Partick Thistle V Motherwell 29/12/13

superwell87

Thistle aren't a bad team. Last match at Fir Park I thought the double barreled left back was very good (something-Fletcher). They have a decent keeper too, but they can't score for shit apparently. My collegue is a Thistle ST holder and he likes the way they play but he says they really struggle to score. They are getting dangerously close to that playoff place so they will be desperate for a win. I feel a 1 - 1 draw coming on.

Thistle are playing better than results have suggested and despite creating chances they have struggled to find the net (hopefully that will continue until after our game). I would be happy with a point, however I am predicting a narrow 1-0 win for the Well.

It's a common problem for newly promoted teams to find goals hard to come by. Defences are better, time to shoot is less and, typically, chances are fewer. If you crack that problem, you have a great chance of staying up in your rookie season. Hopefully, we can keep things tight at the back and give them another bad day at the office.

I don't think it will be an easy game, but I think if we play at the same level as our last couple of matches, we can win this one.

However, based on the result in the 1929/30 season (when they beat us 6 - 1), I'd be happy with a point. Also, Lawless hasn't scored since August, so based on that fact he is world beater that we should never have let go, he could well get a hat trick in this one.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1734&team2_id=2081&teamTabs=h2h

The all time head to is here, I'm quite surprised to see they are a good bit ahead of us overall. We've no wins at all there since January 97 which considering we must have won at 30 plus grounds since then makes it notable.

I'm confident we'll get the three points on Sunday though and change that. Hopefully it'll be a good atmosphere similar to the game at Tynecastle on the same date a few years ago.

It's a common problem for newly promoted teams to find goals hard to come by. Defences are better, time to shoot is less and, typically, chances are fewer. If you crack that problem, you have a great chance of staying up in your rookie season. Hopefully, we can keep things tight at the back and give them another bad day at the office.

My Thistle mate has been happy with the way they have been playing, however, proven goal scorers at SPL level are hard to come by. That’s why Killie are lucky to have someone like Kris Boyd, as without him they would be struggling to find the net. Even with their spending power Celtic have only got one player in the Premiership top ten goal scoring charts for 2013. Billy McKay is way out in the lead with 14 goals which is a remarkable strike rate at this point in the season (however I am sure John Hughes will soon put a stop to that) laugh1.gif

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1734&team2_id=2081&teamTabs=h2h

The all time head to is here, I'm quite surprised to see they are a good bit ahead of us overall. We've no wins at all there since January 97 which considering we must have won at 30 plus grounds since then makes it notable.

I'm confident we'll get the three points on Sunday though and change that. Hopefully it'll be a good atmosphere similar to the game at Tynecastle on the same date a few years ago.

whats notable is that when we did play them, we were in administration, so although it reads bad that its been some time since we had a victory at Firhill, it's not so surprising when you look at the limited amount of fixtures and what each team had going for them.

as for the game, I'm surprised there is so much confidence going around

having watched Thistle, someone else mentioned it, they are not as bad as the league table indicates.

if they have a decent left side and we line up as we did in Aberdeen, they'll probably get something from that area, we rode our luck and its unlikely to get through two games with luck

Id rather have Ramsden out there covering but McCall seems to prefer using him in the middle over Kerr, and with Hutch being suspended, so either way we'll have a makeshift (tho' decent) defence

someone else suggested dropping Lawson, no way, I'd have him sitting right in front middle of the defence, as he did yesterday, Thistle try and shoot from distance and break through the middle, he seems suited to that role, and getting a decent shot or two off himself.

Leaves Lasley Carswell and Ainsworth further forward, Lasley and Carswell had tremendous games yesterday, Ainsworth very quiet goal apart, but reckon more to do with how much work we were doing defensively

up front? Anier is on form just now and working hard since Henrik motivated him again, Sutton I'm not sure if I'd prefer the movement of Moore? do we need the added defensive capability of Sutton? McCall can throw the dice on that one.

Vigurs can save his lazy arse on the bench, and come on and set up and score goals from around the hour mark, something needs to rattle his cage to put the effort in for his full stint on the pitch

having watched Thistle, someone else mentioned it, they are not as bad as the league table indicates.

See, for me, the league table is a pretty precise indicator of a team. Not a predictor for a specific game, but a good gauge of overall performance.

From what I have seen (and heard), Thistle are a decent footballing side who struggle to score and are a bit shaky in the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game.

I don't for one second think it will be an easy game, but we tend to perform better against footballing teams than against teams to try to out-muscle us or park the bus. If we maintain our recent intensity and focus from the last couple of games, we have a good chance of coming home with some points.

1388155199[/url]' post='402117']

If we were to get four wins on the trot it would be a sensational end to a month that started so badly for us. However I reckon we'll struggle here as Thistle are probably one of the better bottom six sides and we tend to struggle at Firhill. I can see them winning 2-0 here sadly.

Tit

Wee bit nervous about the game as Thistle are potentially much more dangerous than their league position suggests. There's also going to be a point where the Christmas schedule takes it's toll on our squad.

Having read that Osbourne and Welsh are both missing is a significant boost though as it will leave a gaping hole in front of their defence.

Looking forward to this game - local fixture for me and I've been invited to hospitality. I'm in the Jackie Husband Stand so will try to get some photos of any displays.

Got a few Thistle supporting mates and has been mentioned, they seem to be playing reasonably without scoring enough goals. At Fir Park we struggled to cope with their overlapping full backs and we've not done very well at helping our full backs this season - that seems to have improved recently which could be important.They don't seem to be the biggest team so we could have some opportunities from set-pieces. I really don't know how the score will go but it's a great chance to open up a slight gap - here's hoping.