Dundee United V Motherwell 21/02/14

milo

A very tough fixture but one we've been doing ok in over the last few years (unlike our home record against them). Sadly United have now won a couple of games after largely being murder for about 6 or 7 prior to that.

I think Ramsden and Kerr will still be missing so it will probably be Hammell at right back and Franci-Angol at left back which isn't the best but here we are. Ainsworth is going to have to work better at tracking back to offer more protection.

Reports of Lasley being missing is a major concern, but he was up on someones shoulders singing SIWY at his race night so his knee cannae be that sore surely?!?!? Lawson will probably come in for him if he misses out? I would actually try Vigurs in the middle, but at the moment we then have no-one who can play on the left.

I'd start Anier aswell.

Not losing this game would be a tremendous result.

Not losing this game would be a tremendous result.

Yip, I'd take a point right now. It's really a must-win game for United if they have ambitions of qualifying for Europe via the league. A draw would obviously keep them 9 behind us, plus we'd have a game in hand and would have played Celtic, Aberdeen and Utd in this round of fixtures.

Fingers crossed either Kerr or Ramsden are back, and we can get Hammell back to the left. Higginbotham destroyed him at times on Saturday.

1-1, Sutton for us.

Even though history books (recent) say we're a banker to get at least one point from this game?

History books also say we have only won 1 of the last 7 league matches Keith Lasley has missed with 5 losses in there (1-1-5).

He will be a big, big loss if he doesn't make it as was suggested in the post match comments.

Also if we struggled with Kallum Higginbotham and Chris Erskine we are going to have to do a lot better against Gary Mackay-Stevens, Ryan Gauld and Stuart Armstrong.

Dundee Utd have only lost 2 games at home this season - to Celtic (1-0, 87th minute goal) and Aberdeen (2-1, 90th minute goal).

Obviously no push overs on their own ground.

• Like 1

Thing is, prior to the last week where they seem to have turned the corner a wee bit, they had been murder for 6 or 7 games! They lost 4-1 to st mirren and 3-0 to St Johnstone among other results.

The importance of Lasley obviously can't be underestimated though.

History books count for nothing. With hammell at right back and Angol at left back united will tear us apart.

3nil united.

This. They destroyed us with their pace at For Park in November and without a recognised full back then their wide players could have a field day against us.

Take a point from this one and be happy to keep everything ticking over. 3 points would be a great result as Utd are no mugs.

Also think Lasley will be key for this game but maybe as some have said Lawson might just grab his chance to show what he is made of.

Mon the Well

This. They destroyed us with their pace at For Park in November and without a recognised full back then their wide players could have a field day against us.

I can follow the logic but by the same token you have been predicting us to get humped in the majority of games we have had since Utd, so forgive us for not taking you too seriously.

Still, you'v got to get it right at some point. Sun shines on a dugs arse now and again.....

Thing is, prior to the last week where they seem to have turned the corner a wee bit, they had been murder for 6 or 7 games! They lost 4-1 to st mirren and 3-0 to St Johnstone among other results.

Think that had something to do with McNamara thinking he was Jose Mourinho. Starts tinkering with the side and playing reserves v St Johnstone and resting Gauld and Souttar. Wish he would do the same v us, but suspect he may well just play his strongest side. The Well are not to be messed with. Although without Lasley and a recognised right back we just might be......

In their bad run they had 5 out of 7 matches away from home.

Yip, I'd take a point right now. It's really a must-win game for United if they have ambitions of qualifying for Europe via the league. A draw would obviously keep them 9 behind us, plus we'd have a game in hand and would have played Celtic, Aberdeen and Utd in this round of fixtures.

Fingers crossed either Kerr or Ramsden are back, and we can get Hammell back to the left. Higginbotham destroyed him at times on Saturday.

1-1, Sutton for us.

Agree with that, whether they are back or not. Moving Hammell to the right means we have 2 weak flanks. I would put Hammell back to the left anyway. If they are out I'd put Carswell to rightback. Lawson and Huchie helping him out. I thought of pulling Ainsworth putting Mcfadden there and playing Sutton since Lionel is not going to be much help to Carswell. However, since we have a weak right defensive flank then the best approach would be to attack more than we have to defend. But I think Carswell at right back would be much better than moving Hammell there.

Also, I think with Ainsworth, Anier and Angol being pretty mobile would be good targets for Mcfadden and Lawson to pick out with through balls or balls in behind the defense and of course for quick counter attacks.

i think I'd go with the team below if Ramsden, Kerr and Lasley are out

Neilsen

Carswell

Hutchie

McManus

Hammell

Ainsworth

Lawson

Vigurs

Angol

McFadden

Anier

I see adullts can take 2 under 12s for £1 each.

Prices for the home support are as follows:-

Upper:

£21 - adults

£12 - concessions (U18s & 65s and over)

Lower:

£19 – adults

£10 - concessions (U18s / 65s and over / FTS*)

£1 - U-12s - a maximum of two under-12s per full paying adult entering George Fox Lower Tier - 33 & 38 and the Jerry Kerr Stand 8 & 10

Prices for the away support (accommodated in the Jim McLean Fair Play Stand Upper Tier) are as follows:-

Upper:

£21 - adults

£20 - restricted view (adults)

£12 - concessions (U18s, 65s and over & FTS*)

£1 - Under-12s - a maximum of two Under-12s per full paying adult entering the Jim McLean Fair Play Upper Tier via turnstile 14.

There is also a promotion whrre a United season ticket holder can take a friend for £5.

Agree with that, whether they are back or not. Moving Hammell to the right means we have 2 weak flanks. I would put Hammell back to the left anyway. If they are out I'd put Carswell to rightback. Lawson and Huchie helping him out. I thought of pulling Ainsworth putting Mcfadden there and playing Sutton since Lionel is not going to be much help to Carswell. However, since we have a weak right defensive flank then the best approach would be to attack more than we have to defend. But I think Carswell at right back would be much better than moving Hammell there.

Also, I think with Ainsworth, Anier and Angol being pretty mobile would be good targets for Mcfadden and Lawson to pick out with through balls or balls in behind the defense and of course for quick counter attacks.

i think I'd go with the team below if Ramsden, Kerr and Lasley are out

Neilsen

Carswell

Hutchie

McManus

Hammell

Ainsworth

Lawson

Vigurs

Angol

McFadden

Anier

If Lasley is out, for me you simply can't move Carswell. Dundee United are a team with pace, energy and mobility and a 442 with Lawson and Vigurs at the heart of it would in my opinion end up being disastrous. Both lack mobility and they would get overrun in there and offer very little protection to our fragile, makeshift defence.

If Lasley is out we're going to desperately need Carswell's energy, mobility and tenacity in the middle of the park. The young lad will have to step up in Keith's absence and be on top form if we're to come away with anything from this one.

If Lasley is out, for me you simply can't move Carswell. Dundee United are a team with pace, energy and mobility and a 442 with Lawson and Vigurs at the heart of it would in my opinion end up being disastrous. Both lack mobility and they would get overrun in there and offer very little protection to our fragile, makeshift defence.

If Lasley is out we're going to desperately need Carswell's energy, mobility and tenacity in the middle of the park. The young lad will have to step up in Keith's absence and be on top form if we're to come away with anything from this one.

I suppose whichever way you look at it, with the lack of fit first choice players there is going to be a weakness somewhere defensively. McCall has to work out the best way to minimize the weakness. From what little I have seen of Utd I thought their strength was the wide players but you may be right.

Neilson

Murray Hutch McManus Hammell

Carswell Lawson Vigurs

Anier Faddy

Sutton

I agree that playing Hammell at right back weakens both flanks, so I would put him back to left back and give young Murray his chance - I've seen that lad play for the youth teams in the past and was impressed by him. Only other option is to shoe horn Carswell or Lawson in at right-back but that will just weaken our midfield further.

From what I've seen of Lawson, he is going to struggle in a midfield two, and the same can be said for Vigurs, so I've gone with a compact midfield 3 which should make us tighter in there.

For me, Anier and McFadden just offer far more effort than Ainsworth does, and when we are struggling for bodies with people playing in unusual positions and in a slightly unusual formation, there is no room for passengers - good impact sub to have though.

The other one missing out is ZFA, if someone can make an argument for this lad to be given a berth in any Motherwell team, I'd love to hear it. I can't work out what his position is, and I can't work out what he offers the team.

Other than that, we are down to the bare bones.....McHugh and Cummins both on loan, with potentially Hollis, Kerr, Ramsden, Lasley, Moore all out.....when was the last time we had so many players unavailable for selection?

p.s. Is this match on TV, or is it just a 'Friday Night' game, for the fuck of it?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/friday-night-frights-for-skip-las-152503n.23467115

Friday night frights for skip Las

KEITH LASLEY has not given up hope of leading Motherwell out at Tannadice on Friday night.

Bert MitchellSports WriterTuesday 18/02/20140 CommentsSharePrint23468963.jpgLasley has undergone physio in the last few days on knee problemThe Fir Park skip suffered a knee injury after just 10 minutes of Motherwell's 4-3 SPFL Premiership win over Partick Thistle.

Despite managing to battle on gamely for the remainder of the match, Lasley has been the subject of physiotherapy after suffering a reaction to his medial knee ligament.

The Well captain is likely to sit out training for the rest of the week as Well's medical team try to rehabilitate him for the trip to face Dundee United, but Las admits it will be touch and go.

He said: "It was one of those ones where I went into a 50/50 with Kallum Higginbotham with my foot planted and I felt the impact go right up into the knee.

"Fortunately, the medical attention I got at the time got me up and going and I guess the sheer adrenalin of what was a tremendous game of football carried me through.

"But towards the end of the game I was really beginning to feel it and afterwards it was a case of playing it very safe.

"But we have excellent physios here with John Porteous and Adam Stokes and, with a bit more attention yesterday, we seem to have things under control.

"Usually within 48 hours you know if things are not too good, so it is looking pretty hopeful. But when it comes to Friday, who knows?" Looking back on what is a frontrunner for game of the season, Lasley admits the Jags can consider themselves unlucky not to have taken a share of the spoils from Fir Park.

The Well skipper said: "To be fair to Partick, they were very unlucky not to have got a draw.

"It can't be too often that you go away from home, score three goals and leave empty-handed.

"They played a lot of good football and I thought Higgy (Kallum Higginbotham) was outstanding.

"From our point of view, we can be happy with scoring four, but we obviously need to tighten things up at the back for Friday up at Tannadice."

Saturday's victory over Thistle keeps Well just one point behind second-placed Aberdeen.

But with Dundee United having strung together a three-game unbeaten run, and hammered Well 4-0 the last time the two sides met, Lasley is wary of the Arabs' threat.

He said: "United look to have got back on the horse and are starting to return to the kind of form they were in when we last played them in November.

"Obviously they were involved in a bit of a thriller themselves last time out by edging out Killie 3-2, so they will be buoyed by that.

"But Tannadice is a ground we have done pretty well at over the last couple of seasons and we drew 2-2 in our first game with United up there earlier in the campaign.

"So we can take some confidence from that. I just hope I will be available for selection come Friday night."

• Like 1

Away and dont talk shite, you really are a sad depressing fuckwit with nothing useful to contribute to any discussion. :doh:

• Like 2