace with a small crowd dotted around the barriers.

Pure idealized, nostalgia tinged rubbish. If you think things are bad now think back to standing on an open terrace at Tynecastle getting humped 5-0 with a few hundred fans getting soaked in the monsoon.

You might as well campaign for toilets to be taken out and everyone pisses up a wall as used to be the case!

People obviously forgetting the discomfort of standing for 90 minutes on a block of concrete or a heap of ash.

If you are old enough to remember you'd probably be wishing for your old seat pretty quickly, if you are too young to remember you don't know what you are talking about.

And the idea that terraces some how improve the atmosphere is a lot of rubbish. Sure, maybe at Borussia Dortmund or something when they have 20,000 fans on a terrace but not in a sparsely populated terrace with a small crowd dotted around the barriers.

Pure idealized, nostalgia tinged rubbish. If you think things are bad now think back to standing on an open terrace at Tynecastle getting humped 5-0 with a few hundred fans getting soaked in the monsoon.

You might as well campaign for toilets to be taken out and everyone pisses up a wall as used to be the case!

I am old enough to remember and that pretty much sums it up for me..standing terraces have had their day, not many people would pay £20 to stand at the cinema, so why do it at football.

As for creating atmosphere nah..bezzer is right if we suddenly start attracting large crowds to fir park maybe, but on our average crowd i dont think so

I'm just old enough to remember, but mainly I think you are referring to not having a roof? That was definitely miserable. But presuming safe standing would be roofed I'd be massively in favour I can't get used to sitting even now.

Think I'be posted before, that safe standinding across the entire east stand, renovating the main stand, and adding a plastic pitch, is the cheapest route to regenerating our ground and club.

The seats in the East Stand are fairly typical. Quickly installed on exisitng terracing, no leg room and overfriendly with your neighbours. The plastic is also very uncomfortable.

I'd definitely prefer standing over that option. It's also easier to keep warm in the winter when you are standing and can move around a bit.

If you don't think standing improves atmosphere, go to a concert where everyone is standing and compare it to one where everyone is sitting and see which one is louder.

You forgot to mention the joy of standing in the choir under the shed singing yer heart out (East stand for you youngsters) next to the fence and jumping about like an eejit when we scored !!!!!

That was the main attraction for me attending at the Arc in the Mid 70's

" nostalgia tinged rubbish"..........possibly, but as crowds are now dwindling its about time the footballing authorities/chairmen etc etc took note of what fans want.....standing.

I'm all for it .......but will be keeping my seat in the Cooper :whistling:......its an age thing !!!

Some people want to stand and some want to sit- very valid reasons for both preferences, but the point is that the option should be available to do either. Assuming that the standing section would cost less to maintain than a seated area would also imply that the admission price should be cheaper.

Lower cost + better atmosphere = more folk..... surely?

Well said. And also, do people loose their voice when they sit down?

However, if it goes ahead it will cost the teams money to implement, and as such will these same punters be willing to provide subsidies though ticket money so they get what they are wanting ? Or do they expect to get this converted for free and then pay less in ticket money, reducing the money through the gate?

Some people want to stand and some want to sit- very valid reasons for both preferences, but the point is that the option should be available to do either. Assuming that the standing section would cost less to maintain than a seated area would also imply that the admission price should be cheaper.

Lower cost + better atmosphere = more folk..... surely?

Surely the standing area will also be a seating area? Since standing areas would still be a no no in UEFA competition.

I'm well old enough to remember standing in the pouring rain on terraces in Scotland and going back to that ain't an improvement in my opinion.

Last time I was at a Scotland game everybody was standing and by half time we were all desperate to sit down for a rest as our legs were killing us.

Maybe I'm just too old and if you want to stand fair enough but I will still buy my season for a seat in the East Stand.

Mon the Dossers.

I'm well old enough to remember standing in the pouring rain on terraces in Scotland and going back to that ain't an improvement in my opinion.

Last time I was at a Scotland game everybody was standing and by half time we were all desperate to sit down for a rest as our legs were killing us.

Maybe I'm just too old and if you want to stand fair enough but I will still buy my season for a seat in the East Stand.

Mon the Dossers.

You know the roof on the East Stand was there before they put the seats in? Why would you choose to stand in the rain when there was plenty of shelter available?

I remember the bad old days at Easter Road and Tynecastle in the pouring rain.

I also remember the apparent good days in a seat under cover watching a Scottish Cup tie last December when it was something like minus six.

Both just as unpleasant as each other.

Evidently there's a demand for terracing. It surely suits all interests if that demand can be met so that a choice can be offered. I think it's that simple.