Board Statement

Dezz

I have zero clue about financials but if I'm reading it correctly then a positive spin can be put on the statement. The club hasn't just stuck there head in the sand , the losses have dropped each year and with a top 6 finish , going a bit further in the cups , a European campaign that doesn't send us off to the darkest corner of Eastern Europe and maybe even a player sale hopefully we'll see a profit next year.

Others have put a positive spin on the statement but it deeply concerns me that in one of the most successful periods in the clubs history we have posted three annual losses of considerable magnitude.

Are we one or two poor seasons away from another administration?

I'm not a member of the Well Society but I probably put about £500 a year into the club and I can't afford any more. In fact if every Motherwell supporter put that much money into the club our turnover would be 4 times higher than it is.

They're talking about this statement just now on Radio Scotland and they've said over £100,000 also. Can people not understand what a 5 figure sum means!

2. For 2013/14 we currently anticipate a loss moderately in excess of five figures for the year.

which to me means over £99,999.

• Like 2

If the well society vehicle isn't working after this length of time then I've absolutely no qualms about the club looking for other finance.

It's what I would hope they would do.

I think The Well Society and fans should be praised for what they have done. However, given the size of our fan base, the Lanarkshire economy and the time its taken to raise £400k, its maybe time to take a reality check and look at other options.

Developing more young players and selling on, and more effective sponsorship have already been mentioned. What effective schemes work on the continent that haven't been tried yet?

These points are small ball in terms of the huge figures mentioned however they are relevant on the commercial side.

1. No fans game this year. This could have raised £7-8k based on 28 guys paying on average £250 for a shirt. £2 for spectators which would draw in the usual 200+ mark.

2. No game on the park for a local side who would have also hosted an awards evening at the stadium. I'd estimate this to be worth over £1k.

Missed opportunities to make a decent sum.

Was at least £2k last year but that's by the by. It's just one of many smaller revenue streams that have been missed out on by nothing other than incompetence.

As someone alluded to in another post, I'd like to know exactly where my money goes when I put it into the various avenues of the overall business. I personally contribute to the 'Well Society, the 'Well Lotto, ticket money, pie stall, programmes, club shop, bars/functions, Community Trust, etc etc and I would re-evaluate how much I put to each place if I thought Stuart McCall would benefit from it. This "one pot" patter is a load of pish and I couldn't care less about the stationery budget or 'Flow getting a Lazyboy in his new office.

What I gathered at the Well Society AGM was that the business community didn't fancy the Well Society and if they were to invest wanted to do so directly to the club. I'm no businessman but I'm sure there is a prudent financial reason for this on their behalf. This has certainly trimmed the potential of investment. The club were very clear at the AGM they were going to approach these businesses and others again directly. Not overly concerned.

Was at least £2k last year but that's by the by. It's just one of many smaller revenue streams that have been missed out on by nothing other than incompetence.

As someone alluded to in another post, I'd like to know exactly where my money goes when I put it into the various avenues of the overall business. I personally contribute to the 'Well Society, the 'Well Lotto, ticket money, pie stall, programmes, club shop, bars/functions, Community Trust, etc etc and I would re-evaluate how much I put to each place if I thought Stuart McCall would benefit from it. This "one pot" patter is a load of pish and I couldn't care less about the stationery budget or 'Flow getting a Lazyboy in his new office.

Unfortunately the club needs everything in the 'pot', because like it or not the playing budget, whilst the most important, isn't the only function of the club - but you know that and don't need me to point it out - even though I just have. :thumbup:

But your comment has made me evaluate and think about future contributions to either 'Well Society or club directly and what would benefit the Club most - would love to do both just can't. I had considered upping my contribution to the Well Society, then thought that perhaps the additional money may be better channelled to the Club, given its current predicament.

Anyone care to offer some practical advice. My initial thought was to pay for extra season tickets, to the value of my increased contribution, thereby providing the Club with direct funds, but this would be a one-off and unlikely to be available year-on-year. The other obvious alternative is to upgrade the subscription and let the Well Society filter the money to the club as and when required. I want to help as much as I can, but am unsure which direction to take on this.

Anybody else in this predicament.

I think the Well Society board could be doing more to raise capital for the pot. I understand that folk joining or upping their subscriptions is what they want but after the first initial push we've had a distinct lack of momentum.

Pretty impressive sums are raised by charities by hosting various fundraisers being held throughout the year. We've got the cooper and centenary at our disposal and I cant think of anything events they've put on. The fans game being the most obvious.

What about an end of season shindig with all the drink behind the bar being removed and replaced with bottles purchased by the WS (and sold at the clubs current pricing), would that not raise a tidy sum? Would having it as a ticketed event not boost that further? Would having a quick auction for (the redundant) player signed puma kits not further boost that if everyone's out their tits? Maybe a raffle with donated prizes? This list isn't exhaustive.

I'm not saying that fundraisers like this are going to help reach the November target but more of an effort from the WS would not go a miss. For them to start thinking past, what is essentially a donation, is a must but I think it could be too little too late.

which to me means over £99,999.

Ok, I'll put my hand up and admit to being confused by how much they actually mean. If it's a low 6 figure sum, why didn't they just say so?

It does make you realise how important that win at Aberdeen was.

I think the Well Society board could be doing more to raise capital for the pot. I understand that folk joining or upping their subscriptions is what they want but after the first initial push we've had a distinct lack of momentum.

The lack of momentum is because there are only so many people how can put in the minimium of £300 on top of season tickets and other costs. I think we've more or less reached the limit there. I doubt there will have been many people who could put this money in who have been holding off.

The lack of momentum is because there are only so many people how can put in the minimium of £300 on top of season tickets and other costs. I think we've more or less reached the limit there. I doubt there will have been many people who could put this money in who have been holding off.

That's actually my point though, so if we're more or less maxed out on memberships then why are The WS not fundraising? Why haven't they done any since the plateau?

why are The WS not fundraising? Why haven't they done any since the plateau?

They have. There was a bucket collection at the St Johnstone game and a quiz night was held on 9 May.

In terms of overall fund raising, Welldaft has hit the nail on the head, as he often does. To quote him " Hearts got 8000 fans to sign up for their appeal. But that was because their club was going bust. We sign up less than 1000 because we did not appear under any real financial threat or pressure."

I'm confident that if we are in real trouble our fans will respond.

I remember the bucket collection now you mention it, could have done one every home game though as opposed to the odd one or two.

I wasn't aware of the quiz night however (busy studying for exams) but that's certainly a step in the right direction.

Personally, I'd see more appeal in some kind of end of season party, euro night or a replay of the cup win during the close season. All occasions to sell a lot drink and if the WS have their own bottles behind the bar, it'll raise a fair bit at nominal cost.

The M.F.C ebay thing seemed to raise decent amount of money too, not just for the fans game but also all of the signed kit. I'm sure there must be a stack of match-worn Faddy kit that could be auctioned off. Hutchy is a bit of a cult hero and if he leaves his kit will surely fetch decent sums of money. They could run a goal of the season competition and auction off the boot that scored it (fancy presentation box, signed photo of the goal being scored, etc....). I know we're talking hundreds of pounds rather than thousands but it all counts and it give fans their mementos too.

Just wondering if that was one of Leanne's projects, hence a possible reason for the lack of recent activity....

Agree with this, given our average fan base i always thought that the targets set by the WS were a bit ambitious, i think that everybody who can afford to and wants to join has already done so. I think it's now up to the board and / or WS to try to seek some external investment into the club, maximise current revenue streams, and generally try to live within our means. They have done well in recent seasons to try to keep the player budget as high as it can be and this has been rewarded by consecutive runners up spots, European football etc.

Fan / community ownership is a great idea but for a club of our size and limited fan base, i dont think it is viable.